Is nursing becoming a "too many chiefs and not enough Indians" problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SterlingMaloryArcher

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am not against nurses, my mom is a nurse and the first piece of advice a physician I shadowed was "make friends with the nurses." I recognize nurses are important. Nurses should never be bullied or belittled.

That said I came across an article a nurse had shared complaining about doctors. In it said "People need to start seeing physicians and nurses as equal and complementary, too often it is seen as a master-slave relationship."

I agree that they are certainly complementary, even vital, but equal doesn't sit well with me.

Yes they do different things, but if the physician doesn't ultimately run the show then why do nurses need physicians orders? Or why do people say "I'm going to see the doctor."? Why do malpractice lawyers mostly go after the physicians? Why is it that physician training is 2-3x longer and more rigorous the entire way through? Why can't nurses (not talking about NP's just yet) open their own practices? I think because without a physician, their scope of practice is fairly limited. There are things nurses are experts in that physicians aren't (quite a bit on nutrition, various nursing diagnoses which largely pertain to emotional wellbeing), and that's where I can see the "complementary" aspect, but when nurses are working in a medical setting like a hospital, practicing their additional skills (clinical skills carried out per physicians orders), they are acting as vital support staff, not equals. I think a huge problem is that millennials, and a lot of other people in this time take offense to being considered anything less than the HBIC.

Do nurses argue that RN's are equal to NP's? I didn't think so, so why do they think they are equal to MD's? The level and scope of care simply isn't the same. I'm not saying that as an opinion or to be insulting, it's simply a fact. The "Master-Servant" thing was their words, not mine. I think we are getting too politically correct in healthcare - It hurts your feelings that your title is not considered quite equal to someone else with much more education, risk involved, and sacrificed personal life? Then do what they did, and earn the same credentials; or even go NP if you want to be more independent, have prescriptive authority, etc. and then you can write your own orders and be ultimately responsible for a panel of your own patients!

I understand it's uncomfortable to talk about rank sometimes, for example I am a supervisor at my job. I believe I am no better than the rank and file as a human, but for the purpose of work I am above them but that doesn't mean I belittle them. Maybe this is where doctors have gone wrong. I have found that good relations with your subordinates goes a looooooong way - say I miss something, loyal employees will look out for you, employees you've treated badly will let it come back on you. Yes I will acknowledge that nurses can be sued, just like employees can (and are) disciplined, but it is almost guaranteed it will come back to the supervisor in some way because the supervisor is considered to be ultimately responsible, similar to the perceived or expected "ultimate responsibility" of the physician.

I completely believe in patient centered care, working as a team of physicians, nurses and allied health, but c'mon isn't it obvious there's a clinical hierarchy here? Why do some nurses feel the need to challenge it?

If I'm missing something or seeing it from a skewed angle, please enlighten me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You're not missing anything. Its an ego problem, money problem, etc.. But this topic is discussed here frequently, and I don't think its a bad thing. However, this place is an echo chamber. You should really try posting your OP at allnurses.com and see what discussion that spurs. You won't learn anything new unless its being challenged - I think that place will do its best to challenge your post.

Reactions: 12 users
The physician is clearly the leader of the healthcare team. My wife is a nurse and I think where many physicians probably go wrong in this relationship is thinking that the nurse works for them. Unless they are in your private practice, the nurse works for the hospital. A physician is above them when it comes to making decisions for the care of a patient but thats pretty much where it ends. Its all individual so I won't make sweeping statements but some physicians pawn off the things they don't want to do or try to make the nurse be their secretary with calling other doctors, patients families, etc. Many examples of multiple doctors forcing her to call back and forth between them when they should have simply called each other.

That said, my wife and I joke frequently that there are alot of crazy ass nurses out there and many are the worst when it comes to the self-serving crap like FB posts, "my day was hard!" "saving lives!" bumper stickers, etc, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the self-serving stuff is cringeworthy. EMS is particularly guilty. It is extremely tacky.

You're not missing anything. Its an ego problem, money problem, etc.. But this topic is discussed here frequently, and I don't think its a bad thing. However, this place is an echo chamber. You should really try posting your OP at allnurses.com and see what discussion that spurs. You won't learn anything new unless its being challenged - I think that place will do its best to challenge your post.

I would probably just be crucified lol

You should really try posting your OP at allnurses.com and see what discussion that spurs. You won't learn anything new unless its being challenged - I think that place will do its best to challenge your post.

Not saying we should do it, but imagine if SDN raided that website....

Here's my perspective from pretty much the bottom of the medical profession totem pole. I'm a nursing student and want to continue on to medical school and become a doctor after becoming a nurse.

I work as a nurse assistant with other NAs, nurses, and other medical professionals and we work under the direction of the doctor who runs the facility (it's a group home for very fragile ventilator-dependent patients). Everyone has important tasks to do, but the nurses' independence does not come close to the doctor's. Nurses are certainly critical; there's no way doctors could accomplish all they do without them. But nurses definitely fill a supporting role rather than an equal partnership one. And the doc I work with is never rude or demeaning, but she is definitely in charge, and from what I can see that's much more responsibility and much less privilege.

Incidentally, this doctor was a nurse before she became a doctor and has encouraged me to continue on to medical school. She did it because she wanted to be able to make her own decisions about treatment, which reminds me of what the OP said: if nurses don't like it, they should get the education and earn the credentials so that they can have the same independence!

Outside of nurses pushing this crap, is there anyone in the general public that eats the turd sandwich that nurses are equivalent or better than doctors?

I always see like 4 nurse administrators on every floor and wonder what they do. I love our floor nurses and they have been nothing but great and helpful to me. The administrator ones though, it seems like a bunch of busy work that does nothing for patient care.

Maybe quarterback-running back relationship would be more accurate. No tight end jokes, please!

Disclaimer: I am not against nurses, my mom is a nurse and the first piece of advice a physician I shadowed was "make friends with the nurses." I recognize nurses are important. Nurses should never be bullied or belittled.

That said I came across an article a nurse had shared complaining about doctors. In it said "People need to start seeing physicians and nurses as equal and complementary, too often it is seen as a master-slave relationship."

Outside of nurses pushing this crap, is there anyone in the general public that eats the turd sandwich that nurses are equivalent or better than doctors?

Good question! I asked my brother (lay public,) my coworker (lay public,) and my boyfriend (nursing student) and none of them buy into it.

Maybe quarterback-running back relationship would be more accurate. No tight end jokes, please!

I really like that comparison, my brother and I were talking about that relationship just the other day.

I always see like 4 nurse administrators on every floor and wonder what they do. I love our floor nurses and they have been nothing but great and helpful to me. The administrator ones though, it seems like a bunch of busy work that does nothing for patient care.

My mom was the DON of a facility for a long time, the administrator, and now the executive director. In the DON role, the key is quality assurance, looking for holes in the MAR, or any potential derogatory marks if "state" were to walk in for an inspection and addressing them. If your facility has a perfect inspection your facility is awarded a two-year license, the platinum of all licenses (normally a good inspection gets a one year, sometimes if it's not so good a probationary license.) My mom has always gotten two-year licenses but she is definitely perceived as a monster because of it lol.

The answer to your question is no, and I know hundreds of nurses and none of them think that or say that. Sounds to me like you read a dumb article and you're just stirring up trouble. You didn't even give a source.

But if you really are curious about nurse-physician relations, here's essentially what I predict you'd learn by posting at allnurses.
Nurses are human beings, and a-hole doctors can speak in a trite or defensive way that can be really hurtful. If all doctors could learn this one phrase, it would really make my life easier: "Thank you for letting me know."

I hate when I go to the doctor and say, "This discharge paper has the wrong person's name and PHi on it." And then get chewed out. Or, "I wanted to let you know that the lab called a critical CO2 on XYZ patient." And get chewed out. Or "Patient XYZ requested that I let you know he would like another dose of Dilaudid." And then get an earful.
I don't care what your a-hole reaction is, just repeat after me: "Thank you for letting me know."

And maybe once in a while you could thank the nurse for saving you from litigation for a HIPPA violation, and for ordering the wrong dose of insulin, and for forgetting to add on the CT they just told the patient would be ordered.

Just because you're higher up in the hierarchy doesn't mean you can treat the people below you poorly.

Reactions: 6 users
Most of the nurses on this allnurses thread seem to have a pretty good head on their shoulders, but a few really need a reality check, but im sure they even know in the back of their mind what they're saying is BS.

"since WHEN does more education equal superiority????"
Since forever. In every industry. (Generally speaking)

"we are a team....not parallel, not one over the other..."
Again, look at every other industry. It's always a team, no matter where you go, that doesn't mean there isn't a hierarchy.

"Doctors may have more formal education than me but that does NOT make them better than me. They are human "beans" just like me. The only difference is either they had rich parents to put them thru umpteen years of college or they and/or their first wives worked like dogs to pay for it, and I didn't."
Perhaps she is missing the point on this completely, the argument isn't about them being better than you on a human level, but professionally. Oh, and rich parents/wives? Try student loan debt that makes yours look desirable, excellent undergraduate marks and

http://allnurses.com/general-nursing-discussion/doctors-and-nurses-49398.html

Reactions: 2 users
The answer to your question is no, and I know hundreds of nurses and none of them think that or say that. Sounds to me like you read a dumb article and you're just stirring up trouble. You didn't even give a source.

But if you really are curious about nurse-physician relations, here's essentially what I predict you'd learn by posting at allnurses.
Nurses are human beings, and a-hole doctors can speak in a trite or defensive way that can be really hurtful. If all doctors could learn this one phrase, it would really make my life easier: "Thank you for letting me know."

I hate when I go to the doctor and say, "This discharge paper has the wrong person's name and PHi on it." And then get chewed out. Or, "I wanted to let you know that the lab called a critical CO2 on XYZ patient." And get chewed out. Or "Patient XYZ requested that I let you know he would like another dose of Dilaudid." And then get an earful.
I don't care what your a-hole reaction is, just repeat after me: "Thank you for letting me know."

And maybe once in a while you could thank the nurse for saving you from litigation for a HIPPA violation, and for ordering the wrong dose of insulin, and for forgetting to add on the CT they just told the patient would be ordered.

Just because you're higher up in the hierarchy doesn't mean you can treat the people below you poorly.
\

No, I think it's perfectly legitimate to be concerned about the politics in a prospective career field. However it might not be comfortable.

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...streatment_is_a_danger_to_patient_health.html

We've already established that

I think that sounds like a great idea

Also established the "I look out for you, you look out for me" principle being another great idea more doctors should understand

I must've specified I believe this from the bottom of my heart at least three times in three different ways.

-

The fact is most professional career fields have agendas to advance their fields but what are doctors doing? Allowing nurses, administrators, and insurance companies to walk all over them while they are completely oblivious thinking "that will never happen" ? That's what I'm worried about. This talk, though, is specifically about nurses.

Thats weird, i love when my nurses do this. Sometimes i forget to check the labs i ordered cause some **** went down and it is awesome to have another set of eyes. I do see demanding patients calling the nurse for this and that like pull the blanket up, wipe my ass even though i can do it myself and im like dam i would just slap them, quit my job and walk away

Reactions: 3 users