Is Ob/gyn Competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Downstatedoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a MS3 and have really become interested in the idea of reproductive endocrinology....i want to know how competitive is getting an ob/gyn residency? like what kind of board scores would you need for an upper ranked school?

Also, could anyone list the fellowship possibilites comming out of OB? I'm not really interested in doing general OB stuff, but the fellowships look great.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm a MS3 and have really become interested in the idea of reproductive endocrinology....i want to know how competitive is getting an ob/gyn residency? like what kind of board scores would you need for an upper ranked school?

Also, could anyone list the fellowship possibilites comming out of OB? I'm not really interested in doing general OB stuff, but the fellowships look great.

Thank you.

ob/gyn as a residency is getting more competitive. i think there were only a handful of open spots after the match last year. rumor is this year applications have jumped in number and quality (according to my PD).

REI (repro endo and infertility) as a fellowship is one of the more competitive ones (with gyn onc).

Available fellowships are: (I am sure that I have left off a few) REI, Gyn-Oncology, Maternal Fetal Medicine, Pediatric/Adolescent Gyn, Family Planning, Reproductive Infectious Diseases, Urogynecology.

Good luck with the decision.

Last year, 99.5% of spots were filled after the initial match, meaning there were only 6 obgyn residency spots left in the country before scramble. There is a lot of talk that the number of applicants has increased this year, and my impression from being on the interview trail is that this is probably true. After talking to a lot of applicants, many schools have a grossly increased proportion of students applying for ob. It's hard to say cause some schools do have slightly less than average, and I know my school has about an average number of students applying for ob.

Average board scores will get you some very good interviews, however, probably not the very top programs. Personally, I had average board scores, but I knew I wanted to have some of the top programs to choose from. So I chose to do several visiting rotations at some of the top programs, and I earned several top interviews. In my opinion, visiting rotations are an amazing opportunity to get some great insight to the best programs and to get an edge on the competition for a spot.

As for fellowship, the top residency programs will definitely give you a choice of where you would want to go for fellowship. However, I would caution choosing a specialty solely banking on going into fellowship. If you can't see yourself doing general practice as an option then be sure to keep an open mind about other specialties. You don't want to find out later that maybe REI isn't for you after all, and then be miserable stuck as a generalist. Love ob/gyn first, then aim for fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First, don't let anyone fool you. Ob/Gyn is competitive now, and getting more so. That said, most people that apply do match. There just are not a lot of spots left over. In the past 3 years, in my program, both the quality and quantitiy of applicants has increased exponentially. I personally would be nervous about applying again if I had to. US MD grads generally do very well. But, the DOs and IMGs are in a much more difficult situation, IMHO.

As far as fellowship...it is very, very tough to recommend that you complete a residency just in the hopes of getting a fellowship. At best, your odds are 50/50, and you are competing within a solid group of applicants. That being said, if you want REI, there is no other way to get there. But, it is a pretty good idea to at least have a back up plan. If no fellowship in REI is open to you, what would you do? General Ob/gyn is likely the easiest back up...but, you can do gyn only, ob only, do infertility stuff without a fellowship (I know a few that do that, and do very well), etc...lots of options.

good luck!

i understand that certain fellowships are competitive. my question is this, what is the basis for receiving a fellowship. Lets say you're heart is set on the fellowship and you dont get it, why do you need a backup plan? Cant you keep working hard and reapply until you get the fellowship (i.e. work + do research for a year)?

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

i understand that certain fellowships are competitive. my question is this, what is the basis for receiving a fellowship. Lets say you're heart is set on the fellowship and you dont get it, why do you need a backup plan? Cant you keep working hard and reapply until you get the fellowship (i.e. work + do research for a year)?

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

the basis is much like residency. they want the smartest people, that will be trainable within the program philosophy, that will fit in to the program. however, keep in mind that the applicant pool is significantly less homogenized than the general residency application. ALL of the applicants will have research, will have done the work to make contacts, will have the strong interest and the CREOG scores. the match rate for ob/gyn specialties is generally 50/50...that means that half of the applicants, most of which are very qualified still don't match.

working hard and reapplying has it's own problems. what are you going to do for a year to "work hard"? what kind of opportunity will you find after residency that will prepare you better for a fellowship? who is going to pay you to prepare for a fellowship? are you willing to lose another year's income on a 50/50 chance, especially seeing as how you didn't match when you were arguably as competitive as you are going to get? more importantly, why do you think that after a year of research and work, you will be magically better than you were the first time? you may be, or you may not. there are still only a few spots in the country (not the thousands of spots in med school, or residency programs in general). it is not a sure thing to just reapply endlessly. most places will know you didn't match, for whaterver reason, and that may be reason enough to simply ingnore your second application....remember, the others applying are also VERY good...i would quickly get rid of the idea that somehow if you want it bad enough, and work hard enough, you will eventually get it. sadly, this is not reality.

it certainly is possible to reapply and get a spot. your chances are greater if you can find some teaching/research position in the field you want, with somebody important in that field. but, at the end of the day, those jobs are not easy to find, they offer no guarantee, and they likely won't pay you squat. so, you are taking your chances.

the best advice is to have a back up plan, in case you don't match, or in case you decide you hate REI after you experience it for a while. make sure that back up plan will leave you happy, financially solvent and in some way utilize the training you will have at that point.

The above comments are all correct and true! I am in the camp that believes you should not go into OB/GYN with sole intention of doing fellowship (not liking general practice). Much like medical school, residency is a learning process and through the years you may very well end up learning you don't like the aspects of the fellowship you were heading towards. Alot of medical students, likewise, go into school thinking of a certain specialty and end up matriculating into a completely different specialty.

That said, having gone through the fellowship match, my experience indicated that the programs focused more on research, letters of recommendation, and the interview experience moreso that the name of your program & CREOGS. I can safely say this, having interviewed at the top tier programs in MFM. With GYN-ONC and REI there is a stronger emphasis on letters of recommendation as the communities are smaller and folks depend alot on what their colleagues think of your potential.

Here are some numbers from this year's match to give you an impression. Hope this helps you. Best of luck!

Total applicants registered with Match: 377
Total Matched: 55%
Total US-GRAD Matched: 60%
Total DO-GRAD Matched: 55%
Total US-IMG GRAD Matched: 45%
Total FOREIGN-IMG GRAD Matched: 33%

GYN-ONC: 77 certified spots, 73 filled with match
MFM: 77 certified spots, 77 filled with match
REI: 38 certified spots, 38 filled with match
URO-GYN: 29 certified spots, 27 filled with match

Any idea how often REI programs takes one of their own residents, allowing that person to not have to go through the match process? I know they report 38 spots in the match, but there are around 34 programs, and I'm guessing a good % have 2 spots a year.

Any idea how often REI programs takes one of their own residents, allowing that person to not have to go through the match process? I know they report 38 spots in the match, but there are around 34 programs, and I'm guessing a good % have 2 spots a year.

From the rumors I've heard I think it's dependent on the program- some residencies like to keep their own, others don't. As people have said, it's not a good idea to go into a specialty just to do the fellowship, and I would argue that it's not a great idea to go to a program for residency just because they have a good fellowship program. Go somewhere that you'll be happy and get a good education.

Programs prefer to send their residents out as it is the best form of advertisement for them. Having said this, some will retain their own but not too often/or many years in a row as it may lend to the image of "in-breeding" within a program.