Is Ohio State worth visiting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doozenberg

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have acceptances at a few schools, so far my top choice being Einstein. I just got an Ohio State interview invitation today. Is Ohio State worth checking out? In terms of location and (from what I know) reputation, I'm thinking Einstein is a better place for me, but can anyone give me reasons to visit OSU?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Ohio State is awesome. I believe that OSU and AECOM have similar reputations (looking at US News). I recommend that you go to OSU's website and watch some of their videos. It is amazing.

I have actually visited both, and been admitted to both. My situation is a little different though, in the fact that I am from Ohio, and have family in Columbus. My decision won't likely come down to the 2, but if it had to, it would be a very difficult decision. As far as rankings go, they are close to identical (37 for Einstein and 38 for OSU in the research rankings)...for primary care they are about 40 and 50.

I think ultimately it depends on what you want. If you want an East coast residency, stickk with Einstein, as you will probably have a better chance. If you want value, go with OSU, as their education value is incredible. I think the places are very similar, and each have great hospitals and facilities, although OSU seems to be tossing money around to build new stuff because they have quite a bit of it. OSU also has a large class (about 250) which can be good or bad depending on what you like. As far as location goes, Columbus is no New York. It is growing, and there is a decent amount of stuff to do. Since the University is there, a lot of stuff is geared towards college aged kids, so its not boring. NY is NY, and nowhere can really match it. However, Einstein is not really close to the city, so its not like you are going to be living in Manhattan, but it is there for the weekends.

I would say that you should go take a visit, if it is not going to be difficult or expensive to do so. If you liked Einstein, I think OSU is attractive as well. The otehr thing to find out is how full OSU's class is. With rolling admissions, it may not be worth it to interview if you are in to Einstein and the class is almost full at OSU.

Just my thoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
doozenberg said:
So I have acceptances at a few schools, so far my top choice being Einstein. I just got an Ohio State interview invitation today. Is Ohio State worth checking out? In terms of location and (from what I know) reputation, I'm thinking Einstein is a better place for me, but can anyone give me reasons to visit OSU?

Thanks for your help.

Ohio State has been working very hard the past few years to become a top tier school. Admission is competitive, with the average MCAT ~32. OSUCOM has the advantage of being affiliated with the largest undergraduate institution in the country (although, some would consider that a disadvantage). If research is your game, there are tons of opportunties. Although the medical college building itself is nothing spectacular, University Hospitals are world class and home to a new cancer and heart hospital. The emergency department either is or will be undergoing renovation shortly, I believe.

Personally, unless you've got your heart set on Einstein, I think OSU is worth a visit. I almost didn't schedule a couple of interviews after being accepted at UCincy, but I'm glad I visited these schools and saw what they had to offer.

Amy

PS - I just got my interview invite today, too. So - if you are scheduled for 2/23, maybe I'll see you there! :)

ohio has some of the nicest facilities i've seen yet- and i've seen a huge range. i'd go for sure.

I think OSU doesn't like me. It is my top choice and they didn't even give me an interview. :( :( . Hey OP can you give me your interview slot? :D

BTW Amy, did you write them any LOI or call them?

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I am now leaning toward going as long as their class isn't completely full. Amy-I'm 3/7.

I just interviewed there yesterday. The class is not yet full. I had a really good time: friendly + happy people, nice facilities, and the housing costs are quite low.

Columbus is not NYC, but I don't really like NYC so that's not a bad thing for me.

They respond in two weeks.

doozenberg said:
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I am now leaning toward going as long as their class isn't completely full. Amy-I'm 3/7.

i visited osu and was blown away. i had no clue. it is amazing. at least visit so you will know for sure and not miss out on something. they have a really nice website where you can watch the growth = opportunity video. that might convince you to go and check it out!
http://medicine.osu.edu/

PS - I just got my interview invite today, too. So - if you are scheduled for 2/23, maybe I'll see you there! :)[/QUOTE]

I just got an interview offer there as well, so it looks like I'll be there on 2/23 also. It's great to hear all this wonderful stuff about the school. I'm definitely looking forward to visiting now!

I was there yesterday as well. I was very much impressed. I have interviewed with a lot of different programs all over the place and I can honestly say that I, too was blown away. I only wish I would have had the opportunity to interview earlier-- they said spots were still available, but obviously less than a few months ago.

Columbus is a GREAT town!!

DRIVE DRIVE ON DOWN THE FIELD......

Ravi -

No, I didn't send them a LOI, although I was starting to think about it. I had been complete since early November, but I had heard other people say that they had been complete since September and hadn't heard anything one way or the other from them.

When I got the status change e-mail, I was almost afraid to open it - I figured they finally got around to rejecting me!!

Ohio State is my first choice because its pretty much the only school where I would be able to live with my husband for the next four years. It doesn't hurt that they have top notch facilities. At heart, I'm a Michigan fan, but I survived 4 quarters of OSU doing postbacc work, I imagine I can survive another four years. I'm sure I can manage to be busy enough to ignore football season. :laugh:

Those of you who got your interview invites - don't forget to confirm the date on the webpage!!

Good luck all!

No, IT SUCKS!!!!!

Now maybe I can get off the dam@#d waitlist ;)

Okay, this really really hurts me to say. Ohio State is a really good med school. I was literally shocked at how much I liked it.

Now my family and my state must disown me for saying that.

GO BLUE! No way the dam@#d Buckeyes are winning at the big house this year!!!!