Ohio State CMT vs Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedsthrowaway

Reaction score
I’m hoping to go into academic pediatrics or medicine/pediatrics. Although I’m open to change, I worked as a public school teacher for six years as a prior career and would like to continue working primarily with that population and advocacy/policy efforts.

Ohio State
+ Cost ($300K)
+ School Spirit/Tradition
+ Close to family/family currently attend OSU
+ P/F, 18 Months Pre-Clinical
+ Proximity to well-known residencies in the region (Cincy, Rainbow, Nationwide, Lurie, Michigan, UPMC, etc.)
+ Phenomenal matches in pediatrics
+ The CMT program seemed more individual/student focused as I’ll be the only med student on rotations instead of a bunch of students, residents, and fellows.
- Will not be doing my core pediatrics clerkship at Nationwide Children's
- Brand new track/cohort

Colorado
+ LIC Clerkship Model
+ P/F Pre-Clinical
+ Global Health Track
+ Ability to open up the West Coast (I’m from the South and have family in the Midwest)
+ Great matches into pediatrics
+ Proximity to well-known West Coast and Texas residencies (Colorado, UTSW, Baylor, UW, CHLA, Stanford, UCSF, Phoenix, etc.)
+ Possibility of doing my core clerkship at Children’s Colorado
- Cost ($440K)
- 1 Year Pre-Clinical looks daunting

Overall, the only real thing stopping me from going to CU is the cost, but I also don’t know if CU is that more prestigious than OSU. Now for top pediatrics programs, I have no clue how prestige plays into that.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OSU - the price differential for Colorado isn't worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. 140k is too much to warrant CU over OSU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. Anyone else in a similar position or have some thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm on the WL at Colorado so you can take that into account -- but I would really say I'd take Ohio State in this situation. It's close to your family/support system, they are considered very equal prestige-wise, and there are certain things about CU that I'm a bit wary of (1 year preclinical, longitudinal rotations). I think would still be a toss-up for me if prices were equal, but with this big a price difference OSU would be a pretty clear choice for me.

Both schools are great in terms of prestige and opportunities. Does CU have any scholarships or offering financial aid to help with lowering the cost? One thing I’ve seen some students do is leverage their 2 acceptances to see if their top choice school can offer like a scholarship to help make the decision a bit easier.

Both schools are great in terms of prestige and opportunities. Does CU have any scholarships or offering financial aid to help with lowering the cost? One thing I’ve seen some students do is leverage their 2 acceptances to see if their top choice school can offer like a scholarship to help make the decision a bit easier.
Unfortunately, CU doesn't renegotiate financial packages. Also, they could not provide a date when need-based aid packages would go out due to FASFA this year.

Last edited: