Is OMM "just another class" ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

William_Trask

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After interviewing at DMU, WesternCOMP, and AZCOM, I am extremely excited to learn OMM. The studies I have read, all conclude OMM is a helpful therapy that will decrease pain and health care cost. I haven't specifically had OMT, but other that I know love the treatment.

So what I'm getting at is…

During a typical Osteopathic education, does OMM seem like "just another class" or are all the science classes "just other classes"? I am specifically interested in AZCOM, but will all students comment on their respective schools.

One additional though, if OMM seems like "just another classes" and you were to do it all over again, would you go the allopathic route and learn OMM through continuing education?

Members don't see this ad.

I dont go to any of the schools you listed but at my school it is just another class for most people. There are some who love it and it is most likely all they will do when the graduate, but some of the other classes are so much harder and more time consuming that it sometimes takes a back seat. I have heard and I dont know if this is true, but KCOM has a really intense OMT course. Again this is what I have heard.

As an MS-I at COMP/Western, I feel that OMM is definitely taken seriously, but like some of the other schools, having to take most of our basic science courses at the same time makes keeping up with our OMT class a bit more difficult. To compensate, we have frequent OMM review sessions with our TA's and OMM fellows during the week. In addition, there are presentations given by the faculty and outside speakers on various OMM topics that sometimes are not taught in the curriculum.

After first semester though, I believe there is a lot more time to concentrate on OMT according to the second year students. What has always been stressed though is that to improve one's OMT skills, one must spend a lot of time outside of class practicing and even learning by taking outside OMT courses if time and money allow. I believe the level of OMT proficiency/knowledge going into a student's third year is largely attributed to a student's dedication to the art and not the amount of hours spent in OMT class.

Hope this feedback helps. I'd like to hear a second year COMP student comment on this too to get a more accurate MS-II perspective on this.