Is organic chemistry that hard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't read through all of the posts but rather just skimmed. From what I read, the majority say that organic chemistry is not that hard.

This is quite laughable because the ppl that say orgo is rather/somewhat easy are those who have only taken an introductory course. The intro organic classes are NOTHING compared to what real organic entails.

Intro orgo is like learning the alphabet in kindergarten compared to senior/grad level organic courses.

As a whole, organic chemistry is difficult and those who tell you otherwise have only taken an intro course and really only know very little about the subject matter.

Sry for the rant....overall is it possible to get an A in orgo - yes it is VERY VERY doable; but thats only bc it just barely skims the surface of organic chemistry.

Members don't see this ad.

^Yea but most pre-meds are only gonna be taking intro orgo so thats really what matters here.

I didn't read through all of the posts but rather just skimmed. From what I read, the majority say that organic chemistry is not that hard.

This is quite laughable because the ppl that say orgo is rather/somewhat easy are those who have only taken an introductory course. The intro organic classes are NOTHING compared to what real organic entails.

Intro orgo is like learning the alphabet in kindergarten compared to senior/grad level organic courses.

As a whole, organic chemistry is difficult and those who tell you otherwise have only taken an intro course and really only know very little about the subject matter.

Sry for the rant....overall is it possible to get an A in orgo - yes it is VERY VERY doable; but thats only bc it just barely skims the surface of organic chemistry.
So what? No one here is referring to the field as a whole, this discussion is concerned with the two-course sequence that medical schools required, and this is very clear.

Surely you recognize that someone saying "organic chemistry is easy, I got A's no problem" is referring to the two-course sequence when they say "organic chemistry" since that's what we're all talking about, so I don't know why you feel the need to come in here and patronize everyone about their supposed ignorance of a subject none of us intend to study intensively beyond the undergraduate level.

Members don't see this ad :)
To everyone that says Ochem is easy--congrats. You are lucky. You have good genes, which means you're naturally good at organic chemistry. MOST people don't think Ochem is easy, because MOST people don't share you're good fortunes. So don't be so quick to criticize those who struggle. Yes, the approach you take to learning the material and how you study matters. But not that much. There are plenty of people that work hard, study their asses off, and do poorly in Ochem. Stop assuming that because you got handed the right genes it should be easy for everyone.

It's just like any other class...some people hate it while others love it, some people struggle with it while others excel. I personally loved it and did very well. I'd consider it my second toughest (meaning it took a good bit of study time and really required mastery of the material to do well) course apart from Cell Bio.

Ochem is probably THE number one most overrated course in college.

It's only "hard" if you try to memorize everything. If you actually learn the concepts, it's actually pretty easy. I'd estimate it would rank in the top 25% of my easiest classes taken in college.
Like yours, our test averages tended be low. (Our average midterm score was a 58%, which was an F in the course. They don't round. It's criterion-based. If you didn't meet the necessary criteria, you failed. That said, I scored a 96%, so I know it's not impossible.
Typical pre-allo d-bag comment.

Is organic chem hard? Yes. Is a C an acceptable grade? No.

This is also what separates out those who can't cut it (why so many drop pre med after orgo I) and why an upward trend in your grades is looked at favorably (shows you have gotten better at applying knowledge).
A flat line for your grade trend is what's looked at favorably. An upward trend is merely forgivable.

No, it's simply "challenging". Put in the effort and you can easily get at least a B.

So what? No one here is referring to the field as a whole, this discussion is concerned with the two-course sequence that medical schools required, and this is very clear.

Surely you recognize that someone saying "organic chemistry is easy, I got A's no problem" is referring to the two-course sequence when they say "organic chemistry" since that's what we're all talking about, so I don't know why you feel the need to come in here and patronize everyone about their supposed ignorance of a subject none of us intend to study intensively beyond the undergraduate level.

Calm down buddy.

^ Oh, don't mind him; he's just trying to get the lead out.

Typical pre-allo d-bag comment.

Is organic chem hard? Yes. Is a C an acceptable grade? No.

My point was that most people struggle because of HOW they are studying. I really don't think it's that tough of a class. The second comment was in reference to those implying "you must have had an easy course." (I didn't... most people failed the midterm and final and many failed the class, but that's not because it's a "hard class." It's because they didn't know how to approach the course and this prof tends to be very, very difficult. That said, it's beatable.) Sorry if it came off as something else to you. In my experience, Ochem is one of the most overrated courses in college.

A flat line for your grade trend is what's looked at favorably. An upward trend is merely forgivable.

Entirely dependent on where that flat line is and in some cases it could be argued that an upward trend is better than a flat line. Say someone has a 3.7 consistently. What kept them from ever doing better? Now if you go from a 3.2 to a 4.0 it's obvious you learned from your mistakes.

You can take this however you want, but in actuality it's in the eyes of the ad com reading your file how to take it so neither of our opinions are technically right.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ochem can be as hard or as easy as your prof makes it. However if you study the material and understand the underlying mechanisms of why reactions occur then you will be fine. If you can understand the "why" and not become preoccupied with the "what" you will be able to apply your knowledge to other reactions and not have to "memorize" everything.

Ochem problems are like puzzles (well later on they are). So if you like puzzles you'll probably like ochem.

You'll cover a good deal of material in a short time span, the concepts range from concrete spatial visualization to the abstract. There are intuitive mechanisms and "magic" reactions. There are really long tedious reactions requiring memorization.

Do any of those general learning concepts sound familiar to anyone who has been through the first 2 years of medical school?

I think my organic chemistry classes were about the closest as undergrad got to medical school in terms of the volume of info/day + difficulty.

Medical school had much more volume though ;)

Orgo I and II were the two most straight-forward classes I have taken. By far my favorite classes. I got really high A's in both. The labs are really long though.

Calm down buddy.
Your post had no relevance to the topic being discussed, and came off quite haughty despite your courtesy-apology for ranting. It seems you only posted to pass a judgment on those who have done well in the courses being discussed and put them down. I've already explained my reasoning, and I oblige you no sympathy when you only add negativity to the thread.

I think it is the first course that naturally intelligent people really need to start studying for and it trips many up and catches them by surprise. That being said...understand the rules and memorize the exceptions.

Naturally intelligent people just buy Organic Chemistry as a Second Language!
This book saved my a**!

Organic-Chemistry-II-as-a-Second-Language-Klein-David-R-9780471738084.jpg

Entirely dependent on where that flat line is
Thank you, Captain Obvious.

but in actuality it's in the eyes of the ad com reading your file how to take it so neither of our opinions are technically right.
You're technically wrong, because one of us has already reviewed applicants' files, conducted interviews, and made recommendations on whether or not to accept an applicant.

Naturally intelligent people just buy Organic Chemistry as a Second Language!
:thumbup:

You're technically wrong, because one of us has already reviewed applicants' files, conducted interviews, and made recommendations on whether or not to accept an applicant.
:smuggrin:

I just started Ochem 1, I'm currently on my second week. So far it's more enjoyable then gen chem 1 and especially gen chem 2.

It also depends on the teacher because I found gen chem 2 to be the worst class I have ever taken. I think this was because of a combination of a teacher who would just read from a word document and that we were required to go to a class that had a TA with a thick Russian accent.

Basically picture a chess board with all the pieces. Now play a game of chess in your mind. If you can do that, (not counting the 4 move checkmate) then you'll be ok.

i think i was better at ochem than at chess
hoho

otherwise, just most people said, it is a hard class and memorization is important but understanding the material will help make more sense and will help on exams. It is possible to get an A.... just requires a LOT of time.

also, get the solution manual

Last edited:
erwyd3m2qql7_t.jpg

just bought this book and am starting the chapter on acid base .........so far pretty easy

also watching
sal-khan-khan-academy.jpg

videos help conceptually despite people saying his voice is annoying

Yeah and so is every other field.

Yeah and so is every other field.

Heh, pretty much this. Obviously there is always going to be something that will make the previous class look like nothing. You think intro/general physics was meh, try going through a whole major consisting of majority of physics and you too will see the intro maths as child's play.

Everyone has their limits, just because someone sees intro organic as easy doesn't mean they are crazy enough to major in organic.

But regardless I must admit jealousy of people that have a way with organic type of chemistry. I remember a TA for my organic lab that would just explain the stuff with such fluency and ease, made me rage in jealousy. Meh, good for him.

i think i was better at ochem than at chess
hoho

The whole playing a game of chess in your mind thing I got from a diary entry of Victor Klemperer, who tried it while he was imprisoned for I think leaving a light on during a blackout in Nazi Germany. He was a professor and couldn't do it, so I don't feel bad I can't. But he mentioned some of his colleagues could.

Anyways, this was entirely too irrelevant.

I think it is very easy for me, I got A in both Orgo I and Orgo II. I must say it DEPENDS on your teacher and your hard work. Your teacher can be the key to make you either love the subject and work hard to do good on it or hate it. I must say that I find organic chemistry to be a lot easier than general chemistry. Why? Well, organic chemistry is simply about carbon ! all the topics are related to each other in some way and in most reactions (around 85 %) you either form hydrogen with halogens (HCl, HBR, HI) or form water (H2O) out of the reaction. You can simply react the two compounds in question in such a way that you can extract either water or halogen with a hydrogen from it. In the other side, general chemistry involve a lot of different topics that can be related true but it's not as easy to relate them to each other and you end up with trying to understand different topics from one subject.

Ochem was 5x more fun than med school.

WRONG buddy....even though you are a pharmacy student, I'm almost certain you haven't seen as much orgo in detail and difficulty as I did. I did problems that professors couldn't do. Don't judge based on your own experience with one or two buddies of your own. Those who see organic as fun class must of enjoyed it no matter the level of it.

P.S was there something called intro organic? I think it is all the same thing once you learn the basics, just a little more in depth. My sister is already a pharmacist and I have looked at medicinal chemistry and all things related to organic chemistry and it seems to be based on the very basic stuff and I seemed to understand some of it quickly. So yea, really you are wrong about this.

P.S was there something called intro organic? I think it is all the same thing once you learn the basics, just a little more in depth.

At my school it is the stock ochem that every pre-med takes. Advanced ochem at my school introduces concepts that aren't taught in the regular course series such as frontier molecular orbital theory.

i still think there is huge variation in how tough people find the material in organic. i took 3 semesters of organic for chem majors; i found it much easier than pchem and no struggle grade-wise. some of my friends thought pchem was the easier course sequence.

WRONG buddy....even though you are a pharmacy student, I'm almost certain you haven't seen as much orgo in detail and difficulty as I did. I did problems that professors couldn't do. Don't judge based on your own experience with one or two buddies of your own. Those who see organic as fun class must of enjoyed it no matter the level of it.

P.S was there something called intro organic? I think it is all the same thing once you learn the basics, just a little more in depth. My sister is already a pharmacist and I have looked at medicinal chemistry and all things related to organic chemistry and it seems to be based on the very basic stuff and I seemed to understand some of it quickly. So yea, really you are wrong about this.

I think she was talking about her experience in advanced organic chemistry classes that only chem majors and insane people take in undergrad. Anyways I'm going to go out on a limb and say that advanced organic chemistry >>> intro orgo that premeds take for their prereqs.

I think she was talking about her experience in advanced organic chemistry classes that only chem majors and insane people take in undergrad. Anyways I'm going to go out on a limb and say that advanced organic chemistry >>> intro orgo that premeds take for their prereqs.

I understand but actually some people take it for fun, including me. Those people are not insane, they just enjoy it and want an easy A on it simply because they know they can ace it. Trust me, I have experienced more than the advanced organic courses in undergrad. She judged all premeds and others that enjoy organic chemistry and see it as easy and said that they must of seen only the intro. Well, if they enjoyed the intro, for sure they will enjoy the advanced one. Isn't it all the same topic after all?

P.S my major is not even chemistry or biology or biochemistry.

Well, yeah lol. I have a feeling Q could attest to this...

In fact, I found advanced organic chem to be much easier than the regular organic chem that premeds and others take. Why? Well because when you took the regular organic, it was all new to you (even if you took parts of it in high school) and thus had to learn it. But when you go take advanced organic chem, it all depends on the basic stuff you already learned. And if you understood the basics, then the advanced organic chem becomes a walk in the park. To each his own but that is my opinion.

I understand but actually some people take it for fun, including me. Those people are not insane, they just enjoy it and want an easy A on it simply because they know they can ace it. Trust me, I have experienced more than the advanced organic courses in undergrad. She judged all premeds and others that enjoy organic chemistry and see it as easy and said that they must of seen only the intro. Well, if they enjoyed the intro, for sure they will enjoy the advanced one. Isn't it all the same topic after all?

P.S my major is not even chemistry or biology or biochemistry.

I don't think the contents of the class are even comparable... Advanced organic chemistry is taking a molecular orbital theory/ physical chemistry perspective and then applying it to understand organic chemistry. Intro organic is just drawing arrows and making things collide into each other...
Well, anyways... I'll let a chem major take over this train of thought...

Hi everyone, im new to the whole medical system. I have not taken O-chem yet so i was curious on something I recently heard.

I heard that organic chemistry is very difficult. So difficult that if someone got a letter grade of "C", med school would still be ok with it.
If someone got an "A" or "B" grade, that would make them stand out even more. Is this true?
After having gotten a over a 100% in organic chem each semester, I will tell you one thing: It really can depend on the teacher. A poor teacher can ruin any enthusiasm you might hold for the material, while the exact opposite scenario can occur.

Organic isn't hard, but it is VERY conceptual (apart from learning "the language", which tends to encompass IUPAC (naming) and drawing structures).

Really paying attention in Organic has significantly increased my passion, not to mention proficiency, in chemistry. I see myself studying less than 10 hours for graduate level biochemistry exams (I am currently an undergrad) due to the solid foundation Ochem has paved for me. All in all, it is rather relative. I just "got" it. But yet I was more open to it than my peers. I always seemed to be the one asking "why", where as they just wanted the answers.

I wasn't aware you did that at every medical school there is. I am so sorry for not deferring to your knowledge of how every ad com does things.

Use Klein's Organic Chemistry as a Second Language; sorry if this has been mentioned already.

Once you get the hang of it, orgo actually becomes fun. For reals. If you approach it with a negative attitude you won't perform as well and you will be miserable the whole time. Good luck!

I second, third, fourth, and fifth Klein's Orgo book. Just try to catch up to where you are in terms of subject matter. Then just stay a little ahead of your teacher. Everything will be a breeze and the topics your teacher will cover will just be a little bit more tailored to what he/she wants you to know

No just study. I got As in o Chem and b's in gen Chem. Bio 2 is harder at my school. To me at least.

It's ridiculous how different the same class can be from one school to another or even one professor to another within the same school. What a bunch of ****.

I wasn't aware you did that at every medical school there is. I am so sorry for not deferring to your knowledge of how every ad com does things.
Didn't say either of those things, did I? You were still wrong. And mad too, apparently, since this was 6 months ago.

Question for the thread: I'm on chemistry 1 right now and am trying to decide if i should take orgo 1 next semester, or wait until i take chemistry 2. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Someone bumped this thread for no reason.

Question for the the thread: I'm on chemistry 1 right now and am trying to decide if i should take orgo 1 next semester, or wait until i take chemistry 2. Thoughts?

Get your Gen chems out of the way then worry about Organic.