Is ortho a long shot? Really struggling to decide what to do.

Jesus H Christ

2+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2018
Hey all. I've really been struggling to decide if I want to do ortho or gen surg. A huge factor that's playing into that decision is whether I even really have a chance doing ortho. Hopefully someone here can shed some light and make my decision a little easier.
Step 1: 248
Level 1: 619
GPA 3.33
I'm currently part of the global health track at my school which would have at least given me some research but because we can't travel due to covid restrictions, nobody has really been able to do much of the international research that was supposed to be required.
I'm super stuck and don't know if ortho is something I could go for, or if it's just not likely at this point and I should stick with gen surg. Or maybe it's something that I could do but would need to knock out some research or something this year.
I don't know. I'm super lost so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A

AnatomyGrey12

You're on your way to being very competitive for GS, and yes I would say you are competitive for ortho. You've hit the numbers, now you just need to do well on Step/Level 2 and then perform on auditions.

Reactions: 4 users
About the Ads

DNC127

Im just here so I don't get fined.
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2015
Middle America
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I got a 237 and 634 and did fine applying to ortho, so you have me beat I would say.

Your scores aren't going to hold you back from either. Decide which one you like better and try and get some research and good letters to back you app up

Reactions: 2 users

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hey all. I've really been struggling to decide if I want to do ortho or gen surg. A huge factor that's playing into that decision is whether I even really have a chance doing ortho. Hopefully someone here can shed some light and make my decision a little easier.
Step 1: 248
Level 1: 619
GPA 3.33
I'm currently part of the global health track at my school which would have at least given me some research but because we can't travel due to covid restrictions, nobody has really been able to do much of the international research that was supposed to be required.
I'm super stuck and don't know if ortho is something I could go for, or if it's just not likely at this point and I should stick with gen surg. Or maybe it's something that I could do but would need to knock out some research or something this year.
I don't know. I'm super lost so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Check out:

page 86

Your Step score looks promising. From what I've read in these pages, you should get in some Ortho research. And definitely network, network, network!!!

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.