Is ortho a long shot? Really struggling to decide what to do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SD Hopeamine

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I've really been struggling to decide if I want to do ortho or gen surg. A huge factor that's playing into that decision is whether I even really have a chance doing ortho. Hopefully someone here can shed some light and make my decision a little easier.
Step 1: 248
Level 1: 619
GPA 3.33
I'm currently part of the global health track at my school which would have at least given me some research but because we can't travel due to covid restrictions, nobody has really been able to do much of the international research that was supposed to be required.
I'm super stuck and don't know if ortho is something I could go for, or if it's just not likely at this point and I should stick with gen surg. Or maybe it's something that I could do but would need to knock out some research or something this year.
I don't know. I'm super lost so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You're on your way to being very competitive for GS, and yes I would say you are competitive for ortho. You've hit the numbers, now you just need to do well on Step/Level 2 and then perform on auditions.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 237 and 634 and did fine applying to ortho, so you have me beat I would say.

Your scores aren't going to hold you back from either. Decide which one you like better and try and get some research and good letters to back you app up

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all. I've really been struggling to decide if I want to do ortho or gen surg. A huge factor that's playing into that decision is whether I even really have a chance doing ortho. Hopefully someone here can shed some light and make my decision a little easier.
Step 1: 248
Level 1: 619
GPA 3.33
I'm currently part of the global health track at my school which would have at least given me some research but because we can't travel due to covid restrictions, nobody has really been able to do much of the international research that was supposed to be required.
I'm super stuck and don't know if ortho is something I could go for, or if it's just not likely at this point and I should stick with gen surg. Or maybe it's something that I could do but would need to knock out some research or something this year.
I don't know. I'm super lost so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Check out:

page 86

Your Step score looks promising. From what I've read in these pages, you should get in some Ortho research. And definitely network, network, network!!!

Reactions: 1 user