is PA anatomy taught with medical students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patel2

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
to those in pa school that also have a md/do at that same school... Do you take anatomy with the med students, have all the same tests/practicals etc., or is it taught differently with a different emphasis? I am asking this question for a friend applying to PA school who was curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I would think it is institution dependent. The PA's here do not take anatomy with us, or take the same exams.

to those in pa school that also have a md/do at that same school... Do you take anatomy with the med students, have all the same tests/practicals etc., or is it taught differently with a different emphasis? I am asking this question for a friend applying to PA school who was curious.

in my medical school, the PA students have access to the same anatomy lab that we use but we don't take the same anatomy class together. they do their own thing and we do ours.

Members don't see this ad :)
program dependent. there are now over 150 programs and they all do things a bit differently from many courses with med students to none.

Most PA students have to take Anatomy twice ... once in undergrad, once in PA school. My first Anatomy was at my undergrad Uni. My PA Anatomy course was named Advanced Anatomy, and was taught by one of our school's Med School Anatomy instructors. Most PA programs have Anatomy as a pre-requisite.

OP-Why does it matter if they take the test with the medical students or not? Just a question and hope to not to offend. I hope your friend realizes PA school is no cakewalk even if he doesn't take anatomy with the medical students.(At my school medical students take multiple choice anatomy while PA's do fill in the blank-->Personally I have taken both versions and I think by far multiple choice is much worse due to having self doubt with multiple choice.) Also the PAs at my school start in the summer while med. students start in late summer/early fall so they do not take any courses together. It was the same in My PA school as well. Also we have embro, histo, early radiology(xrays,ct scans,etc) all intergrated in my medical school anatomy while most pa schools dont have embroy, and histo in theirs(I dont know about the early radiology stuff)

OP-Why does it matter if they take the test with the medical students or not? Just a question and hope to not to offend. I hope your friend realizes PA school is no cakewalk even if he doesn't take anatomy with the medical students.(At my school medical students take multiple choice anatomy while PA's do fill in the blank-->Personally I have taken both versions and I think by far multiple choice is much worse due to having self doubt with multiple choice.) Also the PAs at my school start in the summer while med. students start in late summer/early fall so they do not take any courses together. It was the same in My PA school as well. Also we have embro, histo, early radiology(xrays,ct scans,etc) all intergrated in my medical school anatomy while most pa schools dont have embroy, and histo in theirs(I dont know about the early radiology stuff)

Really he asked because was just curious as to how much the curriculum will be integrated with other grad students, which could be of benefit for studying,meeting people outside your program etc.

edit: which med school is mult choice anatomy?!? I need to get there.

Really he asked because was just curious as to how much the curriculum will be integrated with other grad students, which could be of benefit for studying,meeting people outside your program etc.

Lol(about the multiple choice anatomy). I know some D.O. schools and I have heard that one of the MD schools does it. But the multiple choice is not A-D its closer A-G or worse

My program was a MCQ exam with clinical vingette questions and then a pratical where typically they would ask you a secondary/tertiary question based on the structure they tagged (meaning you had to ID the structure then answer the question).

My program was a MCQ exam with clinical vingette questions and then a pratical where typically they would ask you a secondary/tertiary question based on the structure they tagged (meaning you had to ID the structure then answer the question).

My undergrad was the same, MCQ and then the practical w/tags for identifying, plus some primate comparative in the same formats (Univ of CA Anthro don't fool around).

My PA Adv Anatomy was all MCQ, with a few fill in the blanks at the end. No cadavers there (which our class flipped lids about, understandably to a point), the PT students did full dissections tho.

Ours was separate from the PAs.

We would have the practical part with the tagged cadavers in the morning. Then in the afternoon we would more clinically oriented MCQ test.

Our anatomy was also combined with histo and embryo which would also be on the MCQ tests (except for the histo slides exams which were separate tests).