Is perfusion a dying career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pily218

Reaction score
I am a sophomore in college and have recently discovered perfusionists. I am very interested so far, but I keep getting mixed messages about the profession dying out or the demand increasing. Of course, I don't want to devote time into this if I will not be able to find a job. Do you guys think it'd be a bad idea to go down the path of becoming a perfusionist at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a sophomore in college and have recently discovered perfusionists. I am very interested so far, but I keep getting mixed messages about the profession dying out or the demand increasing. Of course, I don't want to devote time into this if I will not be able to find a job. Do you guys think it'd be a bad idea to go down the path of becoming a perfusionist at this point?

Heart surgery isn't going away anytime soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Perfusion is a great career.

Obviously as cardiac surgery evolves, the role of the perfusionist will also evolve. There may be less perfusion standby for TAVR. More ECMO and more complicated ECMO circuits.

Major factors influencing the evolution of perfusion include but are not limited to:
1) the ongoing endovascular revolution: hybrid or endo arch... endovascular repair of ascending pathology, TAVR, TMVR, etc.
2) evolution of waitlist prioritization for heart transplantation and lung transplantation
3) evolution of pediatric heart failure: role of durable MCS

Reactions: 1 users
Perfusion is not dying. It is one of the best jobs in the hospital. Most mid-levels and nurses I meet who are going back to school either become CRNAs or perfusionists. Great pay, normal non-medical working hours (with some exceptions), reasonable length of total schooling.