Is Pharmacy Dying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Even if the profession is going downhill, it shouldn't stop you from becoming what you aspire to be. If it means you will have to find a job outside of your local area, then do it. There are several pharmacy staff and manager positions hiring at retail pharmacies when I did a job search.

I say, ignore what pharmacists are saying. I had a pharmacist tell me that it is harder to get a job now than it was 10 years ago.

I don't know if you want to ignore them outright, there are valid points being made (such as the one that the pharmacist told you).

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if you want to ignore them outright, there are valid points being made (such as the one that the pharmacist told you).

I agree. You do not what to discount someone that you know is actually working in the industry right now. My problem is a lot of people are equating not getting bonuses, cars, etc. to being saturated.

Are far as I can remember, every job I have applied for (over 10 years worth) did not include any of these things. All this means is pharmacy is like every other job field now and you actually have to work at selling yourself to your potential employer. This is not equal to there not actually being any openings.

Supposedly there's going to be a bit of an increase in demand for community pharmacists in the near future. This just came up in one of our classes on Friday when our a faculty member that is working out in DC on health care reform came back for a visit to the university. He said that places like CVS, Walgreens, Target, etc. are starting to hire more pharmacists specifically for MTM and adding more MTM facilities. Some places are rolling this out faster than others, but regardless (according to him) it's becoming a new trend that will actually have an impact on the job market. We shall see if he is right.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. You do not what to discount someone that you know is actually working in the industry right now. My problem is a lot of people are equating not getting bonuses, cars, etc. to being saturated.

Are far as I can remember, every job I have applied for (over 10 years worth) did not include any of these things. All this means is pharmacy is like every other job field now and you actually have to work at selling yourself to your potential employer. This is not equal to there not actually being any openings.

:thumbup:

I may just quote this post forever more.

Members don't see this ad :)
aaawww you guys are talking about me how sweet :p;):)

I ran over a squirrel with my car once. :D

short answer: yes

long answer: yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

I might dent your car if you tried that with me though: About 6'3" and 245 :smuggrin:

omg you're that tall???!!! you're like a giant! You're more than a foot taller than me- Owle DO NOT laugh at me :p

omg you're that tall???!!! you're like a giant! You're more than a foot taller than me- Owle DO NOT laugh at me :p

Then you will appreciate this: When I was stationed in Korea, I could walk through Seoul on the busiest days and still see a block ahead of me. I am pretty much a head taller than 95% of people in every country except the US :D

Then you will appreciate this: When I was stationed in Korea, I could walk through Seoul on the busiest days and still see a block ahead of me. I am pretty much a head taller than 95% of people in every country except the US :D

You went to seoul?! Did you met any cute korean celebrities?
Wait, you're taller than Korean guys too? They seem so tall to me.

You went to seoul?! Did you met any cute korean celebrities?
Wait, you're taller than Korean guys too? They seem so tall to me.

I was stationed at a post in Uijongbu for almost a year and a half.

I am at or above the 95th percentile of every country/race/heritage/whatever. The funny part is that I am taller than my dad by over 3" but I am on the shorter side compared to my uncles and cousins...

Did not meet any celebrities there although I got to in a couple other countries...

I was stationed at a post in Uijongbu for almost a year and a half.

I am at or above the 95th percentile of every country/race/heritage/whatever. The funny part is that I am taller than my dad by over 3" but I am on the shorter side compared to my uncles and cousins...

Did not meet any celebrities there although I got to in a couple other countries...

You are living a great life my dear.

Supposedly there's going to be a bit of an increase in demand for community pharmacists in the near future. This just came up in one of our classes on Friday when our a faculty member that is working out in DC on health care reform came back for a visit to the university. He said that places like CVS, Walgreens, Target, etc. are starting to hire more pharmacists specifically for MTM and adding more MTM facilities. Some places are rolling this out faster than others, but regardless (according to him) it's becoming a new trend that will actually have an impact on the job market. We shall see if he is right.

You're not allowed to bring any type of positive news.

You are living a great life my dear.

I dont know about that. I gave up 10 years of my life for that. Dont get me wrong, I would not change what I did or the decisions I made about the military. But, the overseas stations are nowhere near as glamorous as they are portrayed sometimes...

All you nay-sayers helped influenced me to make the switch to medical school. I had all of my application materials done, but I'm dropping the idea of pharmacy school and will apply to med school next year.

All you nay-sayers helped influenced me to make the switch to medical school. I had all of my application materials done, but I'm dropping the idea of pharmacy school and will apply to med school next year.
If you were swayed by the posts in this thread, you probably weren't pursuing pharmacy for all that it holds in the first place. Better to find that out now before you're in the middle of your professional education. Good luck with your endeavors!

If you were swayed by the posts in this thread, you probably weren't pursuing pharmacy for all that it holds in the first place. Better to find that out now before you're in the middle of your professional education. Good luck with your endeavors!

The amount of shadowing hours that I put in was the major deciding factor, I guess that shadowing actually does help a lot.

Also thanks :)

The amount of shadowing hours that I put in was the major deciding factor, I guess that shadowing actually does help a lot.

Also thanks :)
The shadowing definitely does help. I haven't done a tremendous amount, but the little shadowing that I have done has shed light on the ways in which I hope to someday practice pharmacy. May I ask what type of healthcare setting you did the shadowing in?

The shadowing definitely does help. I haven't done a tremendous amount, but the little shadowing that I have done has shed light on the ways in which I hope to someday practice pharmacy. May I ask what type of healthcare setting you did the shadowing in?

Walgreens, an independent pharmacy, an independent pharmacy attached to a clinic, long term care pharmacy, and a hospital where I shadowed the staff, ID, critical care, and internal med pharmacists.

I had a pretty good life plan set up where after I graduate from pharmacy school I would join the Army and they would pay off $120,000 in student loans plus the other incentives such as doing a residency in the Army. I was already in the Army for 6 years and I planned on staying in as an Army pharmacist for another 14 and retire at around 48 years old with the pension then go work in a hospital.

Wow. That certainly is a life plan. Well, as I said before, good luck!

What I got out of this thread:

Question - Is pharmacy dying?
Answer - Angelina Jolie is hot.

:slap:

No she's not. Apparently she looks like a snake. :confused:

Anyway, there's more thorough coverage of this on the Pharmacy forums (I think it's called Pharmacy Outlook or somesuch, it's stickied).

What I got out of this thread:

Question - Is pharmacy dying?
Answer - Angelina Jolie is hot.

:slap:

WRONG!

It's Question - Is pharmacy dying?
Answer - Angelina Jolie looks like a nasty snake.

don't worry people make mistakes, it's how we learn.