Is Pharmacy Dying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pharmacy is dying.....
why not look into physician assistant or health care admin?? they make good money.

If only it were that easy. Most PA students are older than 30, because they're RNs who are looking to boost their job scope and start writing scripts. It's very difficult to find a PA school that doesnt require 3,000 hours of healthcare experience, and I'm pretty sure a pharm tech position doesnt qualify for those hours. Phlebotomy isn't even good enough to qualify for those hours- I say this from experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I have done a lot of researching in PA schools and they're are plenty of schools that require around 1000-2000hours. Texas schools, for example, are known for focusing more on course work than HCE.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought this was the LAW thread....or the JOLIE thread...what happened??? Anyway, I guess I'll bite....again.

what part of the country are you in? PharmaTope and I graduated from the same school... the market where we were (NJ) was/is/will be extremely bad.

I'm in Texas. It says that your location is in Houston, so I'm assuming you know the SE part of Texas pretty well. The market here is definitely not as bad as NJ.

Good save... :thumbup: So, would you advise new students to look into the field, or would you say if you're not already accepted into a program, forget it?

Definitely look into the field. However, I wouldn't go into....say $300,000 of debt. There is a limit on how much I would pay finanically for a Pharm D. I'd probably do it again if I had $200,000 or less debt (200,000-250,00 is a gray area). To answer the original question, no, pharmacy is not dead. It's not that ONLY pharmacy is having trouble with jobs, almost EVERY field is having trouble as well. We're actually lucky to say the least.

lol yeah with all these doom and gloom threads I was wondering if people were actually getting the message :rolleyes:

Well, you may have to get a bigger mallet... I dont think I have gotten through my thick skull yet... :(

I am a lowly first year PharmD student, but I have a short answer to the original question. According to one of my profs that's currently on extended sabbatical because he's in "the middle of health care reform" in DC, one of their top priorities is to figure out how to move away from dispensing and promote MTM (and to make sure that the pharmacists get paid for these services as well). So no, pharmacy is not dying, it's moving away from dispensing (McDonalds syndrome. Make an order, pay for it and pick it up) and focusing on patient care instead. Sounds like a good plan to me! Hopefully it actually happens relatively quickly.

I am a lowly first year PharmD student, but I have a short answer to the original question. According to one of my profs that's currently on extended sabbatical because he's in "the middle of health care reform" in DC, one of their top priorities is to figure out how to move away from dispensing and promote MTM (and to make sure that the pharmacists get paid for these services as well). So no, pharmacy is not dying, it's moving away from dispensing (McDonalds syndrome. Make an order, pay for it and pick it up) and focusing on patient care instead. Sounds like a good plan to me! Hopefully it actually happens relatively quickly.

I hope they can pull it off, but this is something that's been talked about for years and never completely figured out. I'm not terribly optimistic they'll get it figured out this time either.

Yo R2, think you could use some of your new asst mod powers to change the thread title to the "Jolie/Law School/Pharm Reform Megathread"?

Or is megathread too pretentious? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I could, but I don't think it's OK for me to go around renaming threads as I see fit :laugh:

What is the point of power if you don't abuse it? :smuggrin:

I kid, I kid.

You really should rename the OT thread though. I don't think you are any type of mod until you have renamed the OT thread.

What is the point of power if you don't abuse it? :smuggrin:

I kid, I kid.

You really should rename the OT thread though. I don't think you are any type of mod until you have renamed the OT thread.

I might, but I could hardly do better than the current title. Maybe I'll get some community input on the issue.

If only it were that easy. Most PA students are older than 30, because they're RNs who are looking to boost their job scope and start writing scripts. It's very difficult to find a PA school that doesnt require 3,000 hours of healthcare experience, and I'm pretty sure a pharm tech position doesnt qualify for those hours. Phlebotomy isn't even good enough to qualify for those hours- I say this from experience.

I know many people that went to PA school and I don't see the diffculty in getting those 3000 hours. How hard is it to get a job working at a doctor's office before attending PA school? If PA is what I really wanted to do I don't see how that 3000 hours is suppose to stop me from doing it. :confused: Just get any job working beside a doctor or SHADOW a doctor then you have your hours...how hard could that be?

Truth is it ain't dead. It's my first semester and the opportunities are endless. I think there is just a lot of hot air on the forums with disgruntled pharmacist/pharmacy students but if your attitude is positive and you are willing to make some sacrifices (as in you are willing to diversify), pharmacy is the way to go. I made the switch (from a straight up research chemist) and I'm pretty happy regardless how difficult it's going to be the next few years. If you aren't up for the challenge or if your heart just isn't in it, then it's not for you...simple.

Truth is it ain't dead. It's my first semester and the opportunities are endless. I think there is just a lot of hot air on the forums with disgruntled pharmacist/pharmacy students but if your attitude is positive and you are willing to make some sacrifices (as in you are willing to diversify), pharmacy is the way to go. I made the switch (from a straight up research chemist) and I'm pretty happy regardless how difficult it's going to be the next few years. If you aren't up for the challenge or if your heart just isn't in it, then it's not for you...simple.

Lets see if your saying the same in four years :p

I know many people that went to PA school and I don't see the diffculty in getting those 3000 hours. How hard is it to get a job working at a doctor's office before attending PA school? If PA is what I really wanted to do I don't see how that 3000 hours is suppose to stop me from doing it. :confused: Just get any job working beside a doctor or SHADOW a doctor then you have your hours...how hard could that be?

Shadowing full time for a year and a half? Actually, that sounds quite difficult.

Shadowing full time for a year and a half? Actually, that sounds quite difficult.

I wouldn't shadow. I would just get a job and work in a doctor's office. There are many different types of doctor's out there getting a job with one of them isn't hard.

:thumbup: TEXAS TECH FTW!!!!
Only words of wisdom fall from your mouth.

Hi,

I'm going to be a senior in highschool and I'm HIGHLY considering pharmacy as a career (and probably a 0-6 school). My question is, is this a bad choice? Is the pharmacy career dying? I feel like companies are trying to cut the 100k salaries of pharmacists by replacing them with computers... but on the other hand I feel like society's dependecy on drugs (especially with the aging baby boomers) pharmacy could only grow. Which one of these theories is right?

Thanks so much

yeah pharmacy is dying....dont do it.

ummm.... so it pharmacy in general hard to get a job or is there a specific field? What hospital sectors are super-saturated???

What's a residency program like anyways? I was thinking it's like a mini job, where you work for low pay to get some experience and the hospital you did your residency at might even hire you.

Also, could it be that one of the reasons why pharmacy is saturated is because of the baby boomers and people are also retiring later.

By the way about the Angelina Jolie thing, men like her because she has unique eyes. Men pay attention to detail when deciding if a women is attractive and women tend to look at "everything." I learned this in class :rolleyes:
But since only my opinion matters (regarding celebrities), Angelina Jolie is fugly, she looks like a snake and her lips are nasty looking.
Kim K is not hot btw, she only looks pretty sometimes, but most of the time she looks fugly. :hungover:

See, I skimmed this whole thread!

What's a residency program like anyways? I was thinking it's like a mini job, where you work for low pay to get some experience and the hospital you did your residency at might even hire you.

It isn't a mini-job, it's a job. They give you experience in different parts of a hospital, but from what I understand, expect to work your tail off.

Also, could it be that one of the reasons why pharmacy is saturated is because of the baby boomers and people are also retiring later.

Y'know how every person seems to have their own take on what the economy at large is going to do? The future of pharmacy is kinda like that - there are a multitide of factors effecting the job prospects for any field, and pharmacy is no different.

Check out the Sky Is Falling thread in the Pharmacy forum.

Just some factors influencing the outlook for pharmacy job prospects:
- Baby boomers aging.
- Pharmacists can work as long as their mental capacities are intact, and many do. I have met an 80 year old pharmacist who had no plans to retire. So pharmacists are different from other jobs in this respect.
- Generation X is smaller than the Baby Boomers, but the Millenials are just as large as the Baby Boomers.
- National obesity rate is rising, as well as all the complications.
- More maintenance drugs are available than 10-15 years ago.
- There was a pseudo-bubble created by the switch from a BS of Pharm to a PharmD. Fewer accredited schools offered the doctorate, and there was a graduation lag caused by the increased length of program.
- Pharmacist demand is tied to the economy. When the economy is down, people make tough choices & forego the medication they won't die without. Fewer people have health coverage. As the economy recovers, so will pharmacist demand, to some extent.
- It remains to be seen how healthcare legislation will effect pharmacy.
- The rise of mail order is effecting output and demand for pharmacist jobs. I believe this factor will stabilize, but is definitely still working itself out.
- Big company mergers & new business models (to deal with mail order & insurance changes, in the short term) will continue to effect pharmacists. Follow the contracts.
- Increased output of pharmacists due to more schools. This has happened before, but we'll have to see how this plays out in the next 5-10 years.

By the way about the Angelina Jolie thing, men like her because she has unique eyes. Men pay attention to detail when deciding if a women is attractive and women tend to look at "everything." I learned this in class :rolleyes: But since only my opinion matters (regarding celebrities), Angelina Jolie is fugly, she looks like a snake and her lips are nasty looking.

I don't know, she does have curves and confidence. That's all it really takes, right?

I don't know, she does have curves and confidence. That's all it really takes, right?

No she doesn't. She has a perfect snake-like body and she looks scaly too.

Snakes don't have boobs.

I know, but hers are small and her body still looks like a snakes. She looks like a scaly snake to me. Nasty!
There's really nothing pretty about her.

What turns me off is that she has no femininity. :rolleyes:
But I guess her eyes are pretty. My professor told us that men thinks she's attractive because of her eyes....

Kiyo said a dirty word....:confused:

Butter...?

Most of the pharma students I know already have s/os or are married, so I can't imagine you're talking about "boobs."

Most that you know of :)
I don't say that word around any people, whether they are married or not :cool:

is pharmacy dying?

just read the pharmacy board and see what current practitioners are saying

im not disgruntled, but a real source of info...this info sounds is much bitter than the kool aid the people in school tell you

So the questions remains - should I go for it or not??

So the questions remains - should I go for it or not??

Go for what? I thought this thread was a bunch of jumping to conclusions, unbased hyperbole and rhetorical questions... There was an actual question in here? :D

go for what? I thought this thread was a bunch of jumping to conclusions, unbased hyperbole and rhetorical questions... There was an actual question in here? :hungover:
lolz---pharmacy or no pharmacy??

lolz---pharmacy or no pharmacy??

Personally, I am still going forward on mine. I refuse to be swayed by naysayers and people that do not back up claims with verifiable data. But, each person should obviously make their own decision...

Wish you luck with whatever you do. It is going to be a rough economy for a while so be prepared for it. That is the only advice that I have...

Even if the profession is going downhill, it shouldn't stop you from becoming what you aspire to be. If it means you will have to find a job outside of your local area, then do it. There are several pharmacy staff and manager positions hiring at retail pharmacies when I did a job search.

I say, ignore what pharmacists are saying. I had a pharmacist tell me that it is harder to get a job now than it was 10 years ago.

I say, ignore what pharmacists are saying. I had a pharmacist tell me that it is harder to get a job now than it was 10 years ago.

It is. They're not throwing multiple offers and sign-on bonuses of tens of thousands of dollars at new grads. Those were the halcyon days of pharmacy shortage.

Does that mean there are NO jobs / the field is dead? Up to interpretation, I suppose.