is pharmacy really super-saturated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best though - is this video..

LMAO they're asking students about the job market as if they have any first have knowledge about working as pharmacists. How about they ask the class that graduated last year?

"as far as will I get a job when I graduate it's not something I've ever thought about" wtf??

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Students should realize colleges don't care about your future
they just want $$$ from naive students

LMAO they're asking students about the job market as if they have any first have knowledge about working as pharmacists. How about they ask the class that graduated last year?

"as far as will I get a job when I graduate it's not something I've ever thought about" wtf??

Students choose pharmacy because they don't have any other alternatives
They think pharmacy school is a smarter choice than working at a lab for 30k salary (and they don't care about the job market as long as they can "potentially" make 100k)

This is true for 90% of applicants

if you have a low gpa and thats the reason for going to pharmacy school
just do a post-bacc or SMP

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Students should realize colleges don't care about your future
they just want $$$ from naive students

Students choose pharmacy because they don't have any other alternatives
They think pharmacy school is a smarter choice than working at a lab for 30k salary (and they don't care about the job market as long as they can "potentially" make 100k)

This is true for 90% of applicants

if you have a low gpa and thats the reason for going to pharmacy school
just do a post-bacc or SMP
Are they scared of the debt at all?

Are they scared of the debt at all?

They only look at the gross salary and not the net income and lost earnings opportunity cost. It's like valuing a car based on its sticker price.

If they have to take out $400k in loans for the chance to earn $100k/year then they will gladly do so.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I too would choose a 1 in 2 shot at 100K vs. certain 30K. That 30K job is still going to be there, after all (and there are plenty of 30K jobs out there).

What is this 1 in 2 shot you speak of? There are literally over 300 applications for each pharmacist job posted.

P(getting 100k) = P(getting 100k | noob pharmacist) x P (noob pharmacist) + P(getting 100k | not noob pharmacist) x P (not noob pharmacist)

If you are a noob pharmacist, then P (noob pharmacist) = 1 but P(getting 100k | noob pharmacist) is going to be affected by whether the hiring manager wants to roll the dice on you.

So prob not if you are not a known quantity to them (did you work as an intern for that company or independent pharmacy. Can someone vouch for you)

I am so tired of this question. It’s a valid concern; I’m tired of the responses. If you’re in college considering pharmacy, shadow as much as you can and explore non traditional career paths, which you can learn more about through the RxRadio podcast. Make sure it is 100% what you want to do, have the motivation and discipline to stand out, and be open to every opportunity.

here’s one take I like in particular:

Last edited:
here’s one take I like in particular:

What a joke. This guy wants people to write cover letters for every job position a pharmacist applies for, which in this market will be at least 30+. Even if it doesn't automatically get filtered out by HR, no pharmacy manager is going to want to read through the 50+ cover letters that they get.

It's just a ploy to try to get people to buy more of their crap. Basically on par with that other shill alex barker.

What a joke. This guy wants people to write cover letters for every job position a pharmacist applies for, which in this market will be at least 30+. Even if it doesn't automatically get filtered out by HR, no pharmacy manager is going to want to read through the 50+ cover letters that they get.

It's just a ploy to try to get people to buy more of their crap. Basically on par with that other shill alex barker.
Yea, the whole website just sounded like some person stroking their own ego.

‍♀️ The conclusion I came to was that in spite of all these new schools and large classes, many new grads will not be high quality or equipped to be competitive in this job market.

‍♀️ The conclusion I came to was that in spite of all these new schools and large classes, many new grads will not be high quality or equipped to be competitive in this job market.
Are they not high quality or equipped in term of applying for a job or in term of working?

Are they not high quality or equipped in term of applying for a job or in term of working?
Probably a mixture of both. Scrolling through your other posts on this thread, I think you made a lot of good points as well. Schools have lowered admissions standards so people who can’t handle the coursework flunk out or don’t make it. But plenty will thrive too, as you mentioned with new grads. Market saturation and competition are facts, but I don’t think it’s so bleak for a pre-pharmacy student who knows what they’re getting into and makes smart decisions. “Smart decisions” I would define as 1. Staying in-state at a public institution. 2. Going to an established institution. 3. Going to a school with a solid NAPLEX/MPJE pass rate 4. Self-awareness of aptitude to pass rigorous courses in the sciences, or at least willingness to work hard and seek help when struggling. 5. Knowing what they’re getting into by talking to current pharmacists about the job market, i.e. Pharmacists from a variety of different practice types outside of retail, who aren’t just going to complain but will explain the whole picture and the future of the profession objectively.

Probably a mixture of both. Scrolling through your other posts on this thread, I think you made a lot of good points as well. Schools have lowered admissions standards so people who can’t handle the coursework flunk out or don’t make it. But plenty will thrive too, as you mentioned with new grads. Market saturation and competition are facts, but I don’t think it’s so bleak for a pre-pharmacy student who knows what they’re getting into and makes smart decisions. “Smart decisions” I would define as 1. Staying in-state at a public institution. 2. Going to an established institution. 3. Going to a school with a solid NAPLEX/MPJE pass rate 4. Self-awareness of aptitude to pass rigorous courses in the sciences, or at least willingness to work hard and seek help when struggling. 5. Knowing what they’re getting into by talking to current pharmacists about the job market, i.e. Pharmacists from a variety of different practice types outside of retail, who aren’t just going to complain but will explain the whole picture and the future of the profession objectively.
Oh, and going into it with a bachelor’s degree. Have that already under their belt if possible, and consider a dual degree (MBA, MPH, etc.) while in school.

‍♀ The conclusion I came to was that in spite of all these new schools and large classes, many new grads will not be high quality or equipped to be competitive in this job market.
Eh if you're going into retail, which still constitutes the vast majority of pharmacist jobs, it doesn't really matter if you're "high quality" or not. You are set up to fail anyway with impossible to meet metrics and lack of hours/resources. As for other jobs, being competitive may help, but since pharmacist supply is outpacing demand right now, salaries will likely decrease regardless.

Reactions: 1 users
‍♀ The conclusion I came to was that in spite of all these new schools and large classes, many new grads will not be high quality or equipped to be competitive in this job market.
Or they'll graduate and simply never pass the NABPLEX and become licensed. Look at some of the abysmal pass rates this year. Apparently the schools just want the money and could care less whether students actually become licensed....

Well, not sure about complaining part solely tied with Retail Pharmacists. Clinical pharmacists complain and wish they went to Medical school instead.

The problem with your logic is that doing #1-5 has no impact on your ability to actually get a job once you graduate. "Knowing what you're getting into" doesn't give you any competitive advantage in the job market because when there are no jobs, there are no jobs.

In my opinion, those that will "thrive" in the future will be the ones:

1. Networking their tails off from day 1 or pre-day 1 of pharmacy school, and networking well before you need to actually leverage that network.

2. Determining their exact interest and specializing/focusing all their time and effort in that area from day 1 of pharmacy school

3. Putting in the minimum scholastic effort needed to achieve #2; for example if they wanted to become a "clinical pharmacist" then they would need to do residency which means putting in enough time to ensure their GPA is competitive; if they wanted to do anything else then GPA doesn't matter because pharmacy is not a merit-based profession so just putting in the bare minimum to pass classes/boards

4. Pursuing a dual degree (preferably technical degree) while enrolled in school, so that when they graduate they will have some actual technical skills that employers might find useful to their business instead of just having the PharmD training which provides no technical or real-world skills.

Networking sounds amazing. Suckig up, on the other hand, not as much.

You think there is difference, prepharms? Yes, there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.