SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Is pharmacy school worth it?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Pharmgrad2017, Oct 9, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Pharmgrad2017

Pharmgrad2017

Oct 7, 2017
    As a recent 2017 pharmacy grad I just thought I would come on here and share my experience because I wish I would have seen a post like this before I started. If you are thinking about pharmacy school, I would highly suggest that you do your research and reconsider. The job market is currently saturated because pharmacy schools are pumping out way too many students. My graduating class has more than 14,000 new graduates coming out which is much higher than the demand. Companies like Walgreens and CVS are starting to implement wage/hiring freezes and jobs are becoming extremely difficult to come by. I can't even imagine what it will be like in 4 years, you'll never be able to find a job. I myself am also considering going back to school. Also, don't let the admissions people fool you by telling you that the job market is supposed to increase, those projected numbers were based off of a study called the Pharmacy Workforce Project, which they have since realized have made a huge mistake and EXTREMELY overestimated the number of pharmacists that are going to be needed. The Bureau of Labor Statistics only projects a 3% increase which is way below average. Also, if retail isn't your thing and you want to do hospital pharmacy or research, research is almost impossible to get a job and hospital residencies are becoming EXTREMELY competitive and very difficult to get. Pharmacy no longer has the prestige that it did years ago. Just look at what it takes to get into pharmacy school now, basically anyone can get in. Pharmacy has also become much more political and money driven, you don't really get the opportunity to help patients like you used to. If you want to help patients, you will be able to do this MUCH MORE if you become a physician or PA/NP. Nursing would even be a better idea. These are all things that you should consider when looking into pharmacy school and do not let the admissions people fool you because they just want your money. PICK A DIFFERENT PROFESSION.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. stoichiometrist

stoichiometrist 5+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2011
    If you want the highest take-home pay for the work-life balance I would still choose software engineering. The average salary has surpassed $100k, and that is without having to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years of your life in school.

To assess supply vs demand, just look at the difference between how pharmacists and software engineers are treated. Software engineers get all sorts of perks, i.e. catered gourmet meals, on-site gym and laundry, free employee shuttles, etc. whereas pharmacists are on our feet for as long as 14 hours and would consider a bathroom break a luxury. You can tell how replaceable those in each profession are based on how they are treated overall by their employers.

4. Pharmgrad2017

Pharmgrad2017

Oct 7, 2017
    Couldn’t agree more...software engineering would be a much better option. Either that or PA school offer a great deal of benefits.

GrapePropel likes this.
  5. quickpic007

quickpic007

Sep 22, 2016
    my ? is how did you not know when you entered in 2013 or 14 if youre a 2017 grad. Rural areas were still doing 20k bonus sure but big city bonuses had dried some time ago...

6. Pharmgrad2017

Pharmgrad2017

Oct 7, 2017
    When I entered in 2013, the job outlook according to BLS was 14% growth until the year 2025 (it is now 3%) and a lot of the more recent studies published with more accurate reflections of the job market were not out yet. It was just after I started pharmacy school that a lot of these numbers came out. I also didn't mention anything about bonus pay so that's getting a little bit off topic. Just simply referring to the job market and outlook in general

7. quickpic007

quickpic007

Sep 22, 2016
    not sure if that was your only criteria for doing rx (its a bad one as you can see)
    I used the sign on bonus model
    2004 employer pays 100 % of tuition plus 10-20k sign on (4 year commit)
    2009 50k sign on (4 year commit)
    2013 25k sign on 2 year commit
    2017 no sign on (until someone quits)

8. Pharmgrad2017

Pharmgrad2017

Oct 7, 2017
    Haha, I wouldn’t really consider your method full proof at all. Lots of careers in high demand don’t offer sign on bonuses so I highly question your methodology

9. GrapePropel

GrapePropel pharmaCYST Banned

Sep 26, 2017
    PharmaSissy, Cucked, NV
    the thing is these majors are actually hard. Pharmacy school is very easy. That is why so many greedy and dumb people go into it looking for a quick handout.

10. Pharmgrad2017

Pharmgrad2017

Oct 7, 2017
    Eh, did you do a PharmD program? I wouldn’t say that at all, there was plenty of people that failed out of my program.

TheOracle and AsianCakeBaker like this.
  11. BelowTheMean

BelowTheMean Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 12, 2005
    San Diego
    Pharmacy profession keeps getting worse and worse every year it seems. One of my classmates who has been working at CVS for 6 years already just got fired. They said she acted "unprofessional". All that happened was she was at a really busy store and couldnt verify fast enough as the techs wanted so they were yelling and slamming baskets down cuz they were frustrated and she told them off. Long story short even #%#king techs are more treasured by these companies than a person with a professional degree. Don't waste your time, this profession is total crap. Not to mention all those areas they tell you pharmacists will do are now overrun by NP/PA and good luck trying to get those people to give that up to pharmacists. I just want to be able to help any souls on the fence about pharmacy to LOOK THE OTHER WAY!.

GroverPsychMD and TheOracle like this.
  12. phuongkim

phuongkim

Oct 23, 2017
    6 years only? Pssh...
    CVS fired me after 15 years for underperforming in order to hire a 28 year old to replace me for lower starting pay. They dont care one iota about pharmacists or patient safety. Not sure how old your classmate is but I'm 47 and have been unemployed for the past 8 months and the likelihood of me getting another job at this point is none. Since my husband works only part time it's so hard to get by with only that. At least the positive is my sons have that obamacare for now and reduced lunches. Oh and they will be forever saved from doing pharmacy like mommy...they better not!

TheOracle and throw_away5122 like this.
  13. throw_away5122

throw_away5122 Banned Banned Account on Hold

Jun 3, 2016
    The problem w pharmacy is that it is dominated by big corporation like CVS, walgreens... Even if you attempt to open your own pharmacy, chances are your store won't survive.

14. PharmZimbo

PharmZimbo 5+ Year Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Arizona
    The hospital I'm currently working at just hired a new student that will soon apply to Pharmacy school in the upcoming year. Deep down I wanted to pull her aside and tell her to look into other professions such as do PA, RN or CNP, but then again who am I to change someone's mind about the career they have set their eyes on. I think many of us (Graduates or RPh's) mean well when we advise the upcoming students to look at other professions, but then again I put myself in their shoes and wonder if I would have taken their advice 4-5 years ago.

As for the person that talked about sign on bonuses, good luck finding companies still offering such incentives. Many rural areas are getting a huge influx of graduates NOT seeking a sign on bonus, but rather full time jobs. My 2 cents regarding the pharmacy profession would be, to consider the possibility of relocation to find a job. "Be flexible!"

quickpic007 likes this.
  15. BigBoss

BigBoss 2+ Year Member

Feb 21, 2015
    You should do that student a favor by telling them the truth. Whether they change their mind is a separate matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheOracle and quickpic007 like this.
  16. TheOracle

TheOracle

Oct 30, 2017
    I am currently an intern at a grocery store pharmacy. I had to stay 2 hours to help because we were backed up 200+ prescriptions. Have in mind, I had assignments from rotation to complete and I had worked 12 days in a row. One customer had the gall to complain and say I was rude because I had to get customers quickly through the line and he had come to pick up his prescription after the gate had closed. I didn't drink one sip of water or eat one crumb that day. When I finally got home, my pee was brown and kidneys hurt. I went for a school-sponsored job interview recently and the company I am interning for IS NOT EVEN HIRING! Residency is a long shot, so it looks like I will have to go back to school and study nursing or computer engineering after I graduate with a useless PharmD.

17. stoichiometrist

stoichiometrist 5+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2011
    See, this is how employers treat you when you are replaceable knowing that you have no else to go if you do not accept the work conditions. If you complain then they will gladly replace you with a new grad with $200k+ in loans who will put up with the abuse just to have a job.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Charcoales likes this.
  18. TheOracle

TheOracle

Oct 30, 2017
    I am currently in a state of disillusionment; I have just come face to face with reality and it hurts. I was always told that retail was something to fall back on. I knew things were getting bad when the estimated growth of the profession went from 38% to 3% over the last ~6 years. All through pharmacy school I constantly looked on the manpower website and I thought my state was doing ok, at 3.0. I did not realize the degree of saturation until I interviewed with the company I am interning for. They hired 20 interns 2 years ago, with the assumption that we would all be brought on as pharmacists some day. This weekend, I realized that they are only hiring 1-2 interns for part-time/floating positions. Why did they even hire interns and give us false hope. I wish I listened when I had the chance. I have so much regret now. I really wish these pre-pharm students consider other fields because the stuff is starting to hit the fan.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  19. manan982

manan982 2+ Year Member

Nov 3, 2015
    This is so sad and makes me worried that 5 years from now, I'll be jobless

20. TheOracle

TheOracle

Oct 30, 2017
    Perhaps, who knows...

21. quickpic007

quickpic007

Sep 22, 2016
    There is hope- think of the most desolate, horrible, cold place and call a store in your chain there. Ask for the recruiters or DM info and briefly explain you are an intern in a saturated market. If they hang up, call the next store up the road...someone will help you get an interview if there is a need in their district.

I am glad you realize you didn't listen when you had the chance. The RX gravy train sailed in 2009, eight years ago.

If you have not graduated yet think about it...

22. UGAZ

UGAZ SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2015
    This should be a sticky post to alert pre-pharm students. A lot of them are actually blindly going to the profession without understanding how saturated the job market is and will be.

23. UGAZ

Jan 13, 2015
    I am surprised nobody bumps this up....Amazing relevant subject now

steveysmith54 likes this.
  24. Charcoales

Charcoales 5+ Year Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Market is super saturated atm. Many rph I work with seem scared, they feel trapped with large loans but feel forced to stay even with deplorable working conditions (staying late, no lunch, no bathroom, forced to verify so many rx's that it feels some big mistake is going to happen, yelled at constantly by entitled customers, etc)

25. UGAZ

Jan 13, 2015
    Which state/area are you from? Here at California, it's pretty bad too. I assume you're at populated city like me, in Orange County.

26. jhawkins16

jhawkins16

Nov 30, 2017
    I believe that as the profession grows pharmacy schools will become even more competitive. Maybe not as bad as medical school, but I believe that pre-pharmacy students like myself should consider ourselves lucky for applying now instead of 10 years from now. Froms sources I've read the pharmacy profession is expected to grow by 25% through just 2020. That's insane.

27. dannnielleeee

dannnielleeee 2+ Year Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 5.6% growth by 2026.

jhawkins16 likes this.
  28. luan22

luan22 https://dichvutaichinh.tumblr.com/

Nov 22, 2017
    Nó là một vấn đề khó khăn, tôi đang học và tôi cần phải cố gắng hết sức để vượt qua khó khăn

29. PharmacistFl12

PharmacistFl12 5+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Are you being sarcastic?

30. GypsyHummus

GypsyHummus 5+ Year Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Now, a big question that I have is, which one is the less saturated field and overall better profession (pick your poison) to enter; Optometry or Pharmacy?

Both have a problem with schools expanding

Both have saturation issues

Both are allied healthcare professionals who are now wrapped up in the cooperate money making scheme

Both have outrageous student loans problems

Both have trouble finding full time work

Both will most likley work for retail chains

Both are 4 years, but many are doing residency

31. KKUO

KKUO

Feb 28, 2017
    from what i'm seeing, pharmacists are needed however not as much as dentists and doctors. my friend recently just got into pharm schools with 2.6-2.7 gpa. the rest of his application is meh. Here, you can see pharm schools accept wide range of people from GPA 2.6 to 3.6 but for limited range of job opportunities in the future. Dental and med schools are getting much harder to get into each year, with 2.6 you have no chance. for job saturation, i think pharmacist will have the toughest in the future. espcially technology is getting more advanced. some might say pharmacists will be replaced by robots (not now but i think its very possible in the future) well, maybe i'm just being salty because i have to study my ass off for dental school while my friend didn't study that much and got into pharm school.

32. manan982

manan982 2+ Year Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Yea but your friend will have to work his ass off in pharm school Bc it's no choice and then he has to take the NAPLAX and that's no joke either so we'll see how much your friend can slack off

KKUO likes this.