Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is Phi Beta Kappa Worth a Waitlist Update?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mcjay, Apr 4, 2004.

1. mcjay

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is Phi Beta Kappa a good send to update a waitlist application?

Also, what the heck is it, really??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    just that alone?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bewitched1081

bewitched1081 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

email and ask. pbk is an honours society

4. mcjay

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No, definitely not alone! It will be accompanied by other stuff.

Let me revamp my question. How credible/honorable is it?

5. Trekkie963

Trekkie963 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Phi Beta Kappa is a well-known honor to receive, so I definitely think it is worth an update letter. Include any other smaller things in the letter, too, and of course express your continued interest in the school (and intent to enroll if accepted, if that is the case).

Congratulations!

6. bewitched1081

7+ Year Member

that's subjective. but to give you an idea, i think it is the only honors society that is included in our honors convocation, along with the cum laudes.

7. mcjay

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    bewitched1081, what school are you at? If you don't mind me asking.

8. bewitched1081

7+ Year Member

im at uci, but you know i think inductees from other societies are also at the honors convocation. i didnt flip through the entire book.

9. mcjay

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think my school only gives honors cords.

Thanks for your help everyone!

10. Spitting Camel

Spitting Camel Anteater for Life!
    7+ Year Member

Hey Bewitched,
    I'm at uci too! Which book are you talking about? I'd like to get my hands on it if I could...

Also, do you know where you'll be going next year? If you're a 4th year bio major, I bet we know each other! How funny!

Bleh... remember? :laugh:

11. bewitched1081

7+ Year Member

the little booklet that they give you if you attend. i wasnt able to attend last year because i had a final, but i looked through it at senior day in emerald bay. im not sure if we know each other. i dont really talk to many people. hahaha.

12. Spitting Camel

Spitting Camel Anteater for Life!
    7+ Year Member

Wait, so you graduated already? Maybe we don't know each other :( What other societies are honored there? Would you know, by any chance?

13. bewitched1081

7+ Year Member

no i didnt graduate. i dont know what other societies are in the convocation. but if you are in one of them you will be notified.

14. PianoGirl04

PianoGirl04 living for tomorrow
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    PBK is for undergrad what AOA is for med school...really the only prestigious, nationally recognized honor society. It will probably be the only activity from college that will stay on your resume for the rest of your life. For example, my dad just got inducted into a nuclear medicine fellowship, and they gave a brief description of him in the program (based on his CV). They still mentioned that he was in PBK now, which is 30 years after he graduated.

15. Habari

Habari Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

it definately is - if you have more to add, the better; a girl from my school 2 years ago was accepted to HMS from the waitlist because of that update alone. she was probably very close to the top - but it did the trick.

16. XCanadianRagwee

XCanadianRagwee Membership Revoked
    Removed

I Phelta Theta is enough for an update letter...