You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Is preference given to attractive interview candidates?
Started by starstruck20
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
People are naturally drawn to things they find attractive. Just present yourself in the most favorable way possible and work on your interview skills.
I know me and my friends who are in engineering all weight lift and work out a lot while my friends who are in more "relaxed" majors don't work out at all.
Engineers...lifting? Pretty sure I was one of two people of the 80 engineers in my department who lifted. Ask the ten most swolbraham lincoln bros in the gym what their majors are. I can almost guarantee you none of them will be engineering.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I look like Godfrey Gao, I supposed a full tuition scholarship to Harvard is an acceptable offer. Darn you genetic!
This needs to be the new format for WAMC.MCAT 35, GPA: 3.8, Face: 8.7/10
What are my chances?
Only add a body score as well.
Bod 8/10
This needs to be the new format for WAMC.
Only add a body score as well.
Bod 8/10
Do you think an 8 in verbal can be made up by a 9.0 body and a 9.5 face?
New LizzyM score is GPA*10 + MCAT + (total score for body and face)/5Do you think an 8 in verbal can be made up by a 9.0 body and a 9.5 face?
Yes, it's called the halo effect.
In short, people tend to perceive attractive people as more trustworthy, kind, intelligent, sociable ect.
"Short."
<Sees major ugo at orientation>
"Wow, they must be a GENIUS."
"Wow, they must be a GENIUS."
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the other way around actually. Sometimes, if a person is TOO attractive, they come off as arrogant, cocky, full of themselves, overly confident, not very nice, etc etc.
Only if their actions/facial expressions/mannerisms reflect that. I don't think people make those judgements based on nothing but looks.I wouldn't be surprised if it was the other way around actually. Sometimes, if a person is TOO attractive, they come off as arrogant, cocky, full of themselves, overly confident, not very nice, etc etc.
I think jealous people do sometimesOnly if their actions/facial expressions/mannerisms reflect that. I don't think people make those judgements based on nothing but looks.
Fair enough. I've noticed this particularly among women. And I say that as a female.I think jealous people do sometimes
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted393595
To quote our resident neurosurgeon:
What's considered "short" for men? Anything below 5' 7"?
For what its worth, and I am really letting the cat out of the bag here, all of the competitive residencies use the "bench + board score" as the true metric for academic and personal success.
"Short."
What's considered "short" for men? Anything below 5' 7"?
Fair enough. I've noticed this particularly among women. And I say that as a female.
I think that's why I remember reading that guys being attractive will help them in general (in terms of getting employment/hired) but that if a girl is too good looking, it will in fact work against her (both because other girls' perceptions/jealous and that guys' perceptions will be that she's not as serious/intelligent/capable)
Although I think girls will judge other girls for being TOO dolled up, which you shouldn't be anyway for a med school interview. My impression is you just need to be clean, not decked out in full gear.
To quote our resident neurosurgeon:
What's considered "short" for men? Anything below 5' 7"?
Anything below 5'10". Maybe 5'9".
does this mean that ugly people can get URM status?
Yeah, but I think it gets balanced out by all the pretty girls who actually do get hired because of their looks. I'd say it's about even across the board, with hotter girls having maybe a slight advantage.I think that's why I remember reading that guys being attractive will help them in general (in terms of getting employment/hired) but that if a girl is too good looking, it will in fact work against her (both because other girls' perceptions/jealous and that guys' perceptions will be that she's not as serious/intelligent/capable)
Business and Kinesiology majors lift at my schoolEngineers...lifting? Pretty sure I was one of two people of the 80 engineers in my department who lifted. Ask the ten most swolbraham lincoln bros in the gym what their majors are. I can almost guarantee you none of them will be engineering.
Business and Kinesiology majors lift at my school
at my school, kinesiology majors think they lift, but they dont even
What is attractiveness? Even if you go with impressions alone, most of it is skill and hard work with like 30% or so being genetics at most. (IDK, this isn't quantifiable!)
A witty, well dressed, and fit person with a good voice and charisma will always look better than the airhead klutz with bewbs.
A witty, well dressed, and fit person with a good voice and charisma will always look better than the airhead klutz with bewbs.
Not true. Genetics is most important. Sry.What is attractiveness? Even if you go with impressions alone, most of it is skill and hard work with like 30% or so being genetics at most.
Different experiences I guess.. My major lifting buddy is an EE and he is swole ripped AND shredded. Dude eats nothing but chicken and protein powder and can spend 2+ hours just lifting in a day. Its his favorite activity.. I WILL say that in my experience aerospace engineers, in fact, do not lift.Engineers...lifting? Pretty sure I was one of two people of the 80 engineers in my department who lifted. Ask the ten most swolbraham lincoln bros in the gym what their majors are. I can almost guarantee you none of them will be engineering.
Overall your actually probably right though, I guess my experience has been unusual.
Yeah.. I would say its like, 80% genetics honestly.. Your face is your face, not much you can do about it.Not true. Genetics is most important. Sry.
Yeah, because tht definitely looks 100% naturalthere is always plastic surgery
Yeah.. I would say its like, 80% genetics honestly.. Your face is your face, not much you can do about it.
Look at celebs like Jonah Hill. Good looking happy guy when he's slim, but a ball of fat not many people can like when he's obese. And I'm sure you know plenty of people like that. I'm also friends with a family of cool guys who are all very round and look like human billiard balls. However, one of them trained everyday to become a good swimmer/triathlete and now he looks like a knockoff Michael Phelps. handsome looks and everything. Did his face change? None of the 'features' did, making him look "exactly the same" in that regard. But it's also clean, fit, and very athletic-looking, which made it much much more "attractive".
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To quote our resident neurosurgeon:
What's considered "short" for men? Anything below 5' 7"?
I haven't read the entire thread so take this for what it's worth
The main question is "Is preference given to attractive interview candidates?" Obviously the answer is yes. It is another factor on the application. My favorite hypothetical is to create 2 applicants, all other things being equal, who would match? In this setting, always the more attractive resident.
That being said, and again I didn't read the thread but I speculate from what I'm quoting "what's considered 'short' for a man? Anything below 5'7"? You guys are trying to inflate one another's egos or piss further on those who are concerned.
Let me tell you this story and explain "attraction" from a program's point of view. 1) metrics: grades/scores/letters/fit 2) Physical/sexual attractiveness. You are a fool if you think 2 does not play any role. As a residency program, the goal is to find someone who can come in to the current system, learn it, thrive, do well, perhaps change it slightly to make it better, and at the end of the day come out the other end a successful doctor. Plain Jane? Great! Victoria Secret model? Great!
What it comes down to is fit for the program, on all of those factors. We had an applicant who was, how shall we say it, ugly/overweight, a little malodorous. He came from an average program with poor scores. The guy was a juggernaut. He published everything. Huge papers. The interview was amazing, it was like talking to someone I knew for a while. At the end I felt like I was trying to sell my program (which I usually do), but sincerely. Like I might be offended if he gave me the impression he was considering other places. We ended up ranking him highly, despite his appearance, grade, and score issues.
D
deleted393595
I haven't read the entire thread so take this for what it's worth
The main question is "Is preference given to attractive interview candidates?" Obviously the answer is yes. It is another factor on the application. My favorite hypothetical is to create 2 applicants, all other things being equal, who would match? In this setting, always the more attractive resident.
That being said, and again I didn't read the thread but I speculate from what I'm quoting "what's considered 'short' for a man? Anything below 5'7"? You guys are trying to inflate one another's egos or piss further on those who are concerned.
Let me tell you this story and explain "attraction" from a program's point of view. 1) metrics: grades/scores/letters/fit 2) Physical/sexual attractiveness. You are a fool if you think 2 does not play any role. As a residency program, the goal is to find someone who can come in to the current system, learn it, thrive, do well, perhaps change it slightly to make it better, and at the end of the day come out the other end a successful doctor. Plain Jane? Great! Victoria Secret model? Great!
What it comes down to is fit for the program, on all of those factors. We had an applicant who was, how shall we say it, ugly/overweight, a little malodorous. He came from an average program with poor scores. The guy was a juggernaut. He published everything. Huge papers. The interview was amazing, it was like talking to someone I knew for a while. At the end I felt like I was trying to sell my program (which I usually do), but sincerely. Like I might be offended if he gave me the impression he was considering other places. We ended up ranking him highly, despite his appearance, grade, and score issues.
QED
I haven't read the entire thread so take this for what it's worth
The main question is "Is preference given to attractive interview candidates?" Obviously the answer is yes. It is another factor on the application. My favorite hypothetical is to create 2 applicants, all other things being equal, who would match? In this setting, always the more attractive resident.
That being said, and again I didn't read the thread but I speculate from what I'm quoting "what's considered 'short' for a man? Anything below 5'7"? You guys are trying to inflate one another's egos or piss further on those who are concerned.
Let me tell you this story and explain "attraction" from a program's point of view. 1) metrics: grades/scores/letters/fit 2) Physical/sexual attractiveness. You are a fool if you think 2 does not play any role. As a residency program, the goal is to find someone who can come in to the current system, learn it, thrive, do well, perhaps change it slightly to make it better, and at the end of the day come out the other end a successful doctor. Plain Jane? Great! Victoria Secret model? Great!
What it comes down to is fit for the program, on all of those factors. We had an applicant who was, how shall we say it, ugly/overweight, a little malodorous. He came from an average program with poor scores. The guy was a juggernaut. He published everything. Huge papers. The interview was amazing, it was like talking to someone I knew for a while. At the end I felt like I was trying to sell my program (which I usually do), but sincerely. Like I might be offended if he gave me the impression he was considering other places. We ended up ranking him highly, despite his appearance, grade, and score issues.
That's all nice and good but I just finished climbing down the mountain from my monthly consult with Brodin the Swolefather and this is what he said:
First, thy shall be tall. 6'2 Master Race
Thy Clavicles shall be broad like the branches of an Oak, and you will shoulder-mog your competitors to oblivion.
Thy wilt also done get well shredded. Thy cheekbones will cut open the sky, revealing a vision of abs like the mountains of the moon that lesser men will ponder and women shalt swoon under.
Before the sun setteth today, thou will attend the Iron Temple and pray for gainz. Go, now, Brometheus, and when you return a moon from now you will have made all kindz of gainz, else you will be cast down and get not an M.D., but a D.N.P like 2014 Kobe.
Going to get plastic surgery on my face so I can increase my chances of becoming a plastic surgeon.
Engineers...lifting? Pretty sure I was one of two people of the 80 engineers in my department who lifted. Ask the ten most swolbraham lincoln bros in the gym what their majors are. I can almost guarantee you none of them will be engineering.
Uhhh at my school, most of the people I've seen in the gym actually are engineers. I'm one of them. There's some strange correlation between athletics and choosing hard majors.
In all seriousness, yes but I think it's more important to focus on your interviewing skills. Yes because we're humans living in a sick society.
you straight up have the greatest avatar every created. definitely the best angle.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 1K