You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Is preference given to attractive interview candidates?
Started by starstruck20
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
in all seriousness, yes. time to hit the gym OP ...
"Why lift when it's all about the face?"
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's why it seems like a far better idea to wear an attractive outfit while still mostly appropriate and is flattering than some boring plain jane outfit.
Of course.
Preference in practically everything in life is given to attractive people.
Preference in practically everything in life is given to attractive people.
I've heard that if you're an 8+/10 you get about 2.5 points added to your MCAT score (old scale)
Everyone in my class is handsome/pretty.
Of course. Preference in practically everything in life is given to attractive people.
In all seriousness, yes but I think it's more important to focus on your interviewing skills. Yes because we're humans living in a sick society.
As offensive as it may sound, you will soon come to understand the meaning of "honor boobs."
.
Last edited:
I think looks def. play a role. But remember, when making decisions they also have to incorporate many objective variables including MCAT score, GPA, hours volunteered.
PS: I was just thinking about the girl that got banned. She would have loved this question. Lol.
PS: I was just thinking about the girl that got banned. She would have loved this question. Lol.
H
HCHopeful
.
Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. I'm so in
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Confused as to why some of you think this is something I would be worried about!
The one thing I am worried about though is wearing some ugly plain jane interview outfit that I don't feel confident in whatsoever. I would rather wear something more flattering but it's probably not what most women wear in med school interviews
I'll just blame my post-secondary pre-interview rejections on being "2ugly4skool". 😛
Speaking from personal experience, being tall is an excellent advantage in nearly everything. Except airplanes.
Speaking from personal experience, being tall is an excellent advantage in nearly everything. Except airplanes.
I agree. Tall, good looking people have a lot going for them.
I agree. Tall, good looking people have a lot going for them.
the curse of a materialistic society
If you need to lawyer up as a premed, you've probably done something wrong.Hit the gym. (Also, delete Facebook and lawyer up.)
Looks matter, because unfortunately people are hard-wired to care about them. They will matter more or less depending on the adcom and their level of self awareness.
Looks matter. But imho identification with tribe matters more.If you need to lawyer up as a premed, you've probably done something wrong.
Looks matter, because unfortunately people are hard-wired to care about them. They will matter more or less depending on the adcom and their level of self awareness.
It would be a subconscious thing. But I think it definitely occurs. Thoughts?
Define, ¨attractive.¨
the type of girls you cant get, you dweebDefine, ¨attractive.¨
PS: I was just thinking about the girl that got banned. She would have loved this question. Lol.
That wasn't a girl...
If you look at the average matriculating medical school class, you'll notice they're definitely more attractive on average than the general population. In my lab we call them "hot baby doctors"
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You do have to consider the fact that 50% of the general population is also overweight-obese.If you look at the average matriculating medical school class, you'll notice they're definitely more attractive on average than the general population. In my lab we call them "hot baby doctors"
Probably because of the general personality of a lot of people that are attracted to medicine.. We like challenges and working hard. I know me and my friends who are in engineering all weight lift and work out a lot while my friends who are in more "relaxed" majors don't work out at all. Definitely not true for everyone, but it's a trend I noticed in my personal experience.If you look at the average matriculating medical school class, you'll notice they're definitely more attractive on average than the general population. In my lab we call them "hot baby doctors"
It's likely a combination of those factors. Medical students are more likely to be health-conscious, combined with the fact that attractiveness can be construed as being charismatic in interviews. = pretty med students
"Why lift when it's all about the face?"
I hate this saying. Most people can get a much more attractive face if they lose weight and tone up by hitting the gym. Not many people look good with fat face. Even if they are a "normal weight" getting a bit more lean can add just a touch of definition to their face that can make quite the difference. Also a muscular upper body can provide a much more flattering "frame" for certain faces (especially people who are bald/ have short hair.)
I know it's a joke but I feel like some people actually use that as a reason to NOT work out.
The one thing I am worried about though is wearing some ugly plain jane interview outfit that I don't feel confident in whatsoever. I would rather wear something more flattering but it's probably not what most women wear in med school interviews
You don't have to wear some ugly plain Jane interview outfit. But neither should you look like a TV lawyer or newscaster. To clarify that last bit, I've seen a number of outfits on TV lawyers and newscasters that could work if they were only 2 sizes bigger. Interview skirts should 'skim', not hug the tush.
Not at my school.
Does happen in Business, though.
Does happen in Business, though.
It would be a subconscious thing. But I think it definitely occurs. Thoughts?
What do you mean by business?Not at my school.
Does happen in Business, though.
Like banking/private equity/venture capital?
Or just in general?
Did you notice that I capitalized "Business"?
What do you mean by business?
Like banking/private equity/venture capital?
Or just in general?
Haha yeah I see that now. ThxDid you notice that I capitalized "Business"?
I've heard that if you're an 8+/10 you get about 2.5 points added to your MCAT score (old scale)
But I am very ugly! Curse you adcoms, foiled again.
hahahaha
MCAT 35, GPA: 3.8, Face: 8.7/10 What are my chances?
Picture?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have half of my face in my pic......Where do I stand on the 1-10 scale?
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1468-2389.00135/abstract
In this particular study,
"Results indicated that attractiveness had no impact when the quality of the application was high but that attractiveness was an advantage when the application was mediocre. When the résumé quality was average the attractive applicant was evaluated more positively than the control, no photograph, applicant; an attractive photograph boosted the evaluation of a mediocre application."
If you get the chance, I recommend checking out Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. The dude was a psychologist, but he won the Nobel Prize in economics for all of his experiments that directly contradicted the then-prevailing idea that people usually make rational economic choices. He talks about this particular bias and other ones that suggest that our conscious thoughts are often controlled by unconscious biases.
In this particular study,
"Results indicated that attractiveness had no impact when the quality of the application was high but that attractiveness was an advantage when the application was mediocre. When the résumé quality was average the attractive applicant was evaluated more positively than the control, no photograph, applicant; an attractive photograph boosted the evaluation of a mediocre application."
If you get the chance, I recommend checking out Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. The dude was a psychologist, but he won the Nobel Prize in economics for all of his experiments that directly contradicted the then-prevailing idea that people usually make rational economic choices. He talks about this particular bias and other ones that suggest that our conscious thoughts are often controlled by unconscious biases.
do a post bac for the face to get 10/10MCAT 35, GPA: 3.8, Face: 8.7/10
What are my chances?
lol jk
I feel that the more aware you are of the Halo effect, the less susceptible you are to it. But that could just me thinking I'm all clever or whatever.
That being said, I joked that one of my IIs might be given to me cause I was cute (not really. I'm not cute, I'm old) since I was legitimately surprised I got one.
I think I also remember a study actually that being attractive works to the advantage of only guys and works against girls? Apparently attractive girls are seen as "less serious" -__-
That being said, I joked that one of my IIs might be given to me cause I was cute (not really. I'm not cute, I'm old) since I was legitimately surprised I got one.
I think I also remember a study actually that being attractive works to the advantage of only guys and works against girls? Apparently attractive girls are seen as "less serious" -__-
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does this mean that ugly people can get URM status?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 1K