Is re-applying bad???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scottyhoop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wrestling with the idea of applying this cycle even tho I don't have a lot of upper level "recommended courses". My GPA is good and I'm doing DAT's this summer. My question is, if I don't get in this cycle and re-apply after I get some of the uppers under my belt will dschools look at my rejection the previous year as a negative? Assuming my grades in the uppers were good of course. Bottom line...is there any reason not to apply this year knowing my chances are slim, but possible? I know I'll have a much better chance next year, but what do I have to lose besides the $$$? Thanks!
Scott

Members don't see this ad.

not at all...if you need to reapply, schools will like that you took more courses and your persistence will only give you an advantage. so who knows, you can get in this year, and not even have to worry about those upper division courses.

btw, i really don't think schools care that much in particular to upper div courses

I don't see how re-applying can hurt you.

If you got rejected for reasons X,Y,Z, then you worked on them and showed improvements and you re-apply.... they'll see that your dedicated and you simply don't take "no" for an answer. They'll like you even more because you showed them a no-give up mentality

Members don't see this ad :)
the real problem you might face is you will be applyin after you take the DAT in summer and you want to submit your app asap so you might want to bump up your DAT date to have the best chance

Well, here's the thing..

If you reapply, DON'T expect to get in the following year. Expect to get in NEXT year. The reason is that they like to see a DRAMATIC improvement if you didn't get in the 1st time. That means taking 1 FULL year of courses and activities.... Then applying for the NEXT cycle -- get what I mean?

can't i apply as soon as the cycle opens then add the DAT on this summer? I'm not sure how all that works, so any help would be great!
Scott

yes, apply as soon as possible, but know that you won't get an interview until your DAT scores are submitted to the schools and your application is complete

If you want to apply this cycle I would just go for it. I applied this summer (after 2 years of undergrad) and got interviews at all the schools I applied to. I didn't have many upper level bio courses yet, but they were included in my application under future classes. I would recommend taking the DAT as soon as you can though. I took mine in early August and that was much later than I would have liked. I don't think there is any way that applying early will hurt your chances of getting in the next cycle. The experience can only help you.

can't i apply as soon as the cycle opens then add the DAT on this summer? I'm not sure how all that works, so any help would be great!
Scott

Yes apply as soon as the cycle opens, and then take your DAT - preferably no later than Aug.
I agree with previous posters who said that you should add the upper level courses in your planned courseload and take them next year when you are applying. Good luck!

If you reapply, apply to the same schools again.

AGreed. AADSAS will take your money. If you are thinking about applying for admission 2008 then it would definitely be worth it to send in the transcripts and fill out the application up to the point of submission, possibly even asking for the LORs to be mailed in, as soon as AADSAS starts money grabbing in mid-May. Then take the DAT no later than mid-June and you'll still be in a position to know what your odds are and decide whether or not to pay for the AADSAS submission fee for the 2008 cycle. If $$ is no object, submit AADSAS, then take the DAT at your leisure-but as early as possible. DAT takes 6-8 weeks to mail after the test date. AADSAS takes a stated 8 weeks after you give them your money to mail the app.

AGreed. AADSAS will take your money. If you are thinking about applying for admission 2008 then it would definitely be worth it to send in the transcripts and fill out the application up to the point of submission, possibly even asking for the LORs to be mailed in, as soon as AADSAS starts money grabbing in mid-May. Then take the DAT no later than mid-June and you'll still be in a position to know what your odds are and decide whether or not to pay for the AADSAS submission fee for the 2008 cycle. If $$ is no object, submit AADSAS, then take the DAT at your leisure-but as early as possible. DAT takes 6-8 weeks to mail after the test date. AADSAS takes a stated 8 weeks after you give them your money to mail the app.

DAT definitely doesn't take 6-8 weeks to get to schools. Most schools let you fax it to them, and the ones which don't usually download them every few days. As for the mailing, it gets to schools about 1 week or 2 after your test date - at least it did for me. (I had an official copy sent to my house so I would know for sure).