is research necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deltaG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is research absolutely necessary to have under your belt when you apply to dental school? I have only been a small part of a research group once but thats about it. Personally I like working with people so I have about ~800 health related volunteer work.

What do you guys think? If its necessary, I guess I'm going to have to find some research positions this year before I apply! :)

Members don't see this ad.

it's not required, but a positive if you do have. if you have a lot of health related volunteer work, then don't worry about it. just do well on the dats.
i think the big names in dental school do like research a lot though. so depends on where u want to apply.

Is research absolutely necessary to have under your belt when you apply to dental school? I have only been a small part of a research group once but thats about it. Personally I like working with people so I have about ~800 health related volunteer work.

What do you guys think? If its necessary, I guess I'm going to have to find some research positions this year before I apply! :)

for most schools, answer is no

It totally depends on what school you are aiming for. Some schools like Harvard and Columbia like to see research experience because most of their dental students do some sort of research project, whereas most in-state schools might not care as much. It's still one good experience to try out (which you've already done, so you're all set)