Is school prestige important in MPH? If one is considering MD primarily?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libraryismyhome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a premed who is thinking about doing MPH during my gap years and realized that MPH programs have rankings too. Is MPH ranking extremely important over the price?

I realized that U washington costs about 20k while my home state UF and USF would cost like 6k and 8k.

Members don't see this ad.

They only have 40 something CEPH accredited programs so the accredited/non accredited thing is far more important. Among the accredited programs they have a fairly standardized curriculum so with some minor exceptions most of the classes you take will be the same anywhere for your MPH or at least offered anywhere. It also likely depends though on your future career plans I imagine the CDC or NIH would put far more emphasis on rankings but probably not a lot. For teaching it doesn't seem to matter based on my own professors CV's at a top school in fact many schools hire their own PhD's. Their post-docs and publications seem far more important to their success. In non-profits I actually know many health educators who didn't even attend a CEPH school because the pay is dismal and as the saying goes beggars can't be choosers.