Is "self-promoting" a bad eval?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FroYoOreo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently got on my surg clerkship eval "student is self-promoting".

It didn't sound right to me and to be honest can be perceived as a bit negative. I am not sure what my preceptor was trying to say. Does self-promoting mean that I am constantly in everyone's face and attention-seeking? Or does it mean that I own my education and just try to get the most out of it. Anyway, I have been self-doubting and overthinking ever since I got that surg eval back and it has affected my mental health. Especially since I am trying to go into surgery and will need a LOR from that evaluator later this year. Will this be a dead end for my surgery residency application?

Members don't see this ad.

Tough call here. My inclination would be to take it as a negative, but I think it's a gray area.

More importantly, how did the rest of the eval sound? If that was only 1 line in a long eval, then no big deal. If the eval is short, really short, then more of a negative. How is your relationship with the attending? If close, then could ask to meet and express your feelings, perhaps get eval edited. If not close, then would not bring up. One eval is never a dead end, but it should make you question if a LOR from this evaluator is the best call. Need to weigh your options with potentially grabbing another evaluator instead.

Reactions: 2 users
This definition is consistent with my impression of the term:
Self-promotion refers to the practice of purposefully trying to present oneself as highly competent to other people. When people self-promote, their primary motivation is to be perceived by others as capable, intelligent, or talented (even at the expense of being liked).

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This definition is consistent with my impression of the term:
Self-promotion refers to the practice of purposefully trying to present oneself as highly competent to other people. When people self-promote, their primary motivation is to be perceived by others as capable, intelligent, or talented (even at the expense of being liked).

+1

It basically means you come off as trying too hard to look good instead of just doing your job

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
If I were to bet (without knowing the circumstances), I'd hazard an assumption that you tried to show off one or two times. In surgery especially, you're respected by how thorough/hard you work. As a student, you're not really working that hard relative to your residents. If you can recall a time where you answered questions before others, etc. that's likely where that attending got that from.

In terms of what I'd do differently, I wouldn't take it to heart but this is an amazing opportunity for self growth. If you know an answer, practice keeping it to yourself (usually in this instances, you benefit as you look doubly good if you stay silent until called upon). Similarly, if you're asked to do something, practice just doing it and don't think about how it will serve you. At this point, any experience is good experience.

Reactions: 1 users
If I were to bet (without knowing the circumstances), I'd hazard an assumption that you tried to show off one or two times. In surgery especially, you're respected by how thorough/hard you work. As a student, you're not really working that hard relative to your residents. If you can recall a time where you answered questions before others, etc. that's likely where that attending got that from.

In terms of what I'd do differently, I wouldn't take it to heart but this is an amazing opportunity for self growth. If you know an answer, practice keeping it to yourself (usually in this instances, you benefit as you look doubly good if you stay silent until called upon). Similarly, if you're asked to do something, practice just doing it and don't think about how it will serve you. At this point, any experience is good experience.
Thanks for the response! It is really hard not to take it to heart. I also had the same thought that it meant that I tried too hard...I was trying to present my patient during rounding and I might have overdone it. I am doing a sub-I with the same group in a couple of months and hope to redeem myself. Keeping answers to myself is definitely a good advice. I am wondering if you have any other words of wisdom for me to walk the fine line between being a gunner and showing my interest in the specialty. Thanks!

Thanks for the response! It is really hard not to take it to heart. I also had the same thought that it meant that I tried too hard...I was trying to present my patient during rounding and I might have overdone it. I am doing a sub-I with the same group in a couple of months and hope to redeem myself. Keeping answers to myself is definitely a good advice. I am wondering if you have any other words of wisdom for me to walk the fine line between being a gunner and showing my interest in the specialty. Thanks!
Everyone's looking to shine. This doesn't make you a bad person.

1.) Don't worry about "redeeming" yourself. You may or may not have made that impression, but no one cares or is looking for you to improve.
2.) Continue trying hard, i.e., gunning, etc.. Just pay attention to who questions are being asked and don't answer others questions. As an additional point, try not to be the first one to answer questions unless the questions are directed to the medical students as a whole.
3.) This sort of issue comes from a lack of situational awareness. Pay attention to who is responsible for what and just do your job, well.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It means you're a "pick-me".

Reactions: 1 user
Successful people always have two things on their lips: 1) Silence. 2) A smile. Humility is a good virtue to have.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users