Is September MCAT too late for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreamstoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assuming the person has 3.4-3.5 cGPA, sGPA. Decent ECs. Solid letters and AACOMAS submitted by late September?

Or a late August date?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends on your stats. I applied in late October last year and was fine.

I wouldn't expect a 25 and 3.0 to get much love that late though.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a friend who was complete in November with 3.46sGPA and got accepted to most of the schools he applied to.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro I would appreciate your opinion about this.

Thank you!

You'll be fine even by end of November. The DO cycle is longer.

Last year, I applied pretty late, around early-mid January with secondaries being sent out late January. I'm sure it looked like I was scrambling post MD-interview season, which I was. I didn't hear back from any schools post-secondaries (PCOM, UNECOM, CUSOM, NYIT-COM, MSUCOM) except for one interview (Rowan, waitlisted). Given these results, do you think my lack of response/success is more due to the timing of my application or because I was not competitive or both/other? Because I did not enter my re-takes correctly my stats last cycle were 2.99 sGPA/35 MCAT (if I recall correctly) and this year, after putting in my transcripts/repeats correctly, I should have a 3.5 sGPA.

As always, I'm ever grateful for your wisdom.

Your GPA at the time was more lethal than the timing, but the timing was still poor.

You should be better off this time around.

Note: we do see MD-school rejectees scrambling by early spring, and they don't fare as well, despite having higher stats. We get more picky by that time, and this pool of people tend to be glaringly obvious that they don't a s**t about Osteopathy. Some of them are also glaringly clueless. The attitude of "hey, I'm not getting into Harvard! I'd better try DO schools now!" fairly drips off of them.

Last year, I applied pretty late, around early-mid January with secondaries being sent out late January. I'm sure it looked like I was scrambling post MD-interview season, which I was. I didn't hear back from any schools post-secondaries (PCOM, UNECOM, CUSOM, NYIT-COM, MSUCOM) except for one interview (Rowan, waitlisted). Given these results, do you think my lack of response/success is more due to the timing of my application or because I was not competitive or both/other? Because I did not enter my re-takes correctly my stats last cycle were 2.99 sGPA/35 MCAT (if I recall correctly) and this year, after putting in my transcripts/repeats correctly, I should have a 3.5 sGPA.

As always, I'm ever grateful for your wisdom.

This is a question for anyone in this cycle. How long has it taken to get your MCAT score "official." Assuming you are getting your score back mid October.

You'll be fine even by end of November. The DO cycle is longer.

Idk, the cycle is undoubtedly longer, but with the more established schools being late with your application means having to fight for a reduced amount of seats since most schools. I mean, KCU for what it's worth finished interviewing in Jan last cycle.

If your MCAT score is below the 43rd percentile (less than 24 on the old MCAT and 498), it is too late. With a low score, it means a longer wait for interviews (anywhere from 1-4 months). You'd be better off retaking and applying next cycle.

If your score is in the 24-25 range, I cannot say. However, you may struggle more than you should versus someone with a 27. I will recommend applying next year if possible, but you will most likely be okay if you apply broadly.

I think a 26 is fine for September.

I take mine Sept. 12th. The school I am applying to told me not to worry and that it would not hurt my chances.

Update:
I'm taking September 12th too. Probably going to be submitting AACOMAS primary on the 13th. Nearly done with it but still working on the personal statement.

I'm in the same boat too. AACOMAS messed up my transcript processing and it should be fixed today or tomorrow.:whistle:

Update:
I'm taking September 12th too. Probably going to be submitting AACOMAS primary on the 13th. Nearly done with it but still working on the personal statement.

My advice is this: if you're not sure of your MCAT score, or you're really not confident, then I would wait until you get your MCAT before you submit that application. You really only want to apply in just one cycle.

What is the approximate timeline for being complete at schools if your primary is sent sometime this week? My transcript issue should be fixed this week, LOR are all in, and I am prewriting all my secondaries.

What is the approximate timeline for being complete at schools if your primary is sent sometime this week? My transcript issue should be fixed this week, LOR are all in, and I am prewriting all my secondaries.

Depends on the school. Some of them give you secondaries right away, and others may take weeks.

So why is applying in September not considered "late"?

Because it looks like DO cycle lasts longer than MD cycle. Personally, I find applying after September to be pretty late, because you have to wait for your application to be verified and then secondaries to be available. I applied in mid-July and some of my interviews, while offered in August, didn't have interview slots until October/November.

Reactions: 1 users
My advice is this: if you're not sure of your MCAT score, or you're really not confident, then I would wait until you get your MCAT before you submit that application. You really only want to apply in just one cycle.

Theres a way to get the best of both worlds. Submit the app now to your last ranked school(the one you least want to go to). That way you can start the verification process, and if you bomb the MCAT you are only a re-applicant at one school that you have ranked low on your list.

Theres a way to get the best of both worlds. Submit the app now to your last ranked school(the one you least want to go to). That way you can start the verification process, and if you bomb the MCAT you are only a re-applicant at one school that you have ranked low on your list.

Some medical schools on secondaries ask if you have ever applied last cycle to any medical school so that method won't work for those schools either.