Is shadowing experience necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LibraLin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I walked in about 10 dentistries today asking about shadowing, they all reject me (of course I wouldn't want somebody watching me during work). I will try to find more dentistries tomorrow. My question is what if I can't get a shadowing experience? Does it mean it's going to hard for me to get in a dental school? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Shadowing is definatly necessary. It is better if you could even get some hands on experience. You can spend alot of time walking in and out of dental offices but what I do is call and ask if the doctor has times available for me to shadow. Some say no but you can get through alot more dentists over the phone. Keep trying you will find some.

Ah.... Yeah. How else would you know that this is for you besides volunteering. Most (if not all) schools require a certain amount of dental shadowing hours. Just keep trying to find a dentist that wouldn't mind. You could try your own dentist...
Also this should have been posted in the pre-dental forum (might get more responses).

Members don't see this ad :)
try the dental department of a nearby hospital
Goodluck

Many schools actually have minimums for time shadowing, for example, Loma Linda requires 25 hours shadowing a general dentist.

Also, don't just walk in and ask, call them, that way they can actually think it over, and they don't feel pressured to make a decision on the spot. I've found that just about every dentist I've ever gone to has been willing to let someone shadow, you just have to ask nicely and when they're not busy.

What if you have actually worked as a dental assistant? I have no certificates or x-ray license but did get a job as a dental assistant for a few months, would that be similar to volunteer hours/shadowing? I'm sure it would count, I just want to make sure its not some strict thing where you HAVE to volunteer.

I volunteered as a dental assistant for like 6 months, so I was able to put that under both dental experience and volunteer, but you'll be able to put it under both dental experience and work experience.

In summary, yes, that counts as shadowing, but not volunteering.

I walked in about 10 dentistries today asking about shadowing, they all reject me (of course I wouldn't want somebody watching me during work). I will try to find more dentistries tomorrow. My question is what if I can't get a shadowing experience? Does it mean it's going to hard for me to get in a dental school? Thanks

You could do the unthinkable-make an appointment with a dentist at your local dental office for a routine exam, prophy, x-rays.

What kind of dentist wouldn't allow you to come in and shadow? That's just cold. At least for a few patients or on a slower day? Maybe even shadow an assistant?

Seriously? If you get into dental school then someone was looking out for you... why not do the same for others? Some dentists kill me:mad:

sorry about the double post... SDN was having problems

Last edited:
What kind of dentist wouldn't allow you to come in and shadow? That's just cold. At least for a few patients or on a slower day? Maybe even shadow an assistant?

Seriously? If you get into dental school then someone was looking out for you... why not do the same for others? Some dentists kill me:mad:

Many private dentists do not want pople shadowing them because it makes their patints uncomfortable. They want their privacy with their dentist. Unhappy patients means less patients which means less money.

However shadowing or at least volunteering at a dentists office is necessary for Dental School as I was asked by every single interview about my exposure to dentistry.

Not all dentists have the personality of Mother Theresa. On the other hand, walking into a dental office with a sense of entitlement is not likely to give better results. Since we are not privy to whole scene this may be a case of a rush to judgment. Would it not be nice to have a personal dentist that you visit every 6 months?

Call up a local dentist association if there is one and ask if they can put you in touch with a dentist who might be willing.

just drop the bomb on your personal dent at your next visit. if you don't have one coming up soon, make an appointment to meet with them (or another dent in the area) one-on-one for 15 min and discuss your options. i'm sure something will work out :)