Is she incorrect?

neur0goddess

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So a few months ago I met with the principal of a new high school I'm thinking of transferring to. She was looking at the classes I've already taken and was confused as to why I didn't take a science class freshmen year (I had a really heavy course load and didn't want to overwhelm myself). Anyway, I mentioned that I wanted to be a pre med in college and she said it would be difficult for me even though by the time I finish high school I will have taken biology, chemistry, and physics. She basically said "the road to becoming a doctor will be tough for you" just because I will take 3 years of science in high school. My first thought was that she was a ******* who clearly doesn't know that med school adcoms don't give a **** what you did in HS. But now that I think about it, could she be correct? or am i freaking out over nothing? I didn't even want to go into medicine when I was an 8th grader picking out my classes for next year, like how does she expect me to have my future 100% planned out as a 13 year old?

Members don't see this ad.

just to clarify,
both my old and new school require 3 years of science classes as do UC schools (I'm in Cali) so if i would have taken biology as a freshmen i could have taken chem as a soph then physics as a junior, then senior year I could've had my pick at APES, AP Chem or a slew of AP Phys classes, which I probably wouldn't have taken anyways

Members don't see this ad :)
Just focus on getting your UC a-g reqs. done, maintaining a high GPA, joining clubs/volunteering/getting work experience, and having fun. Your principal is misinformed.

Reactions: 1 users
She is misinformed.

My medical education was delayed for years because I listened to my small town high school guidance counselor who also gave me bad advice.

What you've been told above by other users is correct. Get into a good university and do well in your courses; no one in medical school cares about your high school curricula.

Of course every school is different, but you will be fine. Like you stated, your school requires 3 science credits. Ex. My school is different, I need four sciences. It all depends on your school. I don't know where she got that information from.

Don't listen to her. Doing well in college depends on your motivation/drive as opposed to additional science course in highschool.

Reactions: 1 user
Where she may have been coming from is that usually top students take 4 years of science and at least one of those is an AP science. However, there is nothing preventing you from getting into a university and studying there. Other students may have taken AP Biology so may have seen much of the information before,...but if you work hard you can do it.

I remember my counselor told me not to take chem due to my academic record and that I wouldn't be able to make it...
I laughed at her the following year.

Nah bae, don't listen to her, or even your guidance counselors to a certain extent.
What you find on here is actually valuable information as a lot of it is coming from actual physicians and not people who've bachelors in psychology.