1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Is she incorrect?

Discussion in 'hSDN' started by neur0goddess, Sep 6, 2014.

1. neur0goddess

Hey guys,

So a few months ago I met with the principal of a new high school I'm thinking of transferring to. She was looking at the classes I've already taken and was confused as to why I didn't take a science class freshmen year (I had a really heavy course load and didn't want to overwhelm myself). Anyway, I mentioned that I wanted to be a pre med in college and she said it would be difficult for me even though by the time I finish high school I will have taken biology, chemistry, and physics. She basically said "the road to becoming a doctor will be tough for you" just because I will take 3 years of science in high school. My first thought was that she was a ******* who clearly doesn't know that med school adcoms don't give a **** what you did in HS. But now that I think about it, could she be correct? or am i freaking out over nothing? I didn't even want to go into medicine when I was an 8th grader picking out my classes for next year, like how does she expect me to have my future 100% planned out as a 13 year old?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. neur0goddess

just to clarify,
    both my old and new school require 3 years of science classes as do UC schools (I'm in Cali) so if i would have taken biology as a freshmen i could have taken chem as a soph then physics as a junior, then senior year I could've had my pick at APES, AP Chem or a slew of AP Phys classes, which I probably wouldn't have taken anyways

4. IlDestriero

IlDestriero Ether Man
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    She doesn't know what she's talking about. Get into a good university and study whatever you want.

#3 IlDestriero, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  5. Developer

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just focus on getting your UC a-g reqs. done, maintaining a high GPA, joining clubs/volunteering/getting work experience, and having fun. Your principal is misinformed.

LA1004 and Winged Scapula like this.
  6. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    She is misinformed.

My medical education was delayed for years because I listened to my small town high school guidance counselor who also gave me bad advice.

What you've been told above by other users is correct. Get into a good university and do well in your courses; no one in medical school cares about your high school curricula.

7. neur0goddess

thank you all!

Winged Scapula likes this.
  8. superpom_7

superpom_7 Casually waiting for January 29th..

Pre-Veterinary
    Of course every school is different, but you will be fine. Like you stated, your school requires 3 science credits. Ex. My school is different, I need four sciences. It all depends on your school. I don't know where she got that information from.

9. styphon

styphon Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Don't listen to her. Doing well in college depends on your motivation/drive as opposed to additional science course in highschool.

Winged Scapula likes this.
  10. bopper

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Where she may have been coming from is that usually top students take 4 years of science and at least one of those is an AP science. However, there is nothing preventing you from getting into a university and studying there. Other students may have taken AP Biology so may have seen much of the information before,...but if you work hard you can do it.

11. JustintheDoctor

JustintheDoctor High functioning FeelsOpath
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I remember my counselor told me not to take chem due to my academic record and that I wouldn't be able to make it...
    I laughed at her the following year.

12. neur0goddess

thank you everyone!

13. Yazo

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Nah bae, don't listen to her, or even your guidance counselors to a certain extent.
    What you find on here is actually valuable information as a lot of it is coming from actual physicians and not people who've bachelors in psychology.