is slp undergrad acceptable prep for aud?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jvk1214

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I've been lurking around the forums for a few months and I thought I should finally ask a question I'm a bit confused about now that it's become a bit more pertinent in my life.

I'm currently a sophomore linguistics major at a reputable private liberal arts institution who is considering transferring to a state school next semester in favor of going the speech-language pathology/audiology route due to some personal experiences with these professionals and patients I know. The school I am considering transferring to offers both the B.S. and M.S. in speech-language pathology, and has an on-campus clinic, but does not have another department such as communication sciences and disorders. Since I don't know which route I'd rather go at the moment, though I'm pretty sure the "field" in general is right for me, I am wondering if a B.S. program in SLP is still suited toward preparation for an Au.D program. Would there be drawbacks to being an SLP major and then choosing to pursue my Au.D? If anyone has experience in this situation, your feedback would be greatly appreciated! I just want to keep all my future options open and be smart about my choices.

I'm so sorry if this type of question has been asked before!

Thank you in advance,
Jackie

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Jackie,

If you want to get an undergraduate degree in the closest field possible, your options would be a B.S. in either Communication Sciences and Disorders, or Speech Language Pathology & Audiology. You can't study audiology as an undergrad. I'm currently working towards my degree in SLP/Audiology and I plan on applying for AuD programs. AuD programs don't really have prereqs, but they expect for you to take certain comms. science classes, which are almost always included in an SLP degree program.

Hope this helps!

Hi Jackie, and welcome to the forum! I'm sure it's a bit different for every program, but there was an SLP undergrad who changed her mind during the summer and decided to attend the AuD program. She did have to take a couple prerequisite courses in the summer, but it wasn't overbearing. My graduate program even allows some prerequisites to be taken alongside the graduate coursework if there aren't too many. Check with the programs you're interested in to see what their policies are, and if you want to be extra safe, any time you have a choice in your classes, try to get as well-rounded of a schedule as possible!