Is sophomore year supposed to be this hard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bad Alias

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background information: I have a 3.71 GPA from freshman year (Calculus and I do not get along), so I should feel relatively okay, but this third semester is not quite going the way I hoped. Organic Chemistry is really draining me mentally and emotionally, especially the lab. I just have this overwhelming feeling that I'm failing even though I'm on track to get a few A's at least, a few B's, and hopefully only one or two C's. I feel like it's a crime to get a C though, and I feel like all the pre-med forums and such that I've visited think you have to be a really lazy person to get a C. Is there any chance that classes at Purdue are simply hard? Is it okay if I end up with a 3.1 for this semester? I'm just learning how to study and my dad passed away in April, so I sort of feel like I have pretty solid "excuses" for this semester being a little worse. I'm just worried if I get a 3.0 this semester I'll get into a rut and start getting more B's and C's.

Also what is so wrong about a 3.0 GPA? This isn't highschool. I mean it would be a disappointment to my older sisters who got 3.8's but I have so many engineering friends with 2.5's and such. (Well this is purdue.) Really though, shouldn't it be an ACCOMPLISHMENT to graduate college with a B average? If it was a bell curve that would be a standard deviation above everyone else in your class.

I'm just wondering if school and studying and fear of failing is this daunting for me in my second year of college if I should take a less stressful route and go for nursing instead. I really don't think I want to be a chemist and I don't really want to teach either. Maybe as time goes on, I will be less stressed. I mean I don't feel like I really had enough time to mourn for dad this summer so I think that could have something to do with all of my stress as well.

Anyway, opinions and empathy from fellow sophomores would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

sorry about your father. you'll be fine.

I'm also a sophomore taking ochem but am at a community college. I also have a 3.71 which is pretty coincidental. I'm sure that the difficulty of our chemistry classes is different, but the students in my class average about a C on tests and quizzes. I'm usually around a low A/A-. You just gotta fight for every point you can get. Research labs before hand so you know exactly what to do when the time comes.

I definitely know the feeling though. Summer quarter was my last quarter of inorganic and it was packed into 7 weeks instead of the normal 10. The professor was a TOUGH grader. At the end of the quarter there was one A-, 2 B's (me and and a friend) and the rest were C's, D's etc. I think half the class probably failed. I have never worked so hard at a class in my life and only got a B. I had this sick feeling a lot of the time just because I was worried about making a passing grade to move onto organic. You can make a good grade if you really want. Try not to worry too much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about your father. Most premed requirements are designed to be challenging and unforgiving curve-wise to weed out those who aren't "smart" enough to make it through, especially at institutions that are known for producing good medical students. Think of it as a rite of passage and keep working hard, 1C will be okay. I made a C in freshman bio but got past it and haven't looked back since. Don't think what-ifs, just try your best. Good luck!

I am taking Orgo too this year and yes, it's a hard ....ing class. It weeds out 50% of the premeds in your class -- it's sad sight to see. You need to stop looking at the final grade, look at your current grade and go from there.

I started out with a C after first quiz, and now I have an A- as of right now. How did I do this? I bought this book. I read the reviews and saw that everyone was getting B's/A's after reading this. Well, to tell you the truth, it's no joke. This book isn't a substitute text, you still need to do a light skim with your textbook and occasionally do practice problems from there though. http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-Second-Language-Translating/dp/0470129298/

The rest of your grades, well, figure out what you're doing wrong. Research everything. Learn everything. Buy concept books (aka; the "here's-what-you-actually-need-to-know-about-this-course-without-sounding-like-an-english-major" books) for your courses. And GL.

You're right about how this isn't high school and that a 3.0 would be an accomplishment; most people in the US don't even have college degrees...

However, med schools like to see their students more or less master their undergrad material so that they know their students will be able to handle med school.

Good luck!

sorry about your father.

Sophomore year of college was my hardest out of the 4 years mainly due to taking several science classes at once... orgo, physics, psych, microbio, and 2 others i dont remember. I ended up with a B+/A- for my 2 semseters of Orgo. It's definitely not a easy class. The class is curved up to a B- for median grade b/c otherwise over half the class would be getting Fs. My suggestion is don't let that bring you down and don't forget about the other classes. They are just as important. B/c i ended up doing well in the other classes i ended the semester with a 3.9x

Purdue is a very good school, and sophomore year is hard, but you won't be given much slack for that or any of the issues you're going through, I'm sad to say. But it will get better. Keep your head up and keep working hard.

For the C myth: I received a C+ in orgo1 and a B in orgo two and I have received an MD acceptance already this cycle. Try to show an upward trend/maintain a good sGPA (mine was only a 3.4something tho) and you will be just fine. Its very easy to get stressed/bogged down/ feel like you want to quit, especially on SDN. But then again, thats the point of Orgo (and all the other premed weed out classes) to get a good 3/4 of those who start out as pre-med to drop well before taking the MCAT/going through the frustrations of applying. If you sincerely can get through this period, it is completely possible to get in even with a few lower grades, dont let that get you down. Half the battle of being a premed is SHEER FORCE OF WILL. I have faith that if you really really want this, you will be able to overcome orgo and go on to have a very bright future. Just keep swimming :)

My condolences about your dad :(

Don't give up pre-med if becoming a doctor is something you really want to do. A 3.7 is a really good gpa so far, and you're right - it IS an accomplishment to get a 3.0 considering that most curves usually set the average to a C. A 3.0 this semester is pretty good and understandable considering everything you've been going through. If you browse some of the threads here, you'll see a lot of posters who've gotten into med school no problem despite one or two Cs in the transcript. A C is not the end of the world, and it's definitely not worth quitting pre-med for.

Keep pushing on! Don't get discouraged by what seems like an academic set-back. Your grades aren't going to be perfect, but that's not going to kill your chances for med school at all. You can always bounce back, and it's still early enough in undergrad.

I'm a sophomore.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your father.

In terms of the issues that you are having academically this year, I completely understand and went through a similar process. I ended my freshman year with something around a 3.80 gpa. During my 1st semester sophomore year, I had a 3.1 gpa for the semester. I got a B- in OChem and a B in MCB. In terms of the premed track, I think sophomore year is definitely the most difficult. Don't think its over though if you don't get straight A's. If you truly think you want to go into medicine, do not give up. I did not like most of my classes sophomore year (I absolutely HATED organic chemistry lab), but once you get to junior/senior year and you get to take more upper division electives, classes get a lot more interesting.

Thank you for all of the kind responses and good advice. I will do my best to follow it. I'm glad there are people here willing to support each other. :)

I am a little more optimistic today.

Good luck to everyone else going through similar things by the way. I just saw a thread earlier about another organic chemistry lab horror story. Well at least if I make it through this year with a decent GPA I'll be encouraged to get through the rest.