Is starting pre-med bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FractalLotus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so my first semester of college I took classes for the nursing major, then second semester I started nursing classes but withdrew in Feb because I decided I didn't want to be a nurse. Then first semester of sophomore year I switched my major to business and did all business related classes. After finishing that semester I'm deciding to peruse pre-med classes along with a major in psych. Will this be viewed negatively by admissions committees?

Members don't see this ad.

No. it's all part of your story and most of us have had significant changes in interests as time goes on. Just make sure that it's what you actually want to be doing because you will need to really invest in it (you've got some ground to make up if you start late).

You just need to know that it isn't a casual endeavour if you choose to go for it, but explore! It really can be a fun road once you get moving

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
So you're what a second semester sophomore now? I don't think it's particularly bad that you bounced around and tried different fields (even if it was as brief as it was). If you nail your premed classes and demonstrate that you have made an educated decision that being a physician is right for you (through volunteering, shadowing, etc) then I don't think it will hold you back.

I don't see how it could matter, but at this point you will be taking a gap year.(which isn't a bad thing)

Okay so my first semester of college I took classes for the nursing major, then second semester I started nursing classes but withdrew in Feb because I decided I didn't want to be a nurse. Then first semester of sophomore year I switched my major to business and did all business related classes. After finishing that semester I'm deciding to peruse pre-med classes along with a major in psych. Will this be viewed negatively by admissions committees?

assuming your grades are okay so far (ideally >3.7 GPA) since that's critical regardless of what major you pursue, i'd explore various options still to decide what you want to do.

it looks like you are still searching for a better alternative career option besides medicine? i agree psych isn't all that great. i'd personally stick with the business major and take the prerequisites.

Reactions: 1 user