is summer considered year before or after?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastfingers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I took a class in the summer before freshman year, is that considered a class during freshman year or a class during high school. Likewise, if I took a summer class after sophomore year, would I consider that class as I took it during my junior year?

Members don't see this ad.

If I took a class in the summer before freshman year, is that considered a class during freshman year or a class during high school. Likewise, if I took a summer class after sophomore year, would I consider that class as I took it during my junior year?

At my school at least, a course taken the summer after sophomore year would be considered a sophomore class since the summer is an "extention" of sophomore year. This applies each academic year. I'm not sure if that is the case at your college/university.

I would think a course taken the summer after high school would be factored into your freshmen year since you graduated from high school and, are, thus done with that coursework. I'm not sure though....

At my school at least, a course taken the summer after sophomore year would be considered a sophomore class since the summer is an "extention" of sophomore year. This applies each academic year. I'm not sure if that is the case at your college/university.

I would think a course taken the summer after high school would be factored into your freshmen year since you graduated from high school and, are, thus done with that coursework. I'm not sure though....

I agree with this.

If it was a college class before your freshman year, I would put it under freshman year (however, I might list it in the fall rather than the summer, because the summer of your freshman year implies after your freshman year). A class taken during the summer after your sophomore year would be your sophomore year.