Is taking a MLOA considered a red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

intheworkings

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering how PDs look at MLOA and if the application gets tossed for it or not? TIA.

Members don't see this ad.

Wondering how PDs look at MLOA and if the application gets tossed for it or not? TIA.
I took a LOA for family reasons. I talked to a lot of people in admin as well a few residency directors whom I know wouldn't lie to me before making my decision to take the LOA. The general consensus was that the LOA, by itself, shouldn't be any issue come residency time; I can't imagine a MLOA would be viewed any differently, barring no other red flags.

Reactions: 1 users
Assuming OP returned to full health, wouldn't tossing the app solely based on an MLOA be illegal? I feel like the program would potentially be opening itself up to a discrimination suit if it surfaced that the reason a person was rejected was solely because of medical reasons...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming OP returned to full health, wouldn't tossing the app solely based on an MLOA be illegal? I feel like the program would potentially be opening itself up to a discrimination suit if it surfaced that the reason a person was rejected was solely because of medical reasons...

good luck proving that one

Reactions: 4 users
Just think about it. You have an otherwise strong applicant that had to have surgery or something and was out for a month. Do you auto toss their application? Would anyone you know auto toss their application?

Really no. PDs aren't monsters. They understand that life happens.

Having spoken with quite a few PDs about this issue, all a MLOA means is that the rest of your application gets scrutinised more carefully. That's it. Do well on Step 1, do well on clinicals, and there probably isn't that much to worry about. That's certainly true for one-off reasons, like you were in a car accident or something. The standard probably does change for chronic diseases, particularly mental illness. That's a different issue and disclosure becomes a little tricky, depending on the rest of you application.

The practical point is this. If you really need a MLOA, take it. Why? Because you really need it. Not much else you can do. If you've already taken a MLOA, don't worry too much. Why? Because what's done is done. The die is cast either way. Just focus on staying well and doing the best you can moving forward. In the end, it probably won't hurt as much as you're imagining, though the particulars matter.

Last edited:
Just think about it. You have an otherwise strong applicant that had to have surgery or something and was out for a month. Do you auto toss their application? Would anyone you know auto toss their application?

I tend to use the "all other things being equal" standard. That is, take intheworkings minus the LOA and intheworkings with the LOA. Which looks better? Now insert some noise in to the equation and substitute another person for intheworkings minus the LOA. It is something that is very easy to autocut on.

A MLOA is better than failing and wishing you'd taken a MLOA.

Mental illness loa will absolutely ding you even if it shouldn't. Other types won't, especially if it is for a good reason that you can incorporate into your story. But nothing will ding you more than failing.

I tend to use the "all other things being equal" standard. That is, take intheworkings minus the LOA and intheworkings with the LOA. Which looks better? Now insert some noise in to the equation and substitute another person for intheworkings minus the LOA. It is something that is very easy to autocut on.

This type of thought process is what is really scaring me and keeping me up at night.

MLOA are not red flags, they are yellow flags. Red flags are step failures, DUIs, etc.

Not really, better taking time off to deal with an issue than let it fester.

In other words if the school grants you a leave its not going to hurt you.

Last edited:
IMO a medical leave of absence for psychiatric issues is a red flag. everyone can deny it but lets be honest.

either way, nothing can be done about the past. but for others who might be considering... i would strongly advice doing everything in your power before heading down this road

Thanks for the responses everyone. From what I could gather from my school admin / asking around it seems like each program and director has their own opinion and bias about these things. Couldn't really get a clear answer from school as it seems to be one factor out of many that they look at.