Is taking a year off before Medical School okay?

Started by SnYpaJY
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SnYpaJY

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm contemplating whether I should take a year off to do the following for a year before Med School

-become a TA at UCLA
-do research at UCLA
-study for the MCAT
- Tutor in the sciences
- Do volunteer work (local hospital or clinic)

Do you guys think its reasonable to do all of this in a year, while preparing for the MCAT. My initial goal is to study for the MCAT, and I think If I take an entire year off to just master the concepts in physics, Ochem, Gchem, and bio, I'll more likely score a higher grade.

Is it wrong to not even take the MCAT while in undergrad? Because I honestly don't think spending one summer would be as beneficial as an entire year for MCAT studying. Maybe I'm going overboard, but the other EC's wouldn't hurt either.

What do you think?
 
I'm contemplating whether I should take a year off to do the following for a year before Med School

-become a TA at UCLA
-do research at UCLA
-study for the MCAT
- Tutor in the sciences
- Do volunteer work (local hospital or clinic)

Do you guys think its reasonable to do all of this in a year, while preparing for the MCAT. My initial goal is to study for the MCAT, and I think If I take an entire year off to just master the concepts in physics, Ochem, Gchem, and bio, I'll more likely score a higher grade.

Is it wrong to not even take the MCAT while in undergrad? Because I honestly don't think spending one summer would be as beneficial as an entire year for MCAT studying. Maybe I'm going overboard, but the other EC's wouldn't hurt either.

What do you think?

Taking a year off is a great idea. It will probably be two years though if you are studying for the MCAT. Don't forget the application process will take you a year. Trying to make a little cash in your year off is a good idea too.
 
Couldn't I do the application process while taking my year off? I really wouldn't need or want to take two years off.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Taking a year off is a great idea. It will probably be two years though if you are studying for the MCAT. Don't forget the application process will take you a year. Trying to make a little cash in your year off is a good idea too.

Yeah this is correct. There's no way you can start studying for the mcat after you graduate and enter med school the next year. You have to apply a year before the time you want to start school. So if you want to only take one year off then you would have to take the mcat at the latest, april of your senior year and apply that summer. This is what I'm doing.
 
Keep in mind that applying takes a whole year: primary/secondarys in the summer, interviews in the fall/winter, many decisions in the spring, waitlist movement the next summer. So, if you were to take just one year off, you would need to have your MCAT finished by really June after your senior year at the latest, and then juggle interviews with whatever else your doing during your year 'off.' Otherwise, it'll be a two year deal, having to wait until the next cycle to apply. Still seems very doable, you'll just have to take your MCAT sooner, and you sure as hell don't need anywhere near a year to study for it.
 
i am currently taking two years off (in my second year off now). graduated in 07. i'm a late pre-med bloomer...

i studied for the mcat, and took it in april 08.

i am currently in the middle of secondaries, and hope to matriculate by aug-sept 09.

i've done other things in my time off as well, but i honestly believe taking time off is great. live life a little, understand what an 8-5 job is like, and i think you'll be a better person for it (and physician for that matter). that's just my personal opinion, and i believe it's working for me.

i was really frustrated that i had to take two years off between when i graduated and medical school, but honestly, it's just another year. so what, you graduate from medical school ONE year later. haha, that's how i reasoned myself through it...
 
Okay so I'm kind of confused on the two years off thing.

So lets say I graduate in the Spring of 2011.

So....

That Summer I begin studying for the MCAT or whatever I plan on doing (the rest of the things I mentioned), but when exactly is the best time to take the MCAT? January 2012? I want to be an early applicant, and have enough time set out just in case I need to take the MCAT a second time (hopefully not).

Can anyone make me a small time line on how it actually works? For instance

Spring 2011 - Graduate from Undergrad

Summer 2011- Jan 2012 ---> Study/volunteer/TA/Research

Jan 2012- Take MCAT

Feb 2012- Get MCAT score back/ Begin applying for Med School

etc..


Could you apply to med schools using AAMC without having your MCAT, or do you absolutely need the MCAT done by the time you apply. In a sense, I am confused out of my mind right now.
 
But on that timeline you would be applying for entry in the fall of 2013, hence two years off.

Let's edit your time line.

Spring 2011 - Graduate from Undergrad

Summer 2011- Jan 2012 ---> Study/volunteer/TA/Research

Jan 2012- Take MCAT

Feb 2012- Get MCAT score back/ Begin applying for Med School

Sum 2012- Submit AMCAS, secondaries

Sept 2012-Apr 2013- Interviews

June 2013- You should know where you're going by now.

Aug 2013- Start school
 
Let's edit your time line.

Spring 2011 - Graduate from Undergrad

Summer 2011- Jan 2012 ---> Study/volunteer/TA/Research

Jan 2012- Take MCAT

Feb 2012- Get MCAT score back/ Begin applying for Med School

Sum 2012- Submit AMCAS, secondaries

Sept 2012-Apr 2013- Interviews

June 2013- You should know where you're going by now.

Aug 2013- Start school

Yep, this is right. You need to take the MCAT the spring you graduate if you want to matriculate in 2012. ( one year off.)
 
I guess it's a matter of opinions, but I have been told by a few doctors/doctors in training that I have worked with this summer that taking a year or two off is recommended. If not for the sake of keeping your sanity before taking the plunge from one intensely rigorous education to the next, but that also med schools tend to like more experienced, mature applicants (assuming you were keeping busy in the year(s) off).
 
Med schools like more experienced, mature individuals, yes, but I have heard from many current med students that the students who struggle the most during the transition to med school tend to be those who have taken time off, simply because they are no longer used to being in any kind of study rhythm. Don't think it's too big a deal, and plenty of med students each year take no time off, so the extra experience isn't all that important either from the looks of it.
 
Thanks a lot, I definitely understand the process better now. But is it wise to take the MCAT in January? When is the best time to take the MCAT to be one of the earliest applicants of the year?

When is it the earlierest to submit your AMCAS? (By the way, does that HAVE to include your MCAT score?)

Also, I kind of made the time line off the bat (thanks for editing it disorder), does anyone have their own timeline on how to strategically spend two years doing what I stated in the first post? Lets say you start with

Spring 2011 - Graduate from Undergrad
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My Uncle's brother took a year off to study for the MCAT (he literally studied the ENTIRE YEAR...) and ended up scoring a (....I'm NOT making this up!) 44 on it. He missed only one question on the entire test and still thinks he was right on it to this day.

Needless to say the guy made an excellent doctor. He worked as an Orthopedic Surgeon at Mayo. He's retired now due to his health but I doubt he regrets taking his year off. 😉
 
My Uncle's brother took a year off to study for the MCAT (he literally studied the ENTIRE YEAR...) and ended up scoring a (....I'm NOT making this up!) 44 on it. He missed only one question on the entire test and still thinks he was right on it to this day.

Needless to say the guy made an excellent doctor. He worked as an Orthopedic Surgeon at Mayo. He's retired now due to his health but I doubt he regrets taking his year off. 😉

How did he know he only missed one question?
 
I'm taking two years off. It's nice to give undivided attention to studying for the MCAT, filling out applications, writing essays, seeking LOR, having a social life, and simply to have time for introspection about WTF you're about to do with the prime of your life and your parents retirement funds. Makes sense considering it's an irreversible 8 year $200,000+ commitment. The downside, however, is having to justify the time off to coworkers and friends who are unfamiliar with how med school works. Many will equate a year off with laziness or procrastination. In reality it shows maturity, long-term dedication and a realistic attitude toward a daunting application process. I've explained countless times to people how applying to med school is an intensive year-long journey unlike any other but they still assume it is similar to law school 🙄, which we all know is a complete joke by comparison.
 
I am taking a year off right now, as well, but this is not to say that it puts one at an advantage over those who matriculate directly from undergrad. If anything, it's just making the application process much more manageable. I took the MCAT the summer between junior and senior year (August), so my app would have been later if I chose to apply for 2008 entrance. It's a good idea for some, unnecessary for others, but get that timeline together. Graduating in 2011(June) and taking the MCAT that summer would make your app a little later in the cycle for 2012 fall matriculation (which would be a year off bt/w). Taking it in April or May of your senior year would allow you to take the year off and still have your app complete in reasonable time. You don't need your MCAT score back to fill out your AMCAS app, but you do need it before you can finalize and submit your primary. Hope there was helpful advice somewhere in here.
 
I guess it's a matter of opinions, but I have been told by a few doctors/doctors in training that I have worked with this summer that taking a year or two off is recommended. If not for the sake of keeping your sanity before taking the plunge from one intensely rigorous education to the next, but that also med schools tend to like more experienced, mature applicants (assuming you were keeping busy in the year(s) off).

It's a matter of opinions, but the only people who think you need to get started right away are premeds. Talk to any doctor, and they will tell you taking a year off is a great idea. I've never met one who didn't think it was a wise decision.

That out-of-the-study-groove argument is nonsense too. Med school studying will be unlike any studying you've ever done. Everyone needs to adjust. A year off won't hurt you.
 
I'm taking two years off. It's nice to give undivided attention to studying for the MCAT, filling out applications, writing essays, seeking LOR, having a social life, and simply to have time for introspection about WTF you're about to do with the prime of your life and your parents retirement funds. Makes sense considering it's an irreversible 8 year $200,000+ commitment. The downside, however, is having to justify the time off to coworkers and friends who are unfamiliar with how med school works. Many will equate a year off with laziness or procrastination. In reality it shows maturity, long-term dedication and a realistic attitude toward a daunting application process. I've explained countless times to people how applying to med school is an intensive year-long journey unlike any other but they still assume it is similar to law school 🙄, which we all know is a complete joke by comparison.

I agree with the post above. A year off will definitely allow for some introspection and let you ask, "Is this REALLY what I want to do?" as you jump through countless hoops.

To the OP-- Unfortunately, taking doesn't necessarily grant you undivided attention. It really depends on what you do with your time off. I took time off to learn about drug research, but at the same time, I am working 50-60 hour weeks with a 1.5 hr commute one way. Needless to say, I barely have 2-3 hours in my night to study/fill out apps.

You will want undivided attention to study for the MCAT. However, I believe you don't need such dedication when fill out your primary/secondary. I think your BEST bet (something I wish I did) would be to take the MCAT in August/September 2011 after you graduate. Do nothing but study, and at the same time, start looking for work (or whatever you want to do). After you take your MCAT, apply in 2012 for 2013. It'll really allow you to start drafting your personal statement with ample time and etc etc etc. If you take it in august/september, it also gives you a chance to retake the test before applying for the 2013 cycle JUST in case you don't do well.
 
My Uncle's brother took a year off to study for the MCAT (he literally studied the ENTIRE YEAR...) and ended up scoring a (....I'm NOT making this up!) 44 on it. He missed only one question on the entire test and still thinks he was right on it to this day.

Needless to say the guy made an excellent doctor. He worked as an Orthopedic Surgeon at Mayo. He's retired now due to his health but I doubt he regrets taking his year off. 😉

Thats impossible. First of all unless your uncle's brother is still young and he retired extremely prematurely he'd know that in the past the MCAT scaled scores weren't always reported as 12, 13, 14, 15 for those who scored in high percentiles for a given section. I don't remember what year it was, but in the no-so-distant future if you scored that high your score for that section was reported as a range (i.e. you get a 13-15 on the PS section). So while he could speculate all he wanted to as to whether or not he got one question wrong its possible that he "only" got a 39. They don't tell you how many individual questions you got wrong. Furthermore I'm pretty sure that the highest MCAT score recorded was a 43 based on all I've heard/
 
I am taking a year off right now, as well, but this is not to say that it puts one at an advantage over those who matriculate directly from undergrad. If anything, it's just making the application process much more manageable. I took the MCAT the summer between junior and senior year (August), so my app would have been later if I chose to apply for 2008 entrance.

I'd like to add that taking a year off does not necessarily equal an easier time with the application. It all depends on what you're doing. I started a full time job barely a week out of graduation, and moved into a new apartment. I lost a lot of time that I should've used to work on my application to settling down in my job and my new place. I'm not saying don't take a year off; I'm just saying make sure you manage your time carefully. 🙂
 
Thats impossible. First of all unless your uncle's brother is still young and he retired extremely prematurely he'd know that in the past the MCAT scaled scores weren't always reported as 12, 13, 14, 15 for those who scored in high percentiles for a given section. I don't remember what year it was, but in the no-so-distant future if you scored that high your score for that section was reported as a range (i.e. you get a 13-15 on the PS section). So while he could speculate all he wanted to as to whether or not he got one question wrong its possible that he "only" got a 39. They don't tell you how many individual questions you got wrong. Furthermore I'm pretty sure that the highest MCAT score recorded was a 43 based on all I've heard/


Also wouldn't your uncle's brother be your father?
 
Also wouldn't your uncle's brother be your father?
Uh, no. If your dad's sister gets married, her husband is your uncle. His brother is of no relation to you. Or your uncle's brother might also be your other uncle.
 
It's a matter of opinions, but the only people who think you need to get started right away are premeds. Talk to any doctor, and they will tell you taking a year off is a great idea. I've never met one who didn't think it was a wise decision.

That out-of-the-study-groove argument is nonsense too. Med school studying will be unlike any studying you've ever done. Everyone needs to adjust. A year off won't hurt you.

Seconded. This is what I have encountered in my experience as well. I was a straight-from-undergrad student and while I don't regret my decision to go straight to medical school I have come to appreciate what a year off would have meant much more. Regardless of how hard you're driven, or how much you want to go to medical school, being 22/23 years old and studying for 50+ hours a week while getting phone calls from your friends on friday nights asking for you to come out and have fun and having to say no is a frustrating experience. You know, the whole "squandering the best years of your life" bit. And I'm sure some pre-med will quote me on that and beg to differ, but when you take that first step on the medicine path and finally realize just how long and arduous it is, your perspectives change a bit. There is a small part of me that wishes I was out there every weekend with my friends "enjoying my youth" and collecting crazy stories. Not enough to really bother me too much, but I can't deny its there.

A year off is great because it allows you to focus your energies on your applications without the time and energy required from 18 credits of courses or the many social distractions your senior year of college entails. You get a taste for "real-life" after graduating and start to realize that medical school is not just college 2.0. Some of the classmates I saw who had the easiest time adjusting to med school were the ones who came from working full time, and some of the ones who had the most difficult time were the ones who came directly from college and who were used to college being easy. This is because med school is much more like a job than like being in college. The material isn't particularly challenging intellectually but requires time management, time commitment, and persistance. People who come from working 40-50 hours a week are more used to staying with a given activity for long periods of time, which is a lot more useful and relevant to med school that being used to reading textbooks or being used to going to class.
 
I agree with the post above, and many others saying that a year or two off could be a very good thing. Granted, I have not yet done it (although I plan to). Also, from looking at the msar and other admissions/entering class statistics, the average age for matriculants at many (even most?) medical schools appears to be around 23-24, about the age most people would be if they took a year or two off, so I'm guessing it's neither uncommon nor frowned upon.
 
Taking time off is absolutely not frowned upon by med schools. If you spend the time wisely, it can actually give you the ECs you need to choose from a better grouping of schools. So med schools tend to reward folks who do this.

Sure, some people who take too much time off away from academics have a bit of an uphill climb getting back into the swing of things. But some people who go straight through have an equally tough time getting out of the "undergrad mode" that really doesn't work well in med school, others suffer angst and anxiety from not taking a break. I'd say from what I've seen, a proportionate percentage of each of these groups (straight through versus time off) struggle and a proportionate percentage excel in med school. Do what makes sense for you. But don't rush to school before you are ready to give it 100%.