Is taking DAT in mid august way too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CherryBlossom1412

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!!
I originially had my dat date on July 25th but I know i'm not gonna be ready. I want to review bio again and get better scores in destroyers and bootcamp. I have been getting 60-70% on destroyer and like 17-19 on BC. I honestly don't feel ready to take DAT (especailly when I suck at PAT so bad). AND i also havn't started praticing RC :(((
So i want to push my dat date and the earliest after my original date is Aug 22nd. I pretty have all LOR, PS, and everything else done that I can even submit right now. Do you think it's still ok to apply even my dat date is so late? I just dont want to take in early and get bad scores, but I also don't want to take another gap year either.

Also, if i were to submit app right now, will some schools that I applied send me secondary app? or they 'll wait till they see my DAT score first??

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is doable, yes. But it is not favorable. Taking your DAT that late will limit the number of pre-December interviews you may receive. However, you will probably be able to receive a few post-December interviews (assuming you are able to get a good score on your DAT 20+, and the rest of your application is solid)

Reactions: 1 user
First off, don't let your practice scores scare you.. learn from your mistakes, focus and take your time. Taking your exam that late will significantly hurt your chances, considering the score may not be processed until mid-September. Unless your GPA is significantly higher than the averages of the schools you're applying to, I wouldn't risk the money/time/effort.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the DAT mid-Aug 2016. Scores verified late Aug. 7 interviews (most of which were pre-Dec), 6 acceptances. Take it when you're ready (but ideally no later than 9/1)! Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

you still have 4weeks to study and have decent foundation to work from, you can totally do the July date.
But be honest with yourself- how disciplined you will be able to be and how many hrs you will be able to devote each day? Do you have a study schedule outline that you are using? I only had 6 weeks to study, while still working and taking care of the family (3kids), so I couldn't use Ari's schedule from BC, or anyone else's, for that matter. So I mapped out how many hrs each day of the week I could count on, even if it was only 1 on my long work days, or 6 on my days off (w/ the 3yr old and all the housework etc) and made a rough road map of what I had to get through each day. I didn't start to feel somewhat prepared until about a week before the test; I'm sure a lot of ppl are similar, there is just such a volume of study material, once you get through a certain amount the same themes start repeating, and you start recognizing things and getting a lot more right. On the flip side, you will never feel fully prepared, no matter how long you study for, so don't let that scare you into putting it off too long. Like I said at the beginning, 4 weeks is still a long time left to prepare, if you are disciplined. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Took mine in October and still got in.

Come at me, bro.

Reactions: 1 users
A number of schools don't even send out interview invites until August. The month of August is pushing it, but you may still be invited for interviews post-December. Just look at all the schools you are applying to and see when all materials are due. If the materials are all due before your scheduled test date, taking the DAT after that point will not count at the school.

Op take the test when you are ready, we are in a similar situation.

Just look at all the schools you are applying to and see when all materials are due. If the materials are all due before your scheduled test date, taking the DAT after that point will not count at the school.
What does that mean, what materials you are referring to?

I took it late and interviewed everywhere I wanted to. I think I took it Aug 21st last year. Just score high and there is no way the schools can not look at you ;)

I took it late and interviewed everywhere I wanted to. I think I took it Aug 21st last year. Just score high and there is no way the schools can not look at you ;)

Nice! May I ask how many schools you applied to? I am also taking the DAT a bit late (August 5th) and plan on applying to 9 schools.

Nice! May I ask how many schools you applied to? I am also taking the DAT a bit late (August 5th) and plan on applying to 9 schools.
Not to butt in, but I took mine on August 9th last year and applied to about 14 or so schools. I had high stats but only applied to so many because my application was so late (submitted 8/24, verified 8/29). Maybe this might help you :)