Is taking MCAT twice BAD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sexycani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got my scores back and they were 7 points less than my practice averages. (I scored a 9V,11P,10B = 30S while my AAMC avgs were 11V,13P,13B = 37).

I have a 3.90 from a top public university and have quite some accomplishments in research, clinic, etc. that I think set me apart.

My objective is to get into a top 25 med school, preferably in CA (I am a CA resident).

Is taking the MCAT twice bad? I plan to retake it next April before applying in June. I am fairly confident I can improve my score.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm pretty sure you can do better if your averages were a 37

I wouldn't say it is bad as long as you can bring up your score several points. It is pretty common to take this test more than once and this probably shows that you have some perseverance and dedication. However, if you take it and get the same score it just convinces the adcom that is your "real" score. If you take it again and do worse that does not look good, esp for schools that rely on the most recent MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't think of anything worse than taking the MCAT twice!!! Oh the horror!! :O :O seriously dude, I think you might actually get condemned to hell for this sin.

well since you got a 30 i'd say yeah taking it a second time wouldn't be bad, as long as you do better that is. taking the MCAT twice is only bad if you got a really low score the first time.

45 this time. no excuses.

Most MD schools only count your first score, so it won't make a difference. :eek:

okay good so i take it that adcoms wont frown on me taking it twice as long as i show improvement..

now im glad i scored this low...at least i can improve

im assuming this wont be a problem at ANY school...right? like top UCs and top 15 etc?

That's not true.
images

It's not that bad to take it twice.

The real question is, why do you think you didn't do as well on the real thing? Lack of sleep? Stress? What are you going to do differently this next time?

It's a good thing if you think it'll help. I knew I'd do better the second time I took it.

Do you know why you performed below the level on your practice tests? That huge of a drop would concern me if you can't pin point the reason. I dropped like 6-8 points the first time but I was feeling sick. Going down to a 34 from a 37 is totally reasonable, but a 30 requires MANY more wrong answers.

While it's not ideal, it certainly isn't bad. Many people take it twice. Some take it even 3 or 4 times, after which point many are advised to reconsider their goals. :(

Unexpected things happen. Make sure that you are well prepared for the next one by identifying what might have gone wrong this time.

It's a good thing if you think it'll help. I knew I'd do better the second time I took it.

Do you know why you performed below the level on your practice tests? That huge of a drop would concern me if you can't pin point the reason. I dropped like 6-8 points the first time but I was feeling sick. Going down to a 34 from a 37 is totally reasonable, but a 30 requires MANY more wrong answers.

i dont think i had mastery on all the material...
my practice test scores average was indeed 37 but the range was broad...so the tests i knew the material i scored well
also i got really anxious before the test as it was in the afternoon

i think the 2nd time i take it ill be more relaxed as ill take it in the morning and get done with it....also i wont be an MCAT virgin...lol :love:

Hey OP-

I took the MCAT twice, with a 5 point increase on the second test. It was NOT a problem for me AT ALL. I brought it up at several interviews when the question of "weaknesses" came up, and was repeatedly told that it didn't matter. I interviewed/received acceptances at entirely top 25 places (and also a CA resident). Agree with others though, you do need to make sure you know what went wrong and ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Good luck!

OP, why did you do so badly on the actual test than you did on AAMC FL's? I can't imagine your score got plummeted like that just because you got distracted a little on the test day. Maybe you used more time to finish the tests than originally given? or paused during verbal tests to read passages more carefully, or took longer break to get recharged? In case you haven't, I suggest that you simualte taking the actual exam exactly.

I recently got my scores back and they were 7 points less than my practice averages. (I scored a 9V,11P,10B = 30S while my AAMC avgs were 11V,13P,13B = 37).

I have a 3.90 from a top public university and have quite some accomplishments in research, clinic, etc. that I think set me apart.

My objective is to get into a top 25 med school, preferably in CA (I am a CA resident).

Is taking the MCAT twice bad? I plan to retake it next April before applying in June. I am fairly confident I can improve my score.

If you take it a second time, you MUST improve by 6 points or more for it to improve your application.

Retake if you think you can improve by 3+ points.

well you know what, at this point, i KNOW i can do better so im just going to forget about how taking it twice "looks" to adcoms and focus on preparing to get a 35+

thanks all

So I think of it this way: it's really easy to have a bad day. Anyone can be sick. distracted or just be in the wrong mood on a single test day. On the other hand, it's really difficult to do the opposite and score much better than what you should have. Good scores are not the result of "flukes" as where bad scores sometimes can be, and I think adcoms realize this. good luck!