Is taking the GRE August or early/mid September too late??

Started by ptlover
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ptlover

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!

I am just wondering if takjng the GRE in September is too late? Would you recommend taking it in August instead? ?
 
It depends on what schools you're applying to, and whether you need the scores early for early/rolling admissions. Also, are you confident that you won't have to take it twice? It's always nice to have some time to retake the test, just in case.
 
like Kuhdaytee said, it really would only be too late if you were trying for early decision or rolling admission. You can still submit your application before taking the GRE, and then put your scores into PTCAS and have them sent out after, that way schools will have your application and just be waiting on your GRE. I took mine in September last year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
like Kuhdaytee said, it really would only be too late if you were trying for early decision or rolling admission. You can still submit your application before taking the GRE, and then put your scores into PTCAS and have them sent out after, that way schools will have your application and just be waiting on your GRE. I took mine in September last year.


Did this inhibit you from getting in to schools by having your scores come after? I am just a terrible standardize test taker I need more time. But my application itself will be done in about 2 weeks, most rolling admission schools won't look at your app until GRE scores are received correct?


Do you recommend I stay with my August 25th date and if need be retake it September 15?
 
I think if you are pretty confident that having the extra 3 weeks to study will improve your score significantly, then take it later. If pushing it back is only going to raise your score by a point, it's probably just a waste of $50 to reschedule it.