Is Texas a Utopia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fascinoma

destined for excision...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all.

Haven't posted in a while because I don't have much to say, but I am slowly absorbing the anesthesiology teaching...oh, so slowly. And, of course, I'm enjoying my last month-long vacation before July 1 hits me like a brick in the face.

Saw this article and was wondering if anyone had any opinions about it:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121097874071799863.html?mod=opinion_main_commentaries

a friend of mine is a radiologist down in Houston and says Texas is unusually physician friendly. the instantly-explode-into-flames summers aside, I hear it's pretty comfortable living down in Texas. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, Texas is one of the best states to practice in.

Let's hope their reforms spread like wild-fire across the country and enable healthcare to improve across the board..

Hi, all.

Haven't posted in a while because I don't have much to say, but I am slowly absorbing the anesthesiology teaching...oh, so slowly. And, of course, I'm enjoying my last month-long vacation before July 1 hits me like a brick in the face.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121097874071799863.html?mod=opinion_main_commentaries

a friend of mine is a radiologist down in Houston and says Texas is unusually physician friendly. the instantly-explode-into-flames summers aside, I hear it's pretty comfortable living down in Texas. Thoughts?

Hi, all.

That link isn't working for me.

And yes, TX rocks.

Members don't see this ad :)
That link isn't working for me.

And yes, TX rocks.

if you get some weird numbers and letters (i just clicked it and got craziness), try hitting 'refresh' and then the article popped up for me. if it still doesn't work, i could always copy and paste it in here. short article, but interesting.

Yes it's a great practice environment that has allowed us to cut costs and provide more charity care for our ever increasing indigent population.

The battle to keep the practice environment stable is far from over as the trial lawyers are trying yet again this year to overturn key components of Texas' tort reform. It will be a critical upcoming legislative session that will determine if the trial lawyers will be able to trim down key components, although ironically, one of the key trial lawyers of their team was hit by a fire engine and is now receiving care by Parkland's trauma team.

It will be a critical upcoming legislative session that will determine if the trial lawyers will be able to trim down key components, although ironically, one of the key trial lawyers of their team was hit by a fire engine and is now receiving care by Parkland's trauma team.

Do you have any more details of the accident? I'm assuming the fire truck was en route to an emergency, and the lawyer didn't hear/see it coming, right?

If there is any hint of negligence on the part of the DFD, they couldn't have picked a worse victim.

Ever since they capped punitive damages at $250k, TX is great for doctors.

There's huge line of doctors waiting for their licenses to be approved so that they can work there.

Plus, no state taxes, affordable homes, large lot, hot Texas women. What more can you ask for?

Do you have any more details of the accident? I'm assuming the fire truck was en route to an emergency, and the lawyer didn't hear/see it coming, right?

I bet he was chasing the ambulance too close.

Tx is a nice place to practice.

Pros:

-no state tax
-low (relative to other parts of the country) cost of living
-nice physician environment. (biggest adjustment to NY for me was the switch from general respect by the community for MD's to one of disdain)
-nice pay

Cons-
-hot. (really really hot. and in most places, humid)
-'texas' mentality. I don't mean the cool parts. I mean the 'redneck small town racist parts.
-did I mention hot?

If there is any hint of negligence on the part of the DFD, they couldn't have picked a worse victim.

It's in the news. The fire truck went through a red light but with lights and sirens blaring and he did not see it and entered the intersection. I know that intersection and there isn't a big building or trees to block the view of crossing traffic. May not have heard it coming and it clobbered him.

I'll agree with the sentiments stated above that Texas is a great place to live and to practice (if you can stand the Texas heat during the summer). Even in the big cities here, housing is relatively cheap...you can get a very nice home for 200-300k (or less depending on the place).

Tort reform has definitely helped the practice situation here...I do hope that the legislation passed a few years ago stays intact.

I will say, though, that based on what I've heard from others, getting your license to practice in Texas can be a huge pain in the a$$. The waits are long, and you do have to pass the jurisprudence exam (which isn't something you can just blow off; ie, you do need to study for it) to get licensed here.

It's funny hearing this talk of a waitlist for licensure in TX, with physicians practically crawling over each other to get there. It hasn't been two years since I was hearing from leadership within the state that the number of residency positions needed to be increased, since TX wasn't retaining enough physicians to care for the population.

-'texas' mentality. I don't mean the cool parts. I mean the 'redneck small town racist parts.

Part of that "Texas mentality", as well, is that if you ain't from Texas, you don't really exist. They are very pro-Texas in everything. You better have a Texas pedigree (undergrad/med) if you're ambitious and want to accomplish anything more than just being another cog in the wheel there.

-copro

Part of that "Texas mentality", as well, is that if you ain't from Texas, you don't really exist. They are very pro-Texas in everything. You better have a Texas pedigree (undergrad/med) if you're ambitious and want to accomplish anything more than just being another cog in the wheel there.

-copro

Interesting, I got a lot of interviews for pain fellowships in Texas, but no offers. Almost all of the fellows I met at the different programs were from Texas, had connections there, or were from the Deep South.

It's in the news. The fire truck went through a red light but with lights and sirens blaring and he did not see it and entered the intersection. I know that intersection and there isn't a big building or trees to block the view of crossing traffic. May not have heard it coming and it clobbered him.

Ouch...I feel sorry for that fire department. ($$$)

Someone needs to rename that firetruck "KARMA".