Is the AAP meeting worthwile for med students applying to psych residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Midwestpsych

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for this upcoming 2015 Psychiatry residency match. I was wondering if going to the Association for Academic Psychiatry (AAP) meeting this September in Portland will increase my chances of getting interviews/matched? And is it student friendly? I would love to hear from someone that has attended before. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I like the meeting--it's small and cordial, low key. There won't be a lot of blatant recruiting going on, so I doubt it will *directly* increase you chances, but you can network and ask questions all you like. The workshops are fairly small and interactive and you might find yourself sitting next to a famous program director, or a current resident at a program you're interested in, or even next to OldPsychDoc!

September's generally a nice time in Portland -- still reasonably warm, and the rain hasn't hit yet -- so you can have a good time even if the conference isn't great. I haven't been, and OPD would know more than me about it's usefulness, but if it's a hardship to come, I'd skip it. Application season is costly enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the meeting--it's small and cordial, low key. There won't be a lot of blatant recruiting going on, so I doubt it will *directly* increase you chances, but you can network and ask questions all you like. The workshops are fairly small and interactive and you might find yourself sitting next to a famous program director, or a current resident at a program you're interested in, or even next to OldPsychDoc!

Would it be a worthwhile experience for students though outside of networking? I'll actually be free then and would be interested in going and having the chance to check out Portland, but if it's geared in such a way as to not be that educational for those of us at the student level I won't make the effort.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I think I'll check it out!