Is the AuD degree worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessjlstar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really have an interest in Speech Language Pathology classes. As of current, I am planning on becoming an occupational therapist because I love the psychological aspect of it. However, I still love SLP classes. With that being said, I must ask was the cost and time it took to receive your AuD worth it? Or would you rather have gone into another field?

Members don't see this ad.

OT has more jobs, requires only a master's degree, has higher medicare reimbursement, and often pays better in salary than Audiology at all skilled nursing facilities and hospitals.

If you like OT I'd stick with OT. Audiology will require 4 years of schooling to make less and have less jobs available in any given area than OT.

That being said OT can be very monotonous (as all therapy fields can be), but you will have a job that is high in demand, less student loan debt, and you can always pick up PRN work for extra cash. Audiologists hardly get PRN work because the demand just isn't there.