Is the score I want even possible at this point?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medskol

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am an MS2 at a mid-tier US allopathic medical school, planning to take step1 in May. I usually have been at average for my exams, and even my mcat was a 510 (on the second try). When i started this past year I had aimed for a 240 on step but now idk if i was aiming too high. I started off in August doing Zanki, sketchy micro and pharm, along with BNB and pathoma religiously. I would not say I was the best student, since it felt like I crammed everything in the last week, but I still ended up getting 90s on my exams, which was always above the class average. However, I had a hard time keeping up with most zanki decks and only did it sparingly after an exam. I also started doing questions in October but not that strictly each day. I feel like from August-december i did not work very hard, and I took things way too relaxed. I definitley watched more Netflix than I should have, and slept in more than someone who is preparing for step 1 should. and i know i could have worked harder.Maybe I had a false sense of belief in my abilities due to doing relatively well on my in class exams.,
The issue is that now, all that is coming back to bite me. I recently look a CBSE given by my school and scored a 189 (this was given before we completed 2 units). Our dedicate period is from march to May. I have done about 1.2K questions using USMLERX (i do 50 a day now) and I am sitting at a 60% overall. One big issue I have is that i am awful at reviewing questions..there are so many practice questions ive done but never reviewed. Also, I have crippling anxiety which makes it really hard for me to have confidence and hope, so if anyone has experience with these two things that would be appreciated!
Overall though, I just want to know if i should drop down my aim to a 230? How screwed am I at this point? I know its hard to go back in the past but i just keep going back and thinking about what I should have done the past 5 months to not be in this situation. If anyone has any advice how I should move forward and maximize my time to at least have a shot at a better score, I would really appreciate it! This subreddit has really been a beacon of hope for me so any advice is welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

You still have a fair amount of time. Even though you should have worked harder, it's not as if all your previous review is completely lost. Pause and take a deep breath. You must do two things to succeed. First, get control of your anxiety. If you are crippled by fear and regret, then the best test prep in the world will avail nothing. Second, you must study more effectively. Taking practice qs with no review afterwards is almost pointless. Get to the point where you can explain concepts to a layman. Keep up with Zanki (you don't have to do ALL of them). You will never know it all. Trust your critical thinking skills while learning as much as possible between now and May. It's easier said than done but if you focus on the path of mastery rather than the outcome, you will be more successful in achieving your goals as well as in life in general. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
One big issue I have is that i am awful at reviewing questions..there are so many practice questions ive done but never reviewed
From a test prep perspective, this is your biggest issue. When you get to UWorld, make sure you review both correct and incorrect choices.

I did not use Anki for Step 1 and did well, so it's not necessary for Step 1. The key to succeeding with Anki is keeping and not falling behind. Otherwise, UFAPS + BB should be more than enough to you to your target score.

class grades don't matter too much. there's kids at the top of the class who didn't even pass our first mock board exam.

Stop doing Rx and do UWORLD. Take your time and heavily review the questions WITH a strategy for spaced review of whatever topics you missed. You can DM me with questions if you like