Is the summer MCAT easier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chess_king

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do not know much about the MCAT, and I am starting to make my plans.

From what I understand, there are only two tests each year, and the test is scaled in comparison to how others preform.

The spring test is the one everyone seems to be recommending.

For this reason, I am tempted to think the best students would take the test in the spring. This would mean the summer test would be scaled easier due to decreased comptetion?

I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Members don't see this ad.

chess_king said:
I do not know much about the MCAT, and I am starting to make my plans.

From what I understand, there are only two tests each year, and the test is scaled in comparison to how others preform.

The spring test is the one everyone seems to be recommending.

For this reason, I am tempted to think the best students would take the test in the spring. This would mean the summer test would be scaled easier due to decreased comptetion?

I apologize if this is a stupid question.

There would not be 'decreased competition' in the summer. I would recommend taking it when you have the most time to prepare. Historically, the April MCAT has been less difficult, but I took mine in August. I don't know if there are any facts to back that up (it being easier in April).

I think it is pretty widely accepted on here that neither is easier. According to the MCAT staff on e-mcat board, the curve for the tests are predetermined. That means a 30 in April should be pretty exactly equal to a 30 in August. However, a 30 in August will normally put you at a higher percentile than a 30 in April because the August takers are normally slightly stupider.

Both tests are the same. However, many August MCAT takers are the re-testers, which means the best test-takers are not there anymore. That's the reason why the august scores are usually lower than the April ones (according to the AAMC statistics). Well, if you got the equal preparation, you would score about the same on both dates. Hope it helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I thought the scoring was scaled based on the preformance of the other test takers and that the aveage score was always the same.

I will go ahead and take the test in the spring of 2006 as this will be ideal for me.

This site is being quite helpful for me. I am happy that I did not get banned for my comments in the lounge. :D

Denn said:
Both tests are the same. However, many August MCAT takers are the re-testers, which means the best test-takers are not there anymore. That's the reason why the august scores are usually lower than the April ones (according to the AAMC statistics). Well, if you got the equal preparation, you would score about the same on both dates. Hope it helps.

not all August MCATers are retakers, and check the board to see how many August MCATers are retaking in April...

There isn't any statistical difference between the two test dates according to the AAMC. So take the test whenever makes the most sense for you, and don't worry about who else is taking it with you.

I think it makes the most sense to take the April test if you want to apply that summer for the following year. (ex. take it is April 2005 to apply for Fall 2006.) That way, you will already have your scores in June, and you can get your application in early. Plus, you have a second shot at it in case it doesn't go well the first time for any reason.

On the other hand, if you are too busy with school or other responsibilities during the spring and you won't be able to prepare properly, you might want to take it in Aug. Most people have more time to study in the summer for various reasons, and if you aren't worried about applying for the following fall, you can get it out of the way early and have one less thing to worry about when you apply the following year. (ex. take the test in Aug. 2005 to apply for Fall 2007). This is what I chose to do, because I didn't want to be writing up my dissertation at the same time as I was studying for the MCAT, and I wanted to have the free year just in case I end up taking an extra semester to graduate.

The nature of a standardize tests dictates that the aamc has to do their damnest to insure that a 30 is a 30 is a 30. Questions such as when you will best prepared, or which date will allow you to have an early file complete should dictate your decision. Trying to game the curve is pretty much a waste of energy.

Psycho Doctor said:
not all August MCATers are retakers, and check the board to see how many August MCATers are retaking in April...
Not all, but many are. I think more people take April test and then August test, then vice versa. Or I might be looking at the wrong statistics :confused: What is your source?

Denn said:
Not all, but many are. I think more people take April test and then August test, then vice versa. Or I might be looking at the wrong statistics :confused: What is your source?

My advice is to take physics and ochem by the end of sophomore year so that you can take the MCAT the summer before junior year like I did. This is the best of all worlds: taking the test with re-takers, having the whole summer to prep, and getting it over with quickly. I think I would have scored much lower if I had had to do MCAT and school at the same time.

I was only able to do this because I started off as an engineering major, so I had physics out of the way after freshman year, and ochem is in my bio degree plan for sophomore year.

browniegirl86 said:
My advice is to take physics and ochem by the end of sophomore year so that you can take the MCAT the summer before junior year like I did. This is the best of all worlds: taking the test with re-takers, having the whole summer to prep, and getting it over with quickly. I think I would have scored much lower if I had had to do MCAT and school at the same time.

I was only able to do this because I started off as an engineering major, so I had physics out of the way after freshman year, and ochem is in my bio degree plan for sophomore year.
Well, you have a valid point there. However, the April MCATers apply early in the cycle, which gives them a tremendous advantage over the August MCATers.

So, related question... Do you think it's worth the risk of taking it in April even though you know you're going to be pretty busy during the spring? I would really like to take it in April, but I'm afraid that life is going to be crazy in the spring, and I'll still be finishing up prereqs. I just don't want to be hurt by waiting until August.