Is the USIMG a valuable resource in the workforce?

Started by Ariee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Is the US/CDN IMG valuable to the work force?

  • No, I'd rather have PA's & NP's fill our PCP shortage

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    12
  • Poll closed .

Ariee

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can chose more than one answer. If the answer you don't agree with is not up there, then put your opinion down here. Also, maybe the answers will be biased, since this is an International Forum. Perhaps, we should move this to the FM/IM forum?
 
Last edited:
A biased choice i guess, but the FMG did go to a domiciled medical school. Meaning that he/she was the cream of the applicant pool during the entrance exams.
 
Hi schnadan 😉

You're right, it is biased. I dont mean to seclude/exclude. I was thinking in terms of the US work force.

How do you suggest, I word the poll to make it less biased in regards to the US work force and the FMG?

My father was an FMG and he faced a lot of difficulties. At the end of the day, I really felt he would have benefitted his own country more by serving as a physician there. It was very difficult for him to assimilate into the US culture. He also feels the same way. What say you?

Everyone is the cream of the crop at their medical school and their residency program.

A 🙂

Ps. Thanks your post really made me notice, something I hadn't intended.
 
You know, now a days, alot of things like media coverage, the internet, forums are freely available and our generation has exposure to so many things our parents couldn't ever think of. I believe "adapting" to the system would be marginally easier for the younger generation. If you talk in terms of assimilating into the US work culture, yes, it will be a challenge for an FMG. Professional etiquettes, one learns with time. In terms of adapting to the social fabric, that depends on the FMG i think. If one refuses to change and continue to live in a bubble, he/she will have a mighty hard time.The choices are apt i think, maybe add a "no, not in ultra competitve specialities" and "yes, patients don't care where MD doctor went to medical school...a licensed physician is a licensed physician is a licensed physician"