Is there a list of Medical Schools with student run free clinics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tovarishch

Reaction score
A few minutes of googling didn't provide an easy answer. It provided several organizations and resources that seemed like they should have a list easily discoverable, but did not.

I'm specifically trying to find schools like Georgetown and Wake Forest that have students running their clinics, not just volunteering opportunities at local or school-run clinics.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

A few minutes of googling didn't provide an easy answer. It provided several organizations and resources that seemed like they should have a list easily discoverable, but did not.

I'm specifically trying to find schools like Georgetown and Wake Forest that have students running their clinics, not just volunteering opportunities at local or school-run clinics.

Thanks in advance
What's wrong with the bolded text?

Reactions: 1 user
What's wrong with the bolded text?
I'm just looking for ways to differentiate schools when secondaries feel overwhelming and they all start to blur a bit. I read a description on one school's website about volunteering opportunities for med students that seemed to amount to what I already do as an untrained volunteer at my local hospital, and I don't want to focus another essay on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just looking for ways to differentiate schools when secondaries feel overwhelming and they all start to blur a bit. I read a description on one school's website about volunteering opportunities for med students that seemed to amount to what I already do as an untrained volunteer at my local hospital, and I don't want to focus another essay on that.
My experience has been that school-run clinics let students do quite a bit of the work--taking BP, other VS, charting, presenting the patient, etc. Where do you live?

To my knowledge, a vast majority of schools run free clinics.

The medical student’s level of involvement will very from school to school, though, and this is hard to determine from outside looks.

Reactions: 4 users
Medical students don't run clinics. They are students. What usually occurs is that the student sees the patient first, then discusses the patient with a resident or attending and develops a plan. Sometimes the attending joins the student after their discussion for another look at the patient. Very student level dependent. Students have to be supervised.

Reactions: 5 users
Medical students don't run clinics. They are students. What usually occurs is that the student sees the patient first, then discusses the patient with a resident or attending and develops a plan. Sometimes the attending joins the student after their discussion for another look at the patient. Very student level dependent. Students have to be supervised.
Some schools do have legitimately student run clinics (I know, I ran one). The “student run” part is about logistics more than medical decisions. Obviously has attending oversight for medical aspects and we worked heavily with knowledgeable community partners, but we were in charge of the scheduling, the ordering of supplies, the community outreach, basically every aspect of making the clinic happen besides the actual final medical decisions. But we had a pretty unique set up and a very targeted patient population with very specific needs that allowed it to work well.

I wouldn’t necessarily make it a defining aspect of which schools to apply to - it can be an incredible opportunity if you get to be involved with one, but there are schools without them that have other great clinical opportunities. And just by virtue of being a med student you usually get to have more involvement than as a premed volunteer.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Some schools do have legitimately student run clinics (I know, I ran one). The “student run” part is about logistics more than medical decisions. Obviously has attending oversight for medical aspects and we worked heavily with knowledgeable community partners, but we were in charge of the scheduling, the ordering of supplies, the community outreach, basically every aspect of making the clinic happen besides the actual final medical decisions. But we had a pretty unique set up and a very targeted patient population with very specific needs that allowed it to work well.

I wouldn’t necessarily make it a defining aspect of which schools to apply to - it can be an incredible opportunity if you get to be involved with one, but there are schools without them that have other great clinical opportunities. And just by virtue of being a med student you usually get to have more involvement than as a premed volunteer.
Most schools start clinical involvement in M1 and M2 these days--just so that the basic foundation courses aren't so mundane and the end is in sight.
The free clinic that I volunteered at let premeds do almost all of the things that the medical students were doing, with the med students supervising the premeds and so on. See one, do one, teach one.

Thanks in advance
Funny... Google told me... there's a map at https://www.studentrunfreeclinics.org/our-story/ . That's at least a start. Look up the schools represented in published articles in their journal (Journal of Student-Run Clinics) or research collective (Archives | Free Clinic Research Collective).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Pretty much all medical schools have some sort of free clinic volunteering activities. They may not have a student run clinic, per-se. At my school there are a handful of clinical faculty accepting students to volunteer under their wing for community based free clinics.

My alma matter, NJMS has had a long standing student run clinic since they built the current teaching hospital. MS1-2s obtain histories, perform exams, MS3/4s supervise write a note and formulate a plan - the team then presents to the attending who will then go see the patient with the team and sign off or make changes as needed. The clinic administration is also mostly handled by students. Grad students in the special masters program affiliated with the Med school help facilitate some social work stuff as well.