Is there a PM&R army or navy res?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrojanMan48

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a PM&R army or navy residency program?

Members don't see this ad.

There is only one PMR program in the military, and it's at Walter Reed. I think it only trains Army and AF residents. The Navy is contracting their physiatrists.

Trix

There are no PM&R Residencies for the Navy. The Navy doesn't feel that a physiatrist is needed in a deployment setting so they don't feel the need to have any on active duty. Actually I think there is one on active duty somewhere.

From what I have seen at the Walter Reed program it very well may accept Air Force people, but there are none there now that I know of and if my memory serves me correctly there haven't been in quite some time.

If you want PM&R and military go Army.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are several Navy physiatrists on active duty - currently their specialty advisor works at Millington doing something remotely related to physical standards. I think that there is one at USNA also, but the plan as it stands at the moment is to phase out those billets and replace them with civillian doctors. That's a great gig too - they work normal business hours in the ortho or sports med department in MTFs or clinics, no nights, no weekends, no call, and lots of bling bling cash.

Trix

The Army program got 15 applications for 4 spots last year. Outside of those 4, my understanding is that the Army did not grant deferrals. What this means for any of you considering singing up for HPSP is that the remanining 11 applicants will either serve out their time as a GMO or have to pick from whatever residencies are remanining in the military. It's not a good situation and it's too be avoided if you're interested in PM&R, especially since it's relatively non-competitive in the real world.

So the Navy is phasing out physiatrists through the HPSP program, or in general? I'm actually leaning more towards the FAP program than the HPSP and I'm leaning Navy right now also, but not if the billet is going to be phased out.

Neuronix: So would I be better suited to pursue the FAP program in PM&R than HPSP? That's what I was thinking anyway, but I wanted to make sure I was correct in thinking so.....

TrojanMan48 said:
Neuronix: So would I be better suited to pursue the FAP program in PM&R than HPSP? That's what I was thinking anyway, but I wanted to make sure I was correct in thinking so.....

I always think FAP is the better way to go. Sign away the next 4 years of your life as opposed to 4 years of your life 8 years from now. Though if PM&R continues to be that competitive, the military probably won't sign you for PM&R with FAP.