Is there a reason why working in a public setting pays less?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magyarzorag

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Are the benefits better? Does it come with a pension, more vacation days. Is it a more cushy job, like the DMV?
Money is one of my last priorities, and I am certainly willing to trade it in for a better lifestyle

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on the agency, location, group etc.

Typically they pay less because their budget is smaller than private places.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of my attendings at the military hospitals are GS. They definitely make more than the active duty but less than their private civillian counterparts. Usually they are retired military that appreciate the setting/community and don't feel like having to deal with insurance and such. Other things they mention include better PTO (30 days/year), better hours, more collegial atmosphere, and continuity of care.

They make less than civillians because government. Tax payer funded, budgets, and the fun goes on. Also, rotating at civillian vs non-civillian hospitals the physicians are pretty similar but the efficiency of the ancillary staff, support staff, admin, etc. is night and day. When I was on GI the civillian location and militiary hospital were staffed by the same attendings but the civillian location could do a number of scopes that would take the military hospital all day in about 2-3 hours.

Note I'm not talking about the VA, that's a whole other ball game. Some of the above apply but.....well..... you all have seen the news.

Are the benefits better? Does it come with a pension, more vacation days. Is it a more cushy job, like the DMV?
Money is one of my last priorities, and I am certainly willing to trade it in for a better lifestyle
Not quoting a physician's salary per se but I know for a fact that all medical workers in one of my public employers got better pay and equal vacation time compared to the nearby private institute I later worked at. However, despite the paycut, I thoroughly loved the private institute because I had better quality perks and it seemed that the higher-ups genuinely took note of my advanced coursework and were interested in having me find alternate avenues for higher task/responsibilities. I would say that regardless of pay, always go where people are supportive and most importantly management folks are on your side to help you rise in whichever direction you want. You can never control the type of people you work with as I found all settings to eventually have the same personalities, but if people respect you and the only thing they crib about is petty work politics, just know that it exists and you have to find better ways to focus on your job and enjoy what you have in front of you. I wish I had found my private institute earlier and settled nearby to have had an even better experience.