Is there a risk to retaking a pretty good DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

woolbandana

Full Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I posted earlier with my scores and asked if I should retake. My scores are pretty decent, but lacking in PAT and Chem.

Do most schools look at the best score, or the most recent? Have any of you retaken and been disappointed, or scored lower? I'd love some feedback on how I should proceed. I definitely wouldn't want to retake if the chances of doing better are slim. I've heard from lots of people that how you do is pretty much how you do and retaking doesn't change your scores very much.

My gpa is o: 3.5 science:3.3

Scores:
Canadian DAT
bio: 22
chem: 19
science overall: 20
RCT: 25
AA: 22
PAT: 18
MDT: 8
 
I posted earlier with my scores and asked if I should retake. My scores are pretty decent, but lacking in PAT and Chem.

Do most schools look at the best score, or the most recent? Have any of you retaken and been disappointed, or scored lower? I'd love some feedback on how I should proceed. I definitely wouldn't want to retake if the chances of doing better are slim. I've heard from lots of people that how you do is pretty much how you do and retaking doesn't change your scores very much.

My gpa is o: 3.5 science:3.3

Scores:
Canadian DAT
bio: 22
chem: 19
science overall: 20
RCT: 25
AA: 22
PAT: 18
MDT: 8

I would not retake unless a dental school requires it. Yes, there is always the risk of scoring lower. You will not receive the same DAT exam.

Just my 2 cents...

Nancy