PhD/PsyD Is there a time limit on getting licensed after completing my Psy.D?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreigndoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a time limit after one completes their Psy.D. to get licensed?
My personal situation is that I received a scholarship to pursue a doctoral degree in clinical psychology but after I completed my degree my country required me to return home and participate in obligatory service (for 5 years). The country is not governed by APA rules and requirements, and psychology is super underdeveloped here. However, by doing this I have left the US and will not do a post-doc or get licensed soon. So would I be completely screwed if I returned to the US after the 5 years ?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll need supervised postdoctoral hours that meet whatever requirements are set by the state in which you apply. It will likely be difficult to find after 5 years out of the field. In many providers' minds, you'll have to be re-trained.

My personal situation is that I received a scholarship to pursue a doctoral degree in clinical psychology but after I completed my degree my country required me to return home and participate in obligatory service (for 5 years). The country is not governed by APA rules and requirements, and psychology is super underdeveloped here. However, by doing this I have left the US and will not do a post-doc or get licensed soon. So would I be completely screwed if I returned to the US after the 5 years ?[/QUOTE
Not all states but some do have time limits. The timing of your service requirement is unfortunate. If there is any way to defer for a year I would take that option. And once licensed you would have continuing ed requirements you would have to stay on top of but you could probably do a lot of that from abroad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My personal situation is that I received a scholarship to pursue a doctoral degree in clinical psychology but after I completed my degree my country required me to return home and participate in obligatory service (for 5 years). The country is not governed by APA rules and requirements, and psychology is super underdeveloped here. However, by doing this I have left the US and will not do a post-doc or get licensed soon. So would I be completely screwed if I returned to the US after the 5 years ?

Is there anyone in your country who could possibly supervise you for 12 months? I never completed a clinical postdoc. I did a research postdoc and didn't return to clinical work until 3 years after I graduated. Looking back, I should've done a split clin/research postdoc to make mobility easier. Nonetheless, I did get licensed in a state that didn't require postdoc hours and will be getting supervision on my job to obtain postdoc hours in the event I move to a state that requires it. I say all that to say - make your life easier, if possible.

There are a few states (Washington state, at least) where you don't need supervised postdoctoral hours to become licensed. So if you run into difficulty getting that, and have some geographic flexibility, you should be fine. You will of course need to still pass the licensing exam, and ensure that you meet the state's requirements for pre-doc supervised hours.

was it an APA accredited program?

There are at least 11 states that don't require postdoc hours. But you can also come back now and try to find a supervised postdoc.

IF you did not have an APA accreditation program, that will be the bigger barrier.