Is there a way to tell whether courses will count toward sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jw123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I apologize if this has been asked before, I searched but couldn't really find my exact question so here it goes. I'm looking to take 1 or 2 courses in the summer. One is called Basic Anatomy and Physiology (BIO 161). I'm assuming that this will count as a science course when I apply but is there any way to tell for sure. The reason i'm not positive if it will or not is because it's offered under the health sciences (where other courses such as med assistant are at )section at the college not the physical sciences section.

My other question is about taking a basic microbiology class. its only a 1.5 credit hour class with no lab i don't think. do you know if a class like WITHOUT a lab portion would still be counted? I thought about emailing the AACOM but figured they wouldn't respond.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I apologize if this has been asked before, I searched but couldn't really find my exact question so here it goes. I'm looking to take 1 or 2 courses in the summer. One is called Basic Anatomy and Physiology (BIO 161). I'm assuming that this will count as a science course when I apply but is there any way to tell for sure. The reason i'm not positive if it will or not is because it's offered under the health sciences (where other courses such as med assistant are at )section at the college not the physical sciences section.

My other question is about taking a basic microbiology class. its only a 1.5 credit hour class with no lab i don't think. do you know if a class like WITHOUT a lab portion would still be counted? I thought about emailing the AACOM but figured they wouldn't respond.

Thanks

I don't really understand why you can't figure out if it will be counted in your science GPA or not. If you read the instructions it specifically states that anatomy and/or physiology is a science class. Also, the fact that the course is called BIO 161. Microbiology is also science, keyword is microbiology. Why would a lab make any difference? If you really are that paranoid about it, I deffinatly wouldn't email them (like you stated), maybe a phone call, but I think it's unnecessary.

Uh yeah anything offered by your BIOLOGY department really shouldn't offer any ambiguity over whether or not it counts as sGPA

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone refer me to the list of what is considered under the BCPM classes? I've taken a lot of science and math classes and I'm not sure if all of them would count...i.e. something like Earth and Space Science, Human Body, etc.

Thanks,
Kris

Can someone refer me to the list of what is considered under the BCPM classes? I've taken a lot of science and math classes and I'm not sure if all of them would count...i.e. something like Earth and Space Science, Human Body, etc.

Thanks,
Kris

I believe the BCPM term is for the allopathic medical application service. AACOMAS uses "science GPA" in it's place. What counts as science and other designations are found on the doc that Bear posted above. There are some striking differences between the two in that Math classes are not counted towards one's science GPA for DO school applications.

I may be wrong about the details here...forgive me its been a year since I did this.

I believe the BCPM term is for the allopathic medical application service. AACOMAS uses "science GPA" in it's place. What counts as science and other designations are found on the doc that Bear posted above. There are some striking differences between the two in that Math classes are not counted towards one's science GPA for DO school applications.

I may be wrong about the details here...forgive me its been a year since I did this.

Nope, you're spot on! :)

thanks, CB!

Sure thing!