Is there any Canadian who got in a US school with a crappy carving score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any Canadian who got into a US school with a crappy carving score (i.e. below 20)? If so, which school is it?

Members don't see this ad.

Since carving is not a fundamental area on the American DAT, most US schools will not even look at that score on grounds of acceptance or rejection like they do at Canadian dental schools. Most will not even consider the score in that section, although they may look favorably or unfavorably upon it for conversation's sake at the interview.

Put all your Canadian questions in a single thread, no need to make a bunch mmmkay?

To answer your question, since the US DAT has no carving section, why would the adcoms look at your carving score? They aren't familiar with the section anyways. Even some Canadian schools don't even look at the carving section.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a crappy carving score too... I don't think it's a huge issue, but I may be wrong. I wasn't asked about it during an interview, but I saw it got circled...

My carving score was a 4 and I still managed to get into 3 schools in the US. So yea, I would say it really doesn't matter.

My carving score was a 4 and I still managed to get into 3 schools in the US. So yea, I would say it really doesn't matter.

Hey, did you make a typo over there with the "4"? Just wanna be sure...

I wish it was...but no ....it is a 4! My soap broke right in half (too much stress)....and then there was very little I could do with it :(
Hey, did you make a typo over there with the "4"? Just wanna be sure...

I wish it was...but no ....it is a 4! My soap broke right in half (too much stress)....and then there was very little I could do with it :(

which schools did u get in, if u don't mind me asking?

my carving was 11, I only got into NYU.

NYU, Tufts, U of L....waitlisted at BU. I don't think they care much about carving. My other DAT scores aren't bad and my gpa isn't too bad either. I did well in all my years except 1st year. So I don't think carving will limit anyone's chances at least in the US.
which schools did u get in, if u don't mind me asking?

my carving was 11, I only got into NYU.

NYU, Tufts, U of L....waitlisted at BU. I don't think they care much about carving. My other DAT scores aren't bad and my gpa isn't too bad either. I did well in all my years except 1st year. So I don't think carving will limit anyone's chances at least in the US.

That's Good, I expected to hear from Tufts and BU, but I didn't, I contacted Tufts the other day to see what their reasons were, and I figured out since I took my pre-reqs in a college, it had been a problem, even though the college I went to was a tough one, and when I transfered to UBC I was relieved and relaxed to be freed of that college, it was one of the most competitive ones, but anyways, that's what Tufts said and I didn't argue any further :oops:

my AADSAS GPA was 3.7
DAT science 22
chem 27
bio 22
read 19
PAT 19

Your DAT and GPA are great! Im surprised you didn't hear from other places...but NYU is not all that bad either. At least you saved travel expenses plus accomodation expenses! That really takes a toll on you. And at the end you will be attending ONE school! And I dont' believe any dental school is drastically different from another. Anyway, from your GPA and DAT, it seems like you will probably excel no matter which school you end up in. Also, I know a few people who didn't end up getting a single acceptance yet, with similar DAT's and a better GPA! So I would say we r the lucky ones!

That's Good, I expected to hear from Tufts and BU, but I didn't, I contacted Tufts the other day to see what their reasons were, and I figured out since I took my pre-reqs in a college, it had been a problem, even though the college I went to was a tough one, and when I transfered to UBC I was relieved and relaxed to be freed of that college, it was one of the most competitive ones, but anyways, that's what Tufts said and I didn't argue any further :oops:

my AADSAS GPA was 3.7
DAT science 22
chem 27
bio 22
read 19
PAT 19

btw, mf83. Did you have alot of extra-curricular activities and good references? Your number looks good. I am suprised that you only got in NYU,

sorry I'm replying late, I totally forgot to check this website,

anyways, I had enough extra curricular activities,
volunteering for 2 dentists and a dental community center and a period of volunteer research assistanc at UBC for 4 months.

I don't know if I mentioned that earlier, but my carving was 11, and I'm thinking maybe that was an issue!:confused: even though I was told that shouldn't be a factor.

anyways when I think of my acceptance at NYU, yes, I shouldn't take it for granted, but I think I deserved better.

oh and my references were GREAT, I just know that:p