Is there ANY hope for me?

Started by mizderi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mizderi

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
University: Rutgers University
Major: Exercise Science & Sports Studies
Overall GPA: 3.0
Pre-Req GPA: 2.6
GRE: V: 550, Q: 650, AW: 4.5

Extra-Curric: Religious Fellowship, Rutgers Rising Leaders Institute, Lab Supervisor for Rutgers OIT, Garden State Running Club

Volunteer: 456 hours at a sports medicine outpatient facility, currently volunteering in sub-acute inpatient rehabilitation facility (~20 hours thus far)

My Pre-Req GPA is absolutely terrible but I think my GRE scores are halfway decent. And I'm not sure about my volunteer hours. I'm currently in a graduate school program at Rutgers and taking Exercise Endocrinology, Exercise Biochemistry, and Nutrition for Sports & Exercise. Any input? I've already submitted applications to UCSF/SFSU, Samuel Merritt, Stockton, Touro, and planning on submitting to UMDNJ soon. Does anybody have any opinions on credentials? Any advice or guidance is extremely welcome! Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
Both your pre-req and cgpa are on the low side. Most pt schools have a cutoff at 3.0 for the pre req gpa as well. You'll need to retake some that you received C's in if you truly want acceptance to PT school. Your extra curriculars seem good and so does your GRE, but there really isn't anything that will make up for that pre req gpa. I'm afraid I'm probably just telling you what you already know? How long is that masters program? Can you list your individual pre req grades? Because if there's only a few C's and the rest are decent it may not be as improbable. Not everyone takes the same path to the top...
 
mizderi is that GPA your undergrad score or grad school? PT schools are interested in the undergrad degree completion and GPA.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I figured as much. My pre-req GPA probably won't get me in anywhere but I thought I'd ask anyways. The master's program is supposed to last approximately 2 years, but I'm hoping to finish in less than that. The pre-req GPA is for my undergrad education. My freshmen year was a bit...rough to say the least, and chemistry killed me.

How much does the personal statement, recommendations, and observation hours factor in?
 
How much does the personal statement, recommendations, and observation hours factor in?

That depends based on who you ask. Different schools place different values on those categories. I guess a generalized answer would be ~15% for each of those things in terms of how much they are considered out of everything.

I have spoken with a local school I plan to apply to, and they've basically told me the following, (but keep in mind this is ONE school's opinion, and this school happens to be one of the more competitive ones):
The GPA makes them look at your application in the first place. It's the other factors that then omit you from consideration if one of those categories is terrible. Personal statements/recommendations only really make a difference when they make you seem extraordinary, which is rare. Lastly, observation hours are probably the most important non-GPA, GRE thing you can have. They want to make sure you are ready for clinicals.

Someone with more experience can probably give you a more accurate answer than I can, but from what I can tell (I've spoken to a lot of people about this, I just don't have experience with it myself yet) my answer is accurate of that ONE school I looked at. I know other schools place more importance on observation hours, some don't even look at GRE's, and some highlight the personal essay/recommendations.
 
Last edited:
A couple of the schools I have applied to said they screen the GPA / PGPAs specifically the science ones for first cut-to send on to the admin. com. Minimums must be met....
 
I concur with NeophyteParkour - you would have to check out each of the schools you are interested in for their particular criteria.
For the school I got into (UIC), 40% of the weight is on items not entirely specific to GPA and test scores:
http://www.ahs.uic.edu/pt/programs/dpt_apply_criteria.php
Of course, improving your pre-reqs would certainly reflect better on your application, but take heart that schools do look for well-rounded and diverse entering classes.
Hope this helps - keep plugging away!
 
That depends based on who you ask. Different schools place different values on those categories. I guess a generalized answer would be ~15% for each of those things in terms of how much they are considered out of everything.

I have spoken with a local school I plan to apply to, and they've basically told me the following, (but keep in mind this is ONE school's opinion, and this school happens to be one of the more competitive ones):
The GPA makes them look at your application in the first place. It's the other factors that then omit you from consideration if one of those categories is terrible. Personal statements/recommendations only really make a difference when they make you seem extraordinary, which is rare. Lastly, observation hours are probably the most important non-GPA, GRE thing you can have. They want to make sure you are ready for clinicals.

Someone with more experience can probably give you a more accurate answer than I can, but from what I can tell (I've spoken to a lot of people about this, I just don't have experience with it myself yet) my answer is accurate of that ONE school I looked at. I know other schools place more importance on observation hours, some don't even look at GRE's, and some highlight the personal essay/recommendations.

I spoke to a professor at sfsu and she suggested I retake anatomy for the sake of showing that I am dedicated to this profession but I was unable to fit it into my schedule this semester. She said everything else looked good so I was encouraged. But after looking at all the other applicant stats on this forum I'm not so sure if that's even possible, so I figured I'd ask. Thanks for your help!
 
I concur with NeophyteParkour - you would have to check out each of the schools you are interested in for their particular criteria.
For the school I got into (UIC), 40% of the weight is on items not entirely specific to GPA and test scores:
http://www.ahs.uic.edu/pt/programs/dpt_apply_criteria.php
Of course, improving your pre-reqs would certainly reflect better on your application, but take heart that schools do look for well-rounded and diverse entering classes.
Hope this helps - keep plugging away!

I actually submitted an application to UIC earlier today...and hopefully perhaps maybe...I'll have a chance. Thanks for your help!
 
A couple of the schools I have applied to said they screen the GPA / PGPAs specifically the science ones for first cut-to send on to the admin. com. Minimums must be met....

If you don't mind me asking, what schools have you applied to? The schools I've selected to apply to, most of them anyways, probably aren't top top TOP tier.
 
PTCAS has just sent out my application to the following 10 programs:

-Touro College (Manhattan and Bay Shore)
-Touro University Nevada
-Des Moines University
-A.T. Still University
-Missouri State University
-Midwestern University (IL)
-Azusa Pacific University
-Widener University
-Western University of the Health Sciences
-Tennessee State University


Here are my stats according to PTCAS:

Cumulative GPA: 3.09
PTCAS Core GPA: 2.82
GRE: 1030 --> 630 Q, 400 V, 4.0 AW
PT Observation Hours: 2405 hours in three settings including inpatient and outpatient (2200 as a Rehab Aide)

Key Extracurriculars: Current Pre-PT Club President, Rugby Club Member, Research Intern for Disabilities Research

My grades are not the best but I feel as though I have enough strengths in other areas to be seriously considered as an applicant. Your thoughts?
 
PTCAS has just sent out my application to the following 10 programs:

-Touro College (Manhattan and Bay Shore)
-Touro University Nevada
-Des Moines University
-A.T. Still University
-Missouri State University
-Midwestern University (IL)
-Azusa Pacific University
-Widener University
-Western University of the Health Sciences
-Tennessee State University


Here are my stats according to PTCAS:

Cumulative GPA: 3.09
PTCAS Core GPA: 2.82
GRE: 1030 --> 630 Q, 400 V, 4.0 AW
PT Observation Hours: 2405 hours in three settings including inpatient and outpatient (2200 as a Rehab Aide)

Key Extracurriculars: Current Pre-PT Club President, Rugby Club Member, Research Intern for Disabilities Research

My grades are not the best but I feel as though I have enough strengths in other areas to be seriously considered as an applicant. Your thoughts?


Did you hear back from tennessee state university? I have my interview on monday so i wanted to know if you could tell me how the interview process is.
 
Did you hear back from tennessee state university? I have my interview on monday so i wanted to know if you could tell me how the interview process is.

Got rejected a while ago. Did not even receive an interview.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad