Is there any point of research fir 6 weeks??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socrates89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so I'm in my hometown for like 6 weeks and i decided to conduct research at the local med school but the problem is that its like lab research and im only here for like 6 weeks so is there any point of going for it because I'm probably not gonna get published and it might just take 6 weeks to start it???

Also I wanted to know is there any type of research that can be done with out going to the lab? I know there is clinical research where you look at statistics and write a report from it so what type of research is this and with what type of department could I find it???

Also I know that most people have already started summer research at their local school by getting in touch before the summer began I wanted to know hypothetically they have like 8 weeks of summer break before they get back to school do most of them get publishsed or do they tend to carry the studies over into their second your of med school and get published?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you jumping onto a project that's already started and has its experimental model proven? Or would you have to design your own experiment and start from scratch?

As for clinical research, lots of it involves chart review and writing papers based on that. There are also shorter, less-intensive case reports that you can write up.

Usually med students would contact whichever department they're interested in (e.g. Department of Surgery for me), find a research mentor, then work with him/her to see what projects are in the pipeline.

And often unless you're incredibly lucky or have a relatively short project, most med students have to do some work for the next year or two before they'll see a publication - it can take quite a while from the time you start collecting data to the time the paper actually gets published in a journal.

While a publication will be unlikely, you can still put summer research experience under the experiences section in your ERAS application. This is more akin to "extracurriculars" on your ERAS, so unless you really want to do research because you are interested in it, I would say go for it. If not, you should do something medically relevant that you enjoy.

Members don't see this ad :)
its not something that i would have to design from scratch but i would just join in and am not sure as to where they are in regards to putting out a paper.

and as im going through the department it seems that most professors are doing like basic work in the lab so how do I go about getting clinical?? who do i approach for that. I want to get into the stuff where I could do it at a distance such as continue it in my medical school which is far from my home town med school even after the summer and still get published?? Also could you guide me to a department and or post a link to a random college as to exactly know what type of people Im looking for???

as for case reports how do you find them and who grants you permission to write them?????

I want to get into the stuff where I could do it at a distance such as continue it in my medical school which is far from my home town med school even after the summer and still get published??

Hmmm...that's tough. You'd likely need online access to the hospital's electronic charting system.

As for case reports - the same attendings who you'd work with in doing clinical studies would be the ones to talk to about this.

Case reports are really easy to get if you can find an attending who is interested in working with you to this end. It is not the glory that a randomized control trial is. It is all about finding the right research mentor. 6weeks is a hell of a lot of time for a case report/lit review. A motivated student can do several during that period with the right resources.

What field of medicine are you interested in (if you know).

If all else fails, PM me with your e-mail info and I probably can get you a case report in the area of infectious disease and send you examples of ones that I have done and help you prepare it.