Is there anything wrong with being accepted one year, not going, and applying

Started by DrDre2001
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrDre2001

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My main question: Is there anything wrong with being accepted one year, not going, and applying again the next year?

Or can i just "post-pone" my Fall 2009 acceptance, and tell my schools that i want to go into their schools in fall 2010?


further information about my situation, it is not necessary to read this: I have been granted an interview at some big three schools for applications to the Fall 09 semeser. Even if i get accepted to these schools, I may not go however (I may stay in the US and go after DO schools).

If i stay in the US, I still may not get accepted into DO schools for the class of 2010. So I may have to apply again next year to the big three carribbean schools. So these schools will see that i was accepted a year before (this year, right now), but declined to go to their school. Will they think this is a problem?
 
Some schools, not sure of the big 3, like MUA will charge you a roll over fee to go into the next semester.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alright cool thanks for that info Mcgill, RussionJoo, and Anesthesio.

Now when i re-apply next year, do you think will they hold anything against me? Won't they be wondering about my comittment to their school if i declined to accept their acceptance to go to their school the year before?
 
that's always a posibility.. call the schools tell them you need put your application on hold for personal reasons and will reapply in a year or so. you might not even have to reapply because they'll still have your old application...
 
Maybe. They might ask, and just for that possibility you should have a relatively good answer for them (Read: or make one up, don't tell them they were your last and final option! It really is kind of a given), but at the end of the day I don't think anyone will be offended or anything like that. After all any institution is educational and business based. They want your money, all schools do as long as you're qualified in a basic sense.

Just let them know ahead of time whether or not you'll be in that term so that they can bump the next person on the wait list up. I think it's more an issue of being considerate with time and allowing other people who are ready to start the term now than anything else.
 
I'm in the same situation as DrDre: applied to Carrib for Fall 09 but also applying to DO for 2010. Does anyone know if Ross lets you postpone for a semester? and do they charge anything for doing this?