Is there even any point in continuing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wookiewookie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...I just got another B as a final grade on my transcript and I guess I need an honest evaluation. I feel like there is point in continuing with any more school work given my current grades and that I will never get accepted, much less an invite.

I got a B in Bio 1 (5 credit hours) and I will get an A in Phy 1 (4 credit hours). This means that I have more Bs than As and have nowhere near a competitive GPA. These classes are also being done at cc (by profs that teach the same classes at 4 year- just FYI).

The reason I'm questioning this, with urgency, is that I am in my second trimester with second child and have 4 classes to finish before taking the MCAT for the first time in May 2013. Given the impending delivery, I would like to take two classes this summer semester and try to push through it (so to speak), and just give it my all and commit to a hellish 8 week semester of brutal schedules and studying. I was up for it and still am (?), but at this point, I feel like why bother? With my current situation, why kill myself and spend time away from my kid and make my summer a living hell for me and everyone around me when I won't get in anywhere anyway?

I have been volunteering for about a year (hospice), have shadowed with a DO, have zero research and have a very nonstellar GPA, undergrad and post-bacc.

(I missed the A in Bio by 13 points, all of which could have been done via an extra credit assignment worth 8 points and 7 points for labs that I missed bc I didn't stay until the end of a few classes when he decided to surprise assign them. The syllabus never stated points would be given during classtime, and the prof won't let me make them up (however, another pregnant student got to take all exams later than everyone else bc she vocalized her 'medical condition'). I have contacted him several times and he won't budge. I cannot even breathe right now.

Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds to me like you need a serious break. What if you put school stuff aside until after you're post-partum? It'll still be there waiting for you, if you still want it.

Best of luck to you.

Of course you should go on; if this is your dream (and i suspect it is), never give up. Don't leave anything on the table. Maybe take a break as the previous poster said or just take one class. You aren't out of the running yet and if you get done and your GPA is holding you back retake the B's and apply DO. Don't give up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure on the exact numbers, but its bad. Undergrad is a solid 3.1. BCPM is maybe 3.2 - 3.3? And its not going anywhere ever bc I have so many credits and sooooo mannnnyyy Bs...

Even if I had gotten an A in Bio, it would have made a tiny dent in my BCPM GPA. I was just commited to nothing but As and this is a huge blow. Throughout this whole process, I always told myself I would finish when I was accepted somewhere, but honestly, this inability to get good grades has me questioning my abilities and I don't see myself being taken seriously with these grades.

I don't think a B in Bio should stop you. I had an undergrad gpa of 3.2 when I went back and started my prereqs. I ended up with a 3.4 science gpa, even after a B- in orgo 1 and C+ in orgo 2 (though both were retaken to A-). I did have to do a one year smp, but was able to get a DO and MD acceptance.

I think you're far from done.

Your GPAs while not ideal are not in the unacceptable range ie. <3.00. I believe with a good MCAT ~ 30 or close to it, you would have a great shot at DO. I know it can be deflating to not earn the grade you had your heart set on, but don't lose sight of your end goal. Grade replacement may not be ideal for you if your lowest grades are Bs, however I would retake any C or lower classes. Good luck, I think you realistically still have a good chance at becoming a physician.

Accepted Class of 2016 MD

Wookie take a break and spend some time with your children. You'll be grateful and so will they. Reassess where you want to be a year from now and set some new goals to get there. Take a lighter load and do well in those classes. Study hard for the MCAT (consider taking a reputable prep course) and get in some good EC's (volunteer or research). Make sure to get good letters of recommendation during this process and you should be fine.

Take some time to be with your kids and regroup, school will still be there. I had to withdraw after my 1st year, and now 5yrs and three kids later I am back in applicant pool. It can be done, if this is your dream, go for it, just take some time for yourself first.

1. Breathe
2. Stay calm
3. Continue on
4. Breathe

I got into DO with a 3.2 c/sGPA. I have 80cr of PB work at 3.9. That means there was a couple Bs... it's OKAY you won't DIE!!!

1. Breathe
2. Stay calm
3. Continue on
4. Breathe

I got into DO with a 3.2 c/sGPA. I have 80cr of PB work at 3.9. That means there was a couple Bs... it's OKAY you won't DIE!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what was your MCAT score? You can PM me if you'd rather not post it publicly.