Step I IS THERE HOPE FOR ME???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Step1woes

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone.
I’m very worried about my step 1 score... I’m taking the test in mid-March and beginning to study (dedicated) in the second week of January. The problem is I have always been below average as a student in medical school and have had to retake 2 exams. My goal score is 230+ because I really want to get into a competitive IM or Peds program. Is there any hope for me to get the 230? I plan to use DIT, Rx, pathoma, and uworld. Any suggestions?
 
Hey everyone.
I’m very worried about my step 1 score... I’m taking the test in mid-March and beginning to study (dedicated) in the second week of January. The problem is I have always been below average as a student in medical school and have had to retake 2 exams. My goal score is 230+ because I really want to get into a competitive IM or Peds program. Is there any hope for me to get the 230? I plan to use DIT, Rx, pathoma, and uworld. Any suggestions?
Seems like you already have a pretty good idea for the exam. If you are an American or Carribean student/graduate, 2 months of solid dedicated prep would suffice I would say. I suggest you keep your sources minimal and try acing those. People in the hundreds have scored 240+ with the tried and tested UFAP method - Uworld, FA(which you surprisingly did not mention) Pathoma. Anything more than that, in my opinion, is an add-on and might take more time. Remember you don't have time to experiment once dedicated begins. Good luck!
 
Hey everyone.
I’m very worried about my step 1 score... I’m taking the test in mid-March and beginning to study (dedicated) in the second week of January. The problem is I have always been below average as a student in medical school and have had to retake 2 exams. My goal score is 230+ because I really want to get into a competitive IM or Peds program. Is there any hope for me to get the 230? I plan to use DIT, Rx, pathoma, and uworld. Any suggestions?

The things with the highest correlation are your 2nd year grades > mcat score. That said there are people who overcome poor grades/test taking ability. All you can do is try as hard as you can and let the chips fall where they may.